Author Topic: Is My SKS Pre-Ban or not ?  (Read 5519 times)

wvdeerhntr

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Is My SKS Pre-Ban or not ?
« on: September 25, 2005, 08:15:42 PM »
i want to add a bayo check it for me Thank You........

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/10758AAAA0019.JPG

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:21:59 PM »
It's a Chinese, therefore not C&R.  Legally you cannot add a bayonet, but it's not illegal to own it if a bayonet was on it when you bought it.

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

wvdeerhntr

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 08:27:05 PM »
i didnt have one  :?  so gues i cant put one on or cant but detachable mags

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Re: Is My SKS Pre-Ban or not ?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 09:09:34 PM »
Quote from: wvdeerhntr
i want to add a bayo check it for me Thank You.

When you hear the term "Pre ban" from a guy trying to sell you an SKS, take it with a grain of salt.
Originally, SKS's were imported "as is" with the bayonet attached. Later, there was a move to end "military style" rifles from coming in to the country. Importers, for a while got around this by removing the bayos. Some even removed the bayos on existing stocks that they already had.
After a while, SKS's could not be imported at all. This was because of "human rights" issues that our government decided could be dealt with by not buying Chinese arms and munitions.

The only true "pre ban" SKS's were the "D" and "M" models that came in with the detachable AK style magazines.

Like galahad said: If yours does not have the bayo, then it cannot be "legally" added because of laws like 922(r). This prohibits modifying an imported rifle to be the same as one that is prohibited from being imported.

So even if yours was imported before the ban, you would have had to modify it before the ban to be legal.

Billy

fastvfr

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 04:39:51 AM »
Question:

If the mount is there, and he did add a bayonet, how could anyone prove that the importer did NOT remove the thing?!

As it is nearly impossible to prove something didn't happen, it would seem that, unless the Fedz use a crystal ball or something, they could not PROVE that any particular carbine did not have a bayo on it from the minute it was imported to the present time.

Right?

Or am I missing something?

LESchwartz

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Software Geek in Sunny Minnesota
    • SKS FAQ
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:15:13 PM »
Quote from: galahad
It's a Chinese, therefore not C&R.  Legally you cannot add a bayonet, but it's not illegal to own it if a bayonet was on it when you bought it.

It's true that the bayonet cannot be added w/o playing the 10-or-less-game.  However, the law prohibits the act of adding the bayonet.  If a previous owner added it, then technically there is no legal liability for the current owner.  (Though .GOV could seize a rifle if they had clear evidence that it had an illegal bayonet added.)

Larry
For more info, see my SKS FAQ:  http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

expeditionx

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 07:34:31 PM »
This brings up a good point that is often misunderstood.
Like BillyBang said, a preban (as in pre 1989 ban) can remain in the condition that it was in before the law went into effect but since then adding unimportable features voids the grandfathered protection.
I have read many inaccurate posts on different gun boards and heard many people at gun shops try to say that if its preban you can do anything you want to it. The truth is "You can't add bayonettes, detachable mags, pistol grips, flash hiders, or folding/collapsing
stocks to an sks.
The exception to the above rule is based on replacing enough specific parts so that the sks is no longer subject to the importation law.

Even if an sks is preban the above rule applies.
However, by registering an sks as a NFA weapon such as a short barrel rifle 922 may no longer apply. That would still be a hassel to do the paperwork and some states will not allow NFA weapons anyway.
Its much easier to simply swap out enough listed parts.

SKS-M are not preban 1989.  They are the importation answer to the unimportable SKS-D which has a bayonette.

marcodelat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 12:43:08 AM »
The truth is "You can't add bayonettes, detachable mags, pistol grips, flash hiders, or folding/collapsing
stocks to an sks.
The exception to the above rule is based on replacing enough specific parts so that the sks is no longer subject to the importation law.

Huh? so, if you replace "enough specific parts" so that a Chinese SKS is "no longer subject to the importation rules", you can attach a bayonet legaly?

Or, does the NO bayo on Chinese SKSs "rule" remain on what is now a non-imported firearm?

a bit confusing to say the least...
thanx

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 09:22:01 AM »
The truth is "You can't add bayonettes, detachable mags, pistol grips, flash hiders, or folding/collapsing
stocks to an sks.

Huh? so, if you replace "enough specific parts" so that a Chinese SKS is "no longer subject to the importation rules", you can attach a bayonet legaly?

Or, does the NO bayo on Chinese SKSs "rule" remain on what is now a non-imported firearm?

a bit confusing to say the least...
thanx

Not confusing at all.

If you replace enough of the right parts on an SKS, it is no longer considered an imported rifle.
That's called the 10 or less game.

With the federal AWB sunsetting in 2004, you can have hi caps, bayo or whatever on you rifle.
It just can't be considered an imported rifle.

BB
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:23:37 AM by BillyBang »

marcodelat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »

Not confusing at all.

If you replace enough of the right parts on an SKS, it is no longer considered an imported rifle.
That's called the 10 or less game.

With the federal AWB sunsetting in 2004, you can have hi caps, bayo or whatever on you rifle.
It just can't be considered an imported rifle.

BB

OK... I see, so if I've won the "10 or less" the rifle, no matter if Chinese, Russian, Yugo, etc. - becomes for all legal purposes, a non-import thus can now be modified with/into (except, of course auto fire) whatever a person wants... including bayo, bipods, US made magazines... Great1 I was under the impression that a with a Chinese rifle imported after the "human rights" deal, even with replacement of indicated compliance parts, could NOT have a bayonet attached if it did not come with one to begin with. Thank you.

Full Clip

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
The pathetic thing is that an honest Chinese SKS owner cannot bring his all-matching, original rifle to complete "mil-spec" condition by simply adding a bayonet. Instead, he/she must create a bubba'ed mess (by also adding US-made stock, mag, etc.) to stay legal.
"There are no dangerous weapons, there are only dangerous men..." Robert Heinlein

marcodelat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 03:20:58 PM »
The pathetic thing is that an honest Chinese SKS owner cannot bring his all-matching, original rifle to complete "mil-spec" condition by simply adding a bayonet. Instead, he/she must create a bubba'ed mess (by also adding US-made stock, mag, etc.) to stay legal.
Yeah... sure does seem a paradox - can only mount a bayonet IF you also have a "tacticool" stock and a detachable mag... :shock:

What I really would like to do is bring my rifle back to mil-spec to "fit in" collection... for this it seems there's really no choice but to buy a Chicom with the bayonet already attached.

This is what was for me - still is if you consider logic - hard to understand 'till now... would guess it has something to do with $$$?

'

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 03:33:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't think they always think everything through when they pass these laws.
However, like Larry said, Putting the bayonet on is the no-no, actually having it "on" is not
the problem.
A lot of Chicoms came into the country with them "on", until a certain date when the atf sent
letters to the importers and gun dealers, asking them to take the bayos off the rifles that were already imported.
So there's a grey area to which ones had them on when imported and were actually taken off, and those that had them on and were not taken off.
You can read whatever you want into that.

BB

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »
Not only is it not logical, it's nonsensical.  As far as I know there has never been a murder with a bayonet.  I admit that I've not done any research but a bayoneting is something that I think I'd remember, and sensational enough for the press to put it up nationwide. 

So we have a ban on importing Chinese firearms and ammo because of "human rights" violations and at the SAME TIME we are giving China the "most favored nation" status.  Yup, the only way that can be logical is by employing "government logic", which, in it's own way, is similar to what used to be called "feminine logic."  (That was generally brought up when women would buy something, generally shoes, and say that "It was on sale, I couldn't afford NOT to buy them.")  Of course today feminine logic is applied without reservation to those of us who just HAVE to buy that rifle because it was soooooooo cheap, and heck, I'd be able to sell it for TWICE what I paid for it. 

But I digress. 

If you are looking for logic in ANY firearms legislation you are engaging in an exercize in futility.  The FACT is that the Feinsteins and Schumers of the world are more concerned with making you FEEL safe because whenyou FEEL safe you will vote for them, again, and again, and again.   And since the ACTUAL victims of crime are dead, and their families are distraught, the victim can't vote and the families are convinced that more and more restrictive laws are required because, clearly, the ones we have aren't working.

See?  That's how it works......

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »
A lot of Chicoms came into the country with them "on", until a certain date when the atf sent
letters to the importers and gun dealers, asking them to take the bayos off the rifles that were already imported.
That seems to be the story, but I have yet to actually SEE this letter from the ATF.