Author Topic: Best .357 mag revolver under $400?  (Read 9762 times)

skcusloa

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Best .357 mag revolver under $400?
« on: September 19, 2005, 03:16:09 PM »
Requirements:
Chrome/stainless, quality, more inexpensive the better as long as reliability and qualtiy aren't sacrificed too much, I don't really think there are too many 357 mags that are of poor quality, but if there are I want to avoid them. He wants a medium length barrel.

You can shoot .38 special through a .357mag right?

It looks like academy sells rossi revolvers? Are there any thoughts on them?
Quote from: 1952Sniper
I'm calling PETA, and we'll see who has the last laugh.

TraumaSlave

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »
http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

GP100 @ the bottom of the page for $250. Not really a med length but is high quality. :wink:

ducktapehero

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:10:55 AM »
Any Smith, Ruger or newer Taurus should do. Some of the older Taurus's are a bit rough.

Yes you can shoot 38 Special out of a 357 but just remember to clean the chambers real good after using 38's or it can corrode the end of the chambers making it difficult to extract 357's should you use them at a later time.
http://ducktapehero.blogspot.com/

I was smited by Survivor himself and I lived.....barely.

skcusloa

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 12:03:54 PM »
Quote from: 1952Sniper
I'm calling PETA, and we'll see who has the last laugh.

spasmonaut

• SKS Marksman
  • Computer nerd and gun nut
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 01:38:19 PM »
Probably not worth the slight difference in price with the piece of mind you get frame a name with a better rep for quality and fit/finish.  Rossi isn't bad, mind you, in all cases I'm sure, but from the few specimens I've handled, they just didn't feel as well-constructed and possibly not as strong/durable as the "pricier" names.  Personally, I'd spend the extra $, or buy used, and come away with a purchase you know you can rely on.
Latest acquisitions:

1940 M1895 Nagant Revolver, M44 Laminated Mosin Nagant, Steyr M95/34 Mannlicher Carbine, and CZ-82

zcarp2

• SKS Newbie
Not recommended
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 04:50:07 PM »
I cruise the pawn shops and I have seen junked Rossi's.  Some people like them.  I have seen worn pawls and cylinder stars on 3 different Rossi's - 1 - .38 and 2 - .22.  That said, I've also seen a couple of Smiths that needed a lot of work.  Only 1 wouldn't advance the Cylinder.  Rugers just get loose - from my experience.  Haven't seen enough Colts to comment.  All guns wear out, some sooner than others.

So, if you don't intend to shoot a lot, a Rossi's fine.  If you want a plinker, get a used Smith for $250-ish.  Or a Ruger.  Full house power loads, the nod goes to Ruger SAA's.  Smiths and Rugers will loosen up over your lifetime.  Depends on how much shooting you intend to do.

Do a search on buying used guns and check timing and tightness.

Good Luck  Zcarp2

redbear

• SKS Sniper
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Makniksgroup/
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:22:51 PM »
I would HIGHLY recomend finding yourself a used S&W Model 66 or 686, probably a 4" or 6" woiuld do nicely. should eb able to find them in the $350-$400 watermark,a dn they will last you a lifetime if properly maintained.
Red war will fall on my enemies...

Зима Убивает

762Ghost

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 09:24:55 PM »
GP100 all the way.  Great out of the box .357 for under $400.
If I don't see you in the future, I 'll see you in the pasture.

DaveyDug

• SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/davidvanepps
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 10:08:12 PM »
Taurus 669 .357 mag.  It's the perfect all-around revolver.
(I've posted this pic before)

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking." A.A. Milne

josh

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 04:51:56 PM »
You can get a ported barell taurus for around 400.
If you want to fight terrorism start in Washington.

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »
TraumaSlave http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html
GP100 @ the bottom of the page for $250. Not really a med length but is high quality.

Caution! While this sounds like a good revolver, for most people interested in an all-around revolver it has a bad flaw, it is a: "Double Action Only Revolver" which is fine for some police work, but doesn't allow you to thumb cock the hammer for a fine, accurate single-action trigger pull.  Standard revolvers have both DA and SA capability.  Usually DA only is a police liability feature, or is featured on small pocket self-defense only revolvers.

Ruger GP100s are an excellent choice, as well as the S&W 686 and now discontinued K-Frame Model 66 (slightly smaller and lighter).
Taurus revolver are another good choice, and really only need a trigger/polish job to come up to the high standard of the excellent S&Ws trigger pull.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...

Sixtigers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
    • http://www.joeyrose.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »
Hmmm...I didn't know that the GP100 came in a DAO version...Both of mine are SA/DA.  Both are stainless, 6", and one has a full-lugged Bbl.  They're built like tanks.  I carried one in the woods for whole summers, while I was working, and did nothing but wipe the worst of my sweat off 'em at the end of the day.  Triggers aren't as good as the Smith and Wessons (IMHO), but they're so heavy duty!
"When is the last time you read a book by a militant black vegan homesteader who wanted to kill you? "--Thed

curly

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 10:38:57 PM »
The .357 that I like the feel of the best is the Ruger Security Six (what the GP100 replaced).  The way it feels in my hand is just unbeatable. I'm not sure what they're running right now, but I would think you could get one for under $400.
Selling a gun is like screwing your sister...it's just not right, man.-Foul

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

doneking

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • Southern Cracker
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 12:11:39 AM »
I'd vote for the Ruger GP100 or the SP101.  Both solid guns.  Find a used one and you can't beat them for the price.

DK
If you always do what you always did - You'll always get what you always got.  Change is essential!

^^

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • C'mon boys. Smokes, Let's Go!
    • OBEY!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 01:46:49 AM »
Quote from: skcusloa
Any opinons on rossi revolvers?

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=R357

Rossi is made by Taraus. The snubby .357 are a Taraus small frame with a different brand stamping for about $75 cheaper.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/