Author Topic: Best .357 mag revolver under $400?  (Read 9902 times)

ajax

• SKS Sniper
Best .357 mag revolver under $400?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
I'm also in the market for a .357 but I have to tell you, taurus cant be beat for the warranty (life of the arm, not the owner) and customer service.  this is the edge that will send me back to taurus with everything being equal.
Women: Nature's answer to the headache relieving effects of Ibuprofen.

chupacabrachus

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 01:04:03 AM »
Quote from: josh
You can get a ported barell taurus for around 400.

Mine was only 250 brand new, in box, and never fired from an old guy trying to liquidate his collection before he died so his familly wasn't stuck with the task of doing so.  It's a 617B (2" bbl. ported, 7-shot 357) and I couldn't be happier with it.  It has always worked, the trigger is fantastic (surprisingly for such an affordable firearm...I was expecting worse.), and the warranty cannot be beat.  Anyway, it sort of comes down to how much you're willing to spend. You can get a really nice used ruger for the same cost as a new taurus most of the time, and a new ruger isn't THAT much more.  I think the fit and finish is a LITTLE bit better on a ruger though.  

Basic rundown as far as quality and price goes:
Rossi < Taurus < Ruger < S&W
Chus estaba aquí.

tyesai

• SKS Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 06:20:55 PM »
I purchased a used Taurus 608 at a gunshow for less than $300 but more than $275 I can't remember exactly it has been a few years.  It has 8 shot capacity, a 4" barrel, stainless steel.  I love it.  2nd favorite pistol I own only behind my MKIII.

Lots of people gripe about Taurus but I have had 0 problems.  To me it is a Ford vs Chevy arguement when most folks start saying Taurus sucks, Smith rules blah blah.

We could goto the same restraunt on the same night and have the same waitress/waiter and I could say they kick butt while someone else says they eat butt.

I love my 8 perpetrator killer. :D
I came for the guns, I stayed for the politics.

Thed

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The Lorax
    • http://www.ironsightaction.com
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 09:39:22 PM »
I must admit I have been tinkering with the idea of getting a 4" Taurus 608. Thanks for posting your feedback on the models you have.

Is there anyone else making an 8 shot .357 revolver out there?

-Thed

ledom daor

more
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 07:39:56 PM »
Quote from: curly
The .357 that I like the feel of the best is the Ruger Security Six (what the GP100 replaced).  The way it feels in my hand is just unbeatable. I'm not sure what they're running right now, but I would think you could get one for under $400.

AMEN! I have a speed six

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: more
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 07:31:24 PM »
Quote from: ledom daor
Quote from: curly
The .357 that I like the feel of the best is the Ruger Security Six (what the GP100 replaced).  The way it feels in my hand is just unbeatable. I'm not sure what they're running right now, but I would think you could get one for under $400.

AMEN! I have a speed six

I purchased a new Ruger security six in 357mag with a 2 3/4" barrel in stainless in 1976 and i still have it today it has been an awesome performer all these many years. I had a brand new colt python at this time too with a 6" barrel while it was one of the most accurate 357's i have ever shot the pythons of this period were noted for getting out of time mine was too.  Out of time means when cocking the trigger the cylinder doesn't move into fully locked up position until the trigger is pulled and the cylinder locks in place a split second before the gun fires i sold it.  I recently been looking for a used ruger security six in 357mag with a 6" barrel.  I found one in blue still new looking for $199 I got lucky. I wish i could find another one in stainless for around that price too. These older 357mag rugers are scarce and hard to find.

I would go for a used or new ruger for sure.  

I like the older S&W heavier frame 357mags too I think its model 28 these are rarer than hens teeth to find too i never see these used at all.