Author Topic: glass bedding an sks  (Read 2515 times)

magnut

• SKS Guru
glass bedding an sks
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »
Anyone done it.  Please share your experiences.  I am planning to glass bed a choate standard.  Just cant seem to get a good fit without the rife being able to shift forwards and backwards.

Please say how it turned out and what products you used.  I have never glass bedded before and am looking for information.

I posted this over at the homegunsmith forum earlier.

"Is this possible to do well.  I am working on a choate SKS project and cannot get a good fit.  Looking into glass beading.  People are telling me it wont stick to molded plastic.  Need help.  Also am looking to fill all empty cavities to make a very solid stock.  Dont even know where to start. "

GlockMonk

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Newbie
glass bedding an sks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »
I'm going to glass bed my para trooper next week. I just bought a couple boxes of Acraglas from Natchez Shooting Supplies. They're a lot cheaper than Brownells.

I prefer the natural wood grains on my SKS stocks, so I'm bedding an original wood stock. This is my first time also, so I bought a couple of extra original stocks, in case I screw up on the first one  :lol:

According to Acraglas, fiber stocks from Choate, Ramline, Buttler Creek, and one other does not stick well without a few extra steps. Depending on how much time you're willing to spend, and how handy you are, you may, or may not want to do those a few extra steps. If you have a fax machine, I could fax you the entire instruction sheet included with Acraglas.

I'm going to refinish the stock afterwards, and then Duracoat the metal parts. At least, that's the plan for now.

jonnyugo

• SKS Expert
glass bedding an sks
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:22:32 PM »
The secret to making any aftermarket stock work is to engage the front recoil lug on the action which will push the action backward and snug it up on the rear of stock, removing the front to back slop fit.

magnut

• SKS Guru
glass bedding an sks
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »
Huh????, I am not following you.  Could you please explain this.  I am not sure what you are saying by engaging the front recoil lug.  If there is something I am doing wrong I would apreciate the information as I am aout to toss a standard choate and ramline in the atic and forget about em.  Not happy with my fitting on these stocks.

magnut

• SKS Guru
glass bedding an sks
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:20:15 PM »
Is the recoil lug what sits behind the crossbolt on a standard wood stock?  If so this is not possible on any aftermarket stocks I have seen because there.  No crossbolt.  The action just kind of sits in there.

jonnyugo

• SKS Expert
glass bedding an sks
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 03:29:22 AM »
Yes. the front recoil lug is what engages the crossbolt in the oe wood stock. When you install the chote stock on the action you will see a gap of apx 1/4", give or take, between the lug and the stock. This is why the fit is so sloppy. This is how I fixed the problem. The parts you will need is (1) 1/4" Dia. X 12" long drill bit (1) 1/4" Dia. X 6" long drill bit (1) 1/4" Dia. escolater bolt ( looks like a carrage bolt only the head is flat, not convex. They have them at Lowes) (1) acraglass (not gel) kit. #1 with the chote stock installed on the action, take a scribe or punch and mark the location of the cleaning rod hole on to the stock. #2 remove the stock and with the 12 inch long drill bit, drill thru all support pillers front to back. #3 grind the round head of the escolator square to fit into stock. Install bolt into the newly drilled hole in the rear support piller. The head of the bolt is what will engage the the front lug and push the stock back and give a nice tight fit. Install the stock and check the fit, you will probly have to do a bit more shaping of the bolt head for the final fit. Make sure the bolt is far enough out so there is no front to back movement and the fit is snug .#3 Install the 1/4" X 6" drill bit into the front of the stock (fluted end into the stock as if you were drilling a new hole) so that when the stock is installed, it sticks out about 1/8" of a inch passed the stock saddle thru the cleaning rod hole. This takes out all up and down play in the fit of the stock#4 With the drill bit installed in the front and the bolt installed in the rear, fill the channel with acraglass to lock everything in rock tight.  It realy is not very hard to do this and only tools needed is a drill and a grinder. Like your self I was ready to trash this stock because of the poor fit and performance but after doing this the stock is by far my favorite and preforms beautifuly. As for using acraglass on syn. stocks, take a sharp punch or scribe and scratch the hell out of the areas you want it to stick to and it works great. Let me know if you have any other questions with this stock project, i will be happy to help.