Author Topic: Help with understanding SKS legality in CT  (Read 2123 times)

fiidgett

• SKS Shooter
Help with understanding SKS legality in CT
« on: January 31, 2007, 02:29:31 PM »
alright im having a little trouble iwth the assault weapon law in CT.  I posted the law below.  So i know that if I leave the stock 10 shot attached mag I can basically do whatever I want because it isnt an assault weapon.  I on the other hand just purchased a DC engineering 37 shot detachable mag without duckbill for my SKS and an ATI folding stock (well its currently non folding but you can buy the folding kit for like 10 bucks.  I bought mine with a monte carlo stock and no bayo its a chinese SKS and my first SKS.  I have a mossberg 500 and a 91/30 mosin nagant at the moment.  All i really want is the folding stock and the detachable mag other than that I dont need anything else.  I dont care about having the bayo but that bayo lug counts towards legal items.  now i understand most of what the law says but I cant figure out if 2 things from the list is legal and 3 is illegal or 1 is legal 2 is illegal.  heres the CT law right from the CT website

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher

I have a feeling ill be on this board a lot i had been looking for a week or two for a specific SKS board to no avail.  I am picking my gun up on saturday as CT has a 2 week waiting period and i havent finalized my pistol carry permit yet (once you have it you can buy and take it home with you on the spot_

fiidgett

• SKS Shooter
Re: Help with understanding SKS legality in CT
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:38 PM »
sorry just realized theres a legality section sorry about that.  I have already used the search didnt find anything specific to the CT law.  if a moderator wants to move it to the legal section that would be great. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 03:17:09 PM by fiidgett »

reoiv

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
Ok the way to read that is you can have a detachable mag and ONE of the items below.

Once you have 3 items it is an Assault weapon.

So you can have a pistol grip but you cannot have a folding stock.

You can have a folding stock but no pistol grip.

Basically if your SKS has a bayonet mount you're done once you put in the detachable mag.

Not to mention if you use a detachable mag you still have to play by the 922r rules which means you have to get a new stock, gas piston & operating rod to get your part count to 10.

As of right now there is no way to legally use the folding stock with the fixed magazine without violating 922r as it puts your part count above 10.

So living in CT your options are leave the SKS the way it is

Or put it in a monte carlo stock, replace the piston and operating rod and use a detachable magazine.

Or saw off the bayonet lug and put on a pistol grip and a fixed stock and replace piston and operating rod.

The folding stock is pretty much a no go if it has a pistol grip at all in CT and keeping the fixed mag to use a folding stock won't work because of 922r.

It really sucks that there isn't a decent american made fixed mag at this point.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 11:24:04 AM by reoiv »

DRman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:35:06 PM »
PM me with your phone number if you want. I live in CT and I'm a lawyer. Probably can aswer your questions. Between CT's AWB and the Fed 922 requirements you need to be careful.
GOD BLESS AMERICA
45th ID, Rock of Anzio

nicoll

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 09:15:54 PM »
While on the CT ban topic can some one show me some legal AR-15 uppers.

I'm having trouble comprehending this whole d*** thing.
Magical Trever, he is ever so clever.

Not responsible for spelling and gramatical errors. The keyboard did it.

distra

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 06:19:51 AM »
I talked with several gun shop owners across the state as well as tried to get a hold of the state concerning this issue.  Basically the advice I got from the gun shops was to ditch the removable magazine.  Leave the 10rd fixed mag in place and you don't have to worry about the CT AWB.  That beging said, I opted for a Dragunov stock to avoid any "pistol grip" and "telescoping" stock issues.  Technically with the 10rd fixed mag, you can put on any stock you want, but I wanted to play it safe.

reoiv

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
I talked with several gun shop owners across the state as well as tried to get a hold of the state concerning this issue.  Basically the advice I got from the gun shops was to ditch the removable magazine.  Leave the 10rd fixed mag in place and you don't have to worry about the CT AWB.  That beging said, I opted for a Dragunov stock to avoid any "pistol grip" and "telescoping" stock issues.  Technically with the 10rd fixed mag, you can put on any stock you want, but I wanted to play it safe.

Unless the mag is US made that gun would now be in violation of 922r and still illegal but on the federal level instead of state level.

fiidgett

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
I just put in my US parts for my 922r compliance so im good to go on that.  the pistol grip non folding stock from ATI is in the mail.  I didnt take off the bayo lug yet my gun shop owner told me he didnt consiter that to be an issue but from what the law reads it seems to be.  also seems unless you shoot somebody who is going to be counting?  I may take it off we'll see