Author Topic: paracord holster ?  (Read 3631 times)

pooterhead

• SKS Plinker
  • I'f your reading this find another hobby.
paracord holster ?
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:03:10 AM »
What the heck is a paracord holster?

Does anyone have any good links on how to make things with 550 cord that could be used to attach things to a bob?
Pooterhead

pooterhead

• SKS Plinker
Re: paracord holster ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:44:23 PM »
So does this mean no one knows what a paracord holster is?
Pooterhead

moulton

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • I see hidden people
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:56:19 PM »
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_159_26/ai_90099703
Stringing along a two-cent holster - Handgun Leather
American Handgunner,  Sept-Oct, 2002  by Cameron Hopkins

Making a Mexican Loop is easier than your 10-year-old's art project. We're going to build the super deluxe version, using Mil-Spec 550 parachute cord instead of that frequently encountered, less costly alternative, an old shoelace.

You need three things: scissors, a lighter and a length of para cord. I prefer olive drab, but black has its adherents too. Some fashion-conscious dandies are actually going for tan cord, what with desert camo being all the rage. Let style and a lack of good taste be your guide on color selection.

Carefully un-spool 14.379" of cord, as measured with a sliding dial caliper. Just kidding, anything around 12" to 14" is sufficient. You don't even need a tape measure. Eyeball it and snip it with your scissors.
Related Results

* Market Directory - Directory

Most Popular Articles
in Sports

* 3 Ways to Stop Coming...
    * Mossberg's 410 home...
    * Smith & Wesson's...
    * Today's Game Is Built...

Melt the frayed ends of the cord with your lighter. Now, fold the string in half to make a loop, then tie a knot. Congratulations, you've just made a Mexican Loop holster.

To use your new holster, loop it around your belt, bring one end over and slip the other through the loop. Tug gently to snug the cord around your belt. Select any suitable handgun for concealed carry -- Desert Eagles and T/C Contenders are probably not on the list -- and insert the barrel through the loop. Shove the gun into your waistband until the cord stops it. You're finished.

The loop prevents your pistol from sliding down your pants leg and clattering onto the floor, something the Emily Post types consider bad manners, especially in public places like a 7-11.
Advertisement

A universal, one-size-fits-all holster that weighs mere grams and costs two cents. Top that, holsterdom.

pex

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 04:40:11 AM »
Pictures would be so damned sensible.

pooterhead

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:23:36 AM »
Pictures would be so damned sensible.
+1  =D>
Pooterhead

pex

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »
I say this because someone posted a blog about a guy who makes 'all kinds' of paracord junk including this fabled holster, only when I went to find it, it could not be found, and no direct link was ever offered.  There's also a bit of trouble finding it on Yahoo! or Google, whichever I used, if not both.

Come on, how many of you have ever seen or heard of a shoestring or paracord holster?  Only thing I know about shoestrings/paracord in regards to firearms is what the ATF has said about it...

CooperGlocker

• SKS Shooter
  • Normal people scare me!
    • Bunkerseeds.com - Coop's Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 11:13:02 AM »
What the hell do you need a photo for?

Take a foot of paracord.  Burn the ends to the inner strands don't get pulled out.
Tie it in a knot, making a big ring.
Tuck half of it in your belt, so now you've got 2 loops, one coming out of the top of your belt, and one coming out the bottom.
Jam the top loop through the bottom loop, and pull tight (so the whole thing grabs your belt, and you have a ring that dangles from your belt.)
Stick the barrel of your handgun through that loop.

Done.

TheDoc

• SKS Sniper
  • DCLXVI- الكافر
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 01:45:44 AM »
I make all kinds of stuff out of paracord....I have never made one of these but its got to be one of the easyest things to make...just read the instructions......
-some guys spend their disposable income on booze and hollister. i spend mine on molle and mountain house

-Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves.

etdbob

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 06:30:44 PM »
I don't think i'd use this "holster" any time soon. Sure it'll keep the hogleg from sliding down your leg, but it sounds like it would snag on the barrel when you need to draw in a hurry.
"F*ck nationalism of any kind. It's a bandwagon for morons." - Chris

For Liberty and Responsibility

Alabama

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Shoot, coward. You are only going to kill a man.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 07:30:33 PM »
I say this because someone posted a blog about a guy who makes 'all kinds' of paracord junk including this fabled holster, only when I went to find it, it could not be found, and no direct link was ever offered.  There's also a bit of trouble finding it on Yahoo! or Google, whichever I used, if not both.

Come on, how many of you have ever seen or heard of a shoestring or paracord holster?  Only thing I know about shoestrings/paracord in regards to firearms is what the ATF has said about it...

And that was me:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=28145.0

Sorry if I misled you, pex. The paracord holster isn't on either of the provided links, though it is an intriguing concept, init. That's why I asked the person who mentioned it to 'Break off the knowlege.'

Now that moulton's obliged us we're all a little richer with knowlege. That's what an edumacation can do for you.  8) Congrats to the recent grad and thanks for the info.

etdbob, from what I can tell you're right on the money, but if I found myself in an admittedly unlikely fix for a holster I guess a quick and dirty paracord holster might come in handy. Not something you'd want for everyday carry and only nominally better than straight Mexican carry, maybe not even that much. Maybe something to try tonight when I get back to the house...
GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Alabama , now known as : " Terror in the tree stand "
--Longspring

Yes you are weird.
You are a board supporter on an extremist hobby forum 
--oblivionboyj

pex

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
I thought some guy just weaved together a dandy full-fledged holster out of paracord.  I wanted to see it.   :cry: