Author Topic: Is Alaska a safe state for SHTF?  (Read 3017 times)

scuzzo84

• SKS Expert
Is Alaska a safe state for SHTF?
« on: January 16, 2007, 10:58:45 PM »
Out of all the states if SHTF would Alaska be considered a safer state than most others? Im talking as far as the state getting on lock down and someone coming to my door and asking to disarm.
**Everyone please bare with me with firearm questions I am new to them**

moulton

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • I see hidden people
Re: Is Alaska a safe state for SHTF?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
dosent alaska have the most military instalations in the US?

scuzzo84

• SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
dosent alaska have the most military instalations in the US?

seems you are right, guess thats answers it :)
**Everyone please bare with me with firearm questions I am new to them**

gunsmoke

• SKS Newbie
  • Hi there! ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:37:59 AM »
Alaska is the greatest place on earth. If anyone disagrees, they have  never been there. :lol:

Hatfield

• SKS Expert
  • Good ole Missouri Boy
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »
I dont think I would want to be in Alaska if the shtf.  If you had to bug out, I wouldn't want to be that cold all the time.  I guess there would be worse places though
-Hatfield

prodgi

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 11:21:07 PM »
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
"I'm not impressed by the guy who has 100,000 rounds of ammunition, I'm impressed with the guy who has a few thousand that trains and practices". - Lt. Col. David Grossman.

linkwarner

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 12:42:10 AM »
As much as I love Alaska, I wouldnt want to be there for a SHTF, I would rather be down in the lower 48 for that.  I like where I am now, cept for the Illinois part, I'm thinking about moving to Kentucky........ Same climate and landscape, no Blagoavich

Revolver C243

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 10:48:43 PM »
Link my friend of eight years, when SHTF , rod will have no authority over Southern Illinois, if anything, we'll JOIN west kentucky.....and remember...WWCND.

armydoggm4a3

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The Monkeyhouse Sentinel
    • Bushmaster Firearms, Inc
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:14:52 PM »
WWCND

He would roundhouse kick an atom bomb from NORAD HQ all the way down to Washington DC, then send his atomic love to NY State, Cook Co. Illinois, and California.

As for alaska...

When SHTF ill FMAO (freeze my ass off).  I, too, will stay right here in the comforts of Southern Illinois with revolver243 and link.  Our terrain and knowledge of the land on which we have lived for so long would be enough to slow, halt, and reverse any attacks from the feds.  Strip pits would become death pits.  Who is gonna disarm alaska anyways?  Its not like they can DO anything,  what bein' 3000 miles away from the lower 48.  I shall help the motherland, as that is where I'll be needed.  And revolver is right.  If illinois wants to disarm us, we could just say "well we aint part of IL anymore!" and secede.  That would be much easier than an armed resistance.
"Anybody who thinks clean, careful, respectful treatment of a food animal is repulsive has no place in my life and will never, ever see my genitals, much less touch them." - My Friend Franklin

Bonesaw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 01:24:07 AM »
I just got back from alaska, and if you can take the cold, it'd probably be a good place. There's so many mountain ranges people could hide in just like Osama :) . If the military can't find him, I don't think the National Guard would find a couple of guys in a cave on the side of Mt. McKinley haha.
"The Brotherhood of Man under the Fatherhood of God"

Conker

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
Alaska would be a great place for SHTF, if you are from the smaller cities, or live out beyond the city towards Fox or circle, they are kind of like their own little world. if you can plan accordingly, my first pick would be alaska or southern illinois. I have forgotten many things about alaska that could save my butt if I "bug out" to alaska. I hope to go back soon as in less than a year to live there. But it is quite nice up there. lots of animals to hunt, fish, and skin....just dont plan on bugging out up there in the middle of winter, may take till summer to thaw you out

ZapThyCat

• SKS Sniper
  • Gotta love the Yugo...
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 09:24:04 PM »
How did I miss this topic?

Alaska has the LOWEST population density per square mile, meaning there is a whole lot more land and a whole lot less people to deal with... not only that, but it also means that those great resources (hunting, fishing) are yours.  It also has the lowest amount of military per mile.  The major downside is that it's cold and dark in the winter.  If you can deal with that, then you shouldn't have too much in the way of problems, the summers are lush with plenty to eat.  Worry more about bears breaking into your cache's rather than people. 

~Jarrod~

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world:  if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight...."
                                       -John 18:36

Bonesaw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 01:43:41 AM »
'nother thing I just thought of: A lot of people would be bugging out, and a lot of people are going to be looking at Alaska. If you're already there, you're ahead of the game. You can stake out your area and be ready to defend it if necessary. If I get the job there then on a day that I'm bored I'm making a bug out plan.

If you can figure out a way to survive the winter out in the bush, then you are gonna have caches to "raid" in the summer after all the inexperienced "bugging outers" have either retreated or died off. Not that you'd need it with all the game out there, but you may find useful things.
"The Brotherhood of Man under the Fatherhood of God"

ZapThyCat

• SKS Sniper
  • Gotta love the Yugo...
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 07:47:36 PM »
If the S has HTF, then you don't have to worry about people making it all the way to Alaska... SHTF means that resources are limited and what you have at the beginning is going to be mostly what you have to work with...
~Jarrod~

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world:  if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight...."
                                       -John 18:36

OldGunGuy

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 08:51:45 PM »
Before I bugout I would really consider if bugging out is really worth it. At least for my catastrophe scenario. After all I would want to stay with most of my supplies and guard my possesions my shop and other stuff. Keep a very low profile. If its a nuke all electronics will be destroyed by emf so no digital electronic fuel injection cars.  Unless you have a grounded Faraday cage(can make one out of a metal shed) I'm afraid anything with a semi conductor is toast. Fuel will be available for the first few hours and that will be it, so a cross country road trip is just out of the question unless you have enough fuel and ammo and want to shoot your way across country.