Author Topic: New rifle/New member  (Read 3222 times)

monkey

• SKS Newbie
New rifle/New member
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »
Hey all,

Just got a new sks, and am trying to figure it out.  I read the sticky's and have been doing lots of research but haven't come up with all the answers yet.  I hope you guys can help

The gun is a Norinco.  The left side fo the receiver reads like this.. /306\ (3 Chinese characters) 1814XXX J

Then it says SKS 7.62X39 MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO POLY USA ATL GA

The gun is in a black composite stock, came with a spike bayonet and od sling.  All the serial numbers I have found match.  

So...what exactly do I have?  It was made in '74 right?  Does anyone know where factory 306 is?  

the gun is in 90-95% condition, very nice.  What do you suppose it is worth?

Thanks a bunch for the help everyone.

Pylefmj

• SKS Expert
    • http://www.somethingawful.com
New rifle/New member
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 06:14:55 PM »
Welcome aboard monkey!

Your SKS has a replacement stock, probably made by ATI.  The gun is worth in the $180 to $220 range in most place.  Price also depends on how many chinese sks's an area may have and some other factors.
Since 1968, 911 emergency line promised safety from crime.  .45ACP has delivered on that promise since 1905.

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
Re: New rifle/New member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »
Hi, monkey, and WELCOME ABOARD!!!!

Quote from: monkey

The gun is a Norinco.  The left side fo the receiver reads like this.. /306\ (3 Chinese characters) 1814XXX J

Then it says SKS 7.62X39 MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO POLY USA ATL GA
It was made in factory 306, and I have no idea where it is any closer than "somewhere in China."  The second set of markings are the importers marks, placed there by the company that brought it into the country.  I'm not sure who "Poly" is, but they are/were located in Atlanta, Georgia at the time of importation.
The gun is in a black composite stock, came with a spike bayonet and od sling.  All the serial numbers I have found match.  
Sounds like you have a nice original rifle that the previous owner has mounted in a poly stock.  It's unfortunate that it's not in it's original wood but there are Chinese fiberglass and wood stocks available so if you want to put it back into "original" condition, less matching s/n on the stock, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

the gun is in 90-95% condition, very nice.  What do you suppose it is worth?
A lot depends on where you are (which is one of the reasons why there is a location slot in the profile) but I'd guess that an average retail price would be somewhere in the $200 area.

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

MD20748SPEAKS

• SKS Expert
New rifle/New member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:05:27 PM »
The only 306 I've seen was a side mount swivel.  Fine gun and Poly is in  the Norinco Empire.  I have one Poly out of ATL, Ga.  Look under Norinco on a search. It's on this board somewhere.  I have a 1979 factory 26 with a plastic tickler handguard Polytech, USA, Atl, Ga..   Best of my chi-com and they are all pretty. Missed it, the 306, beaucse with the prior purchases from said dealer I thought I was good.  He was on.  Now sold and gone (the gun store).  26 "final run" with '80  (who knows about the Chi-Com production) from founder of store when they sold off the estate.  Some of it.
IF YOU DIDN'T LEARN IT YESTERDAY, THERE'S HOPE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND IT TODAY

archivist dick

• SKS Marksman
I Stand By MD20748Speaks
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 10:57:18 PM »
He's right, of course.

Monkey, all I'd care to add is to assure you that the rifle was made up for the PLA as GI-issue.

I can stand -- actually -- by Mike coz I too smoke cigars; not too many of us left who do; what a pity; commun kidz, light one up!
As for training, the main objective should be to raise the level of technique in marksmanship and bayoneting.  -- Chairman Mao

monkey

• SKS Newbie
New rifle/New member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 06:06:59 PM »
oops double tap

monkey

• SKS Newbie
New rifle/New member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:07:25 PM »
thanx for the informative replies everyone.

did i get the 1974 production right?

btw, i'm wanting this as a shooter.  any specific suggestions on sight upgrades?

MD20748SPEAKS

• SKS Expert
New rifle/New member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
Thank U Dick who is an Archivist.   Where did the good ones go (cigars that is)?  We are 1 in thinking. Check the sticky on date, it's by Archivist Dick, I'd say by the one I saw, it would be in the 70' with the stock.
IF YOU DIDN'T LEARN IT YESTERDAY, THERE'S HOPE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND IT TODAY