Author Topic: How to remove the front sight block  (Read 35334 times)

withergyld

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Resident Turd Herder
    • http://yugosks.net
How to remove the front sight block
« on: September 21, 2006, 12:02:11 AM »
A while back I posted how I removed the FSB on two of my SKS rifles to repair bubbas handiwork. I do not have a press so I used a gear puller, part of a flaring tool and a piece of aluminum. First I used a hammer and apunch to drive out the two pins that hold the FSB in place. The flaring tool was placed around the FSB between the bayonet lug and the front sight.  The gear puller is hooked onto the flaring tool and the block of aluminum placed between the muzzle and the end of the shaft of the gear puller to protect the crown.  The screw on the gear puller is then tightened.  Here are some pictures of how I did it.

My web pages have moved to http://yugosks.net  Please update your bookmarks.

4 8 15 16 23 42

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:50:17 PM »
Bravo! I have been looking for a method to remove the FSB using ordinary tools and will keep this in a file. Now....post some pics of your method to reinstall it.
I couldn't get this thing to write normal or cursive, so I didn't sign my name. I've been reading all these magazines too, but all they say is "Made In The USA, Counts As 3 Compliance Parts"

withergyld

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Resident Turd Herder
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:04:44 PM »
I just lightly oiled the outside of the barrel and inside of the FSB.  I then aligned it best I could and used a hammer and hard wood block to tap it back on.  It is MUCH easier to put back on the take off.  After I had it the proper distance from the muzzle I used two large adjustable wrenches (one on the gas block and one on the FSB) to rotate the FSB on the barrel so that it was straight and not canted.  Finally once everything was how I wanted it I replaced the pins.  One hole did not quite line up with the slot in the barrel and I had to drill it out slightly to get the second pin back in.

4 8 15 16 23 42

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:01:10 PM »
Good deal. I have converted one of my 3 Norincos into a dedicated deer rifle. I have drilled and tapped the receiver and bolted on a Chaote mount, a 3-9x50 scope, shell deflector, and now feel comfortable with removing the FSB (temporarily) to streamline the rifle. I am also removing the front sling loop, that piece of metal hanging from the side of the barrel does not help accuracy. Now if I can only get some plans to bed the stock............. Thanks alot pal.
I couldn't get this thing to write normal or cursive, so I didn't sign my name. I've been reading all these magazines too, but all they say is "Made In The USA, Counts As 3 Compliance Parts"

BlenderWizard

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 05:40:19 PM »
Any chance someone would please make this a sticky?

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »
Please?????????? Good information here for all to know. Thanks.
A block of brass would also work if you dont have aluminum in the shop.

withergyld

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Resident Turd Herder
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:34:13 PM »
Anything softer then steel would work. The main idea is to protect the crown of the barrel from the hardened steel of the shaft of the gear puller.

4 8 15 16 23 42

BlenderWizard

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 09:01:38 PM »
Quote from: woodhippy
Please?????????? Good information here for all to know. Thanks.
A block of brass would also work if you dont have aluminum in the shop.

A block of wood would, too

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »
I have already begun by removing the pins. I have to borrow a puller, but have all the other components. I am also wrapping the crown with duct tape to further protect it, and will remove it as the FSB assembly comes loose.

Serellan

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 02:45:43 PM »
I use the "2x4" method.  First, I punch the pins.  Then, I put the rifle muzzle down on a thick piece of carpet.

Then, I take a long 2x4, and longwise, strike the base of the GB from the top.  I don't swing it down, but rather "punch" down, as if I was setting a post in a hole.  Usually takes about 4 or 5 times to come off.

Does that make sense?
My SKS's

"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
A BIG brass mallet works wonders as well. I could'nt wait to borrow the gear puller, padded the crown real well, and 3 sharp raps to the bayo lug with the brass mallet took it right off with no marks or damage.

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 10:47:22 PM »
This is great info, but I cant even get the pins out.
"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 04:44:38 PM »
I know what you mean, I had a hell of time getting mine drifted out as well. I didnt have a drift small enough and had to cut the end of small drill bit off and grind it smooth to get the pins out. I got them out and cleaned up the barrel and touched it up with some cold blue. I aslo commited the collectors cardinal sin and cut off the sling loop, Dremeled it smooth and blued it as well. I have my eye on a SIMS De-resonator, wonder if it is worth the $12.99.

sniper47

• SKS Expert
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 11:41:43 PM »
Is there any other implement besides the flaring tool that would work the same?
"Do yah feel lucky, punk? Well....do yah?"
                        Inspector 71

withergyld

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Resident Turd Herder
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 09:13:37 AM »
The gear puller I had would not grab onto the sight block alone.  Anything that will fit around the sight block that is sturdy should work.  I'm a plumber so I already had the flaring tool.

4 8 15 16 23 42