Author Topic: New SKS  (Read 1000 times)

drw2514

• SKS Newbie
New SKS
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
I'm brand new here and still learning about the SKS.

I picked up a Chinese SKS at the gun shop today, serial number 1605XXX.  It has the three Chinese characters on the left side of the receiver, along with the numbers 1-5-6 in a triangle.  It is also stamped with the letter 'P'.  On the right side of the receiver, it's stampted "SKS 7.62X39 MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO KSI POMONA CA."  The serial numbers match everywhere I could find one (stock, receiver, magazine housing, trigger group, bolt).  There is a star engraved on the right side of the buttstock, and also the letter 'B' on the grip.  I couldn't figure out what type of SKS it is (PLA, Non-PLA, etc.)  Not that it matters much, I'm just curious.

The bayonet lug has been ground down, I assume to make it legal for importation.  Obviously, it doesn't have a bayonet  ;)  It has a stamped trigger group.  It didn't come with any accessories (no cleaning kit, sling, etc.) but it does have a muzzle break installed from a previous owner.   8)

It was completely free of cosmoline; the gun shop cleaned it up pretty well before selling.  The bore is extremely bright (with the chrome and all...) and the rifling is sharp.  The stock is in decent condition with the exception of a few minor nicks and dings. 

I was wondering about the rail mounted on the left of the reveiver all the way to the rear.  I would imagine it is for a scope mount, but even after reading the scope sticky I couldn't figure out how I would go about putting a scope on here.  Will any of the mounts listed just fit the rail that is already there?

Thanks a lot, I've enjoyed reading the board so far.  Oh, it cost me $129.  Pretty good deal?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 02:58:27 PM by drw2514 »

red_necmobmonsterk_hunter

• SKS Shooter
Re: New SKS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »
I know you can get a really sweeeeeet scope with that kinda mount!!! Don't know what kind though...some one here does. How much did you get it for?

drw2514

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:48:33 PM »
Oh, it cost me $129.  Pretty good deal?

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:15:11 PM »
nice, great price.

now for the bad news,
an original scope and mount may cost more then the rifle. not to mention harder to find.
easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

anyone that will give up liberty for security deserves neither....Ben Frankl

sniper47

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:11:02 PM »
Oh, it cost me $129.  Pretty good deal?
I would love to find a pawn shop in Tucson that has a deal like the one you found. It seems that guys all over the country find these deals except me. Waaaaaah. :o
"Do yah feel lucky, punk? Well....do yah?"
                        Inspector 71

drw2514

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:53:56 AM »
I'll probalby just put a peep sight on it an be happy.  Although having the rail and not using it will probably bug me.

Tony C.

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 11:00:56 AM »
make a mount for it.  it ain't rocket surgery.

sniper47

• SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:20:32 PM »
make a mount for it.  it ain't rocket surgery.
:laughing4: or brain science!
"Do yah feel lucky, punk? Well....do yah?"
                        Inspector 71

drw2514

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:38:56 PM »
Yeah...so I wanted to put a peep sight on it, but I haven't been able to yet 'cause the forsaken rear sight will not come off.  It has a pin through the trunions that I cannot get out!  I've tried everything!

Also, I was intrigued by the williams front fire sight and I wanted to put one of those on as well, but the large pin holding the front sight in will not come out either!  Frustrating!