Author Topic: Ramline stocks  (Read 2265 times)

Spobow

• SKS Marksman
Ramline stocks
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:50:07 AM »
What do y'all think of Ramline stocks? I acquired one with the handgaurd that is brand spankin' new in a trade and haven't decided yet if I want to keep it or not. Any opinions would be appreciated, so weigh in on it will ya.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
Ramline stocks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:08:26 PM »
I think the folding version is extra junk.

Ramline 10/22 Ruger hi-cap mags are the poorest of the variety -they seem to carry that rep with their entire product line.

Lollygagger  :|

Spobow

• SKS Marksman
Ramline stocks
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 10:25:13 AM »
The stock I have is the monte carlo stock from them.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
Ramline stocks
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 06:37:21 PM »
Quote from: Spobow
The stock I have is the monte carlo stock from them.

Amazingly, they seem to be pretty fair -not much different than Choate's (which is a over rated SKS monte carlo type stock, I think).

Lollygagger  :|

Spobow

• SKS Marksman
Ramline stocks
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »
Well, this is what I did with it. What do y'all think?

Used a little Rustoleum for platics textured paint.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
Ramline stocks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 08:37:50 PM »
Nice winter camo!

Lollygagger  ;)

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
Ramline stocks
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 01:00:20 PM »
Here is my RamLine Monte Carlo with my modified Norinco in it. You can safely add a sling swivel up front. I used a piece of flat metal cut to fit into the stock recess, drilled a hole in it for the swivel to thread into, and used lots of epoxy. I carried it all of deer season and it worked fine. I put the Choate scope mount on the rifle and used my Dremel to cut a small amount of the stock away so it would seat in the stock properly. As you can see, I removed the front sight block (stored for later use) and added a Limbsaver Deresonator. It has a Buffer Tech. recoil buffer in it (all of mine do), and a shell deflector to protect the Simmons 3x9x50 scope. Accuracy? This one shoots a 5 shot group you can cover with a quarter at 50 yards. Haven't shot it at 100yds. yet. You don't get many shots over 50 here in the thick cover in south east MO.
I couldn't get this thing to write normal or cursive, so I didn't sign my name. I've been reading all these magazines too, but all they say is "Made In The USA, Counts As 3 Compliance Parts"

magnut

• SKS Guru
Ramline stocks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:08:06 PM »
not crazy about these stocks.  I cant seem to get a tight fit with a pinned or a threaded barrel chicom.  Having these same problem with the choate.  When I put the action in the tock I can slide the entire action forward about 1/8 of an inch.  This is without the trigger assambly snapped into place.  The trigger and magazine make it tighter and I am not able to move it But I have a feeling it will shift all over when shooting. I will probably next try the Buttler Creek.  I was disapointed because I really wanted to do a choate folder.  Glass bedding may solve this but I have not done this before and from what I am reading, bedding glass epoxy does not stick well to molded stocks. :cry:

tacticalnarc

• SKS Newbie
Ramline stocks
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 08:08:40 PM »
No input on the Ramline.

I use the Choate on a few of my guns. I find that my Russian fits tight in the stock. My Norinco paratrooper has the same amount of play that's been mentioned. My Yugo is somewhere in between, no detectable play but it assembles a little too easily. I called Choate to see if it was possible to bed this stock. They said that it was possible to use Marine tex if you rough up the surface that you want it to stick to. I never tried it since I've never bedded any type of rifle. Someone with bedding experience might want to give it a try.

Kaishakunin

• SKS Newbie
Re: Ramline stocks
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 01:26:24 AM »
I have one on a Factory 26, and the stock will get loose when the rifle gets hot.  I have alleviated some of the looseness by gluing some bicycle innertube rubber at all the wear points that I have observed(barrel shank, receiver sides, forestock end thingy), and the groups shrank from 5" circles to 3" horizontal by 1.2" vertical(still need to add more rubber to tighten up on the receiver sides):

I recently discovered that I'm not 6'7", and I sawed 2 inches off the buttstock to fit my build.   :o)

In spite of all of its shortcomings, I still like the stock.  Hope this helps you...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:30:50 AM by Kaishakunin »
What a painful deception is the warrior who knows not the Way of Loyalty.

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 12:00:03 PM »
That is a fine looking rifle Kaishakunin, and welcome to the boards.
I couldn't get this thing to write normal or cursive, so I didn't sign my name. I've been reading all these magazines too, but all they say is "Made In The USA, Counts As 3 Compliance Parts"

redrider

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
i like your winter camo man did that turn out nice.
the bad thing is you just gave me a idea.

Kaishakunin

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 11:40:32 PM »
woodhippy, Thank You for the compliment, and Thank You for the welcome.

A funny story about this rifle:
-A couple of months ago, I was testing this rifle with different types of ammo to see which would match the BDC cam on the scope, and while I was setting up for the next yardage test, I overheard two AR guys next to me talking.  One asked the other how his respective M4 rifle clone was shooting, and received a vague answer in return.  "Kind of like that rifle?" as the questioner was motioning over to me.  Hearing that snide remark, I shot at and hit an 18" diameter steel plate that my range hung at the 400-yard line. Then I shot at and hit a 26" diameter plate at 500 yards.

...Dead silence from the two AR guys after that, followed by weird looks at my rifle while they were both trying to observe my shots from the rear table. :)

Oh, Yugoslavian surplus works best with this scope's BDC cam.  I got this scope on eBay from someone in Canada. It's way cheaper than the ZRAK setup.
What a painful deception is the warrior who knows not the Way of Loyalty.

Centuryhouse

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »
What do y'all think of Ramline stocks? I acquired one with the handgaurd that is brand spankin' new in a trade and haven't decided yet if I want to keep it or not.

If you get rid of your Ram-Line sporter stock, keep me in mind! I want another one!  8)

I have one of the Ram-Line folders from way back: works great but feels cheap.

I have one of the Ram-Line Sporter stocks (NOT the monte carlo, no cheek weld) and I LOVE it. I'm trying to buy a few more if I can find them used.

grimjaw

• SKS Marksman
    • http://grimjaw.net
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:19:23 AM »
I have the non-folding Ramline.  The stock itself is sturdy and well made, but the action has alot of play in it.  A bedding job would fix it up.  I haven't tried shooting with it yet.  The grip is thicker than the Choate sporter, but only a little bit.

jm