I've been asked to repost this from the old forum. ___________________________________________________________
Above is my home built flat bending jig.
Note that a flat has just been bent and a new flat installed and ready to be placed into the jig or shoe to be bent.
Above is the jig that will sandwhich the flat in between.
Note the cut out areas where portions of the flat would protrude into.
Above: This is the jig I use to produce the upper left and right rails.
When one side is done I'll flip the jig and then do the other.
To fold over the rail after it has been marked the set-up will be
placed in a large vise. From this point all I use is a piece of oak and a ballpein hammer.
No rocket science here.
Above I removed the old piston and replaced it with one I made on the lathe from 304 stainless steel.
Also note that the trigger guard/mag catch has been prepaired for the install.
After I removed the rivets in the trunions and tapped the holes for the screw build I installed the front and then the rear trunion
using 10-32 button heads.
A bit of material was removed with a Dremel tool for a flush fit against the trunions and into their channel.
Above the forward part of the trigger guard/mag catch is installed using 4 #8-32 button heads.
The heads have been turned down a tad to fit.
A 1/8 inch plate was used on the inside which was tapped to accept these
4 #8-32 screws. The plate can be seen in the following pic(s)
Above and below the cross member is installed and rails welded in place.
Above I removed material on the upper rails to allow the bolt/carrier to slide with ease.
Above: Now that the receiver is in a non-flex state the mag well area and catch plus the top cover can be tweaked for proper fit.
Top rail as well as the X and Y holes have ben heat treated. The receiver was then drawn back in a similar method that OOW uses.
Above the receiver is sandblasted and ready for the
black oxide treatment
Above after black oxide
Above the keeper pin I made from music wire
Above RSA trigger group installed as well as the rear stock
Note the gap between the stock and receiver.
I plan to fix this in the future by inserting wood dowels into the
original stock holes. Then push the stock forward to meet the receiver
and drill new holes.
Above mods are done to the original selector lever to make ready for the install
Above the final product
Below the end result at the range @ 50 yards
Above are my other screw builds.
Top is a Bulgarian 5.45X39
Left is a Bulgarian underfolder in 5.45X39
Right is a AMD-65 in 7.62X39