Author Topic: 1st SKS Norinco Need Indentity  (Read 2084 times)

plum

• SKS Newbie
1st SKS Norinco Need Indentity
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:10:40 PM »
I got a SKS today from an elderly gentleman.  It is marked with a triangle with either 636 or g3g in the triangle, then three Chinese symbols, then 26002346, then Q, thenSKS 7.62x39 MADE IN CHINA  BY NORINCO CAL ST AL  8 V1.  CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THE MODEL I HAVE?   I also recieved a 50 round clip with it but cannot figure out how to get it in the mag where the other is.  I am new to these.

sniper47

• SKS Expert
Re: 1st SKS Norinco Need Indentity
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:12:24 AM »
Quote from: plum
I got a SKS today from an elderly gentleman.  It is marked with a triangle with either 636 or g3g in the triangle, then three Chinese symbols, then 26002346, then Q, thenSKS 7.62x39 MADE IN CHINA  BY NORINCO CAL ST AL  8 V1.  CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THE MODEL I HAVE?   I also recieved a 50 round clip with it but cannot figure out how to get it in the mag where the other is.  I am new to these.
Don't bother with the 50rd magazine, they rarely work. It's prolly 636. CAL ST AL is the importer. When you have time, check out the various FAQ's on the board. They contain tremendous information for newbie SKS owners. Also, do yourself a big favor and learn how to disassemble the firearm, including the bolt, clean it and then go shoot it. Enjoy!
"Do yah feel lucky, punk? Well....do yah?"
                        Inspector 71

KOOLmike

• I Think I'm Special
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:27:15 AM »
Good advice from sniper47. You'll likely encounter feed problems with that 50-rounder. The original 10-round box mag has never failed me in any of the SKSs I've owned.
Also, as sniper47 said, do a complete bolt disassembly to ensure that the firing pin channel is free of cosmoline.
Freedom is free when you let people be!

Wood: The Original FDE

Stolen Norinco SKS, Factory /26\, Serial Number 10107962, Stolen 9/4/2010 in Blue Springs, MO. Reward if found!

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
CAL ST AL 8 V1

It's actually CAI ST ALB VT

It means it was imported by Century Arms International, St. Albans, Vermont.

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THE MODEL I HAVE?

It's a standard Type 56 SKS, Chinese military issue.

The arsenal is most likely 636.  Check here to verify your triangle code.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »
You must remove the trigger housing. The you can remove the 10rd fixed mag. replace the TH. Then you can insert the duck bill end in the slot that the old mag locked into. then rotate the mag rearward while keeping the dbill wsecure in the slot. Pull back the mag retainer push mag a far upward as it will go and release mag retainer. it should lock the mag in place.
 But- I will echo what the others have said. Sell the Bubba mag and learn to use stripper clips. We have all done what you are trying to do and almost all of us go back to the original design. Its what works best. But, by all means, give it a try with the 50 rounder- We all learn better through experience. There are a few who like the high cap mags, maybe they will work for you. ;) l

plum

• SKS Newbie
what year?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »
anyone have any idea how old it is?  Can anyone shed light on the Q marking?  It is indeed 636 in the triangle.

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 05:22:14 PM »
anyone have any idea how old it is?

If the conventional dating method is applicable to the 636 arsenal production rifles (which has not been proven, but it's a relatively safe assumption), your rifle was made in 1982.

It's not uncommon to see a letter after the serial number.  I don't know what it means, but it's rather typical.

JiffyLube

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »
You may need to hold the bolt open while inserting the duckbill mag.
"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."  George W. Bush

archivist dick

• SKS Marksman
Be Careful
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 10:54:59 PM »
I'm w/ Sniper47 on this one, Plum.

I hadn't known 50-round magazines were available for these rifles ... wow!

If you had just acquired a select-fire rifle (an assault rifle fitted w/ a selector - or "fun" - switch) that is one thing, but you didn't, and that is something else.  Keep the fixed ten, like the comrades suggest, and either sell the high cap magazine, or - better yet - run it over w/ your pickup truck so no body gets hurt.

Sounds to me like you are now proud owner of a ChiCom Type 56 Carbine.  Cool.  Keep it stock; keep its value high and appreciating over the years.

Your rifle is late production.  And this is a safety concern for me should you follow advice proffered here and disassemble your bolt assembly.  You see, its firing pin may be of the second (or late) pattern too.  If you have it out, take a good look.  See it has two fins about one third way down the shaft from the tip, one top, one bottom.  When re-inserting it back into the bolt be sure the bottom fin is to the rear, the upper fin to the front.  Should you fail, you will have a runaway gun shooting full auto all day long.  If you're unprepared for that you could well wind up dead.

A safer, easier approach is to take a spare ziplock sandwich bag, fill same w/ paint thinner, and toss your complete bolt assembly therein.  Let her sit over night.  Squish when bored.  Retrieve in the morning.  Rattle the group back and forth.  See the firing pin move forward and to the rear effortless.  Job done.

Much has been made, Plum, about dried cosmo in firing pin channels.  In my experience this is no big deal.  Did have one stuck firing pin, tho, but that was in a rifle that had been "test fired" by a previous owner and put back in the stable wet.

There are on-line resources, Plum, on field stripping your rifle.  And they are good.  I'd suggest you procure a copy of Major James F. Gebhardt's THE OFFICIAL SKS MANUAL (Paladin Press, Boulder, CO, 1997, ISBN 0-87364-908-7) for a fuller understanding of this fine weapon and how to maximize its effectiveness real world, real time.  Good work.  Thank the old **** who sold you the gun for his kindness, for passing along a piece of history to someone who will respect it, for passing along a life saver for the times of trial ahead.  Do right by him and do honor to him.
As for training, the main objective should be to raise the level of technique in marksmanship and bayoneting.  -- Chairman Mao