Author Topic: Mounting a scope on a Mosin-Nagant?  (Read 1627 times)

Freak090

• SKS Marksman
  • 91-30
Mounting a scope on a Mosin-Nagant?
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:36:28 PM »
How would someone go about doing this?
what parts are needed?
how do you mount the scope rings to the rifle?
etc...

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
 - General George S. Patton

marcodelat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Mounting a scope on a Mosin-Nagant?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:02:55 AM »
Well... to begin with, there is (what I would consider) "a proper" way and the "other ways".
Depends I guess on what you are looking to do... make a reproduction type rifle... or what?

Also, I assume that if you are looking to make a "reproduction", that you are talking about a 91/30.
look around on the web and find some pics of Mosin sniper rifles, notice the scopes... notice the mount?

"To create the sniper version of these rifles, high quality examples of the 1891/30 were pulled off of the production line. They specifically looked for high quality barrels. They took these hand picked rifles and then turned the bolts down for operation while using a scope. They mounted a scope; both the PV (4x) and PU (3.5x) versions were used. The PU was preferred and used on most of the sniper versions. There was no bayonet issued and the foresight was raised 1mm, which allowed the open sites to be used out to 600 meters. The trigger was also lightened to 4.4-5.3 lbs (2-2.4 kg)."

Google Mosin Sniper... and read. You could start here: http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/sniper.htm

Freak090

• SKS Marksman
  • 91-30
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:09:26 AM »
Well... to begin with, there is (what I would consider) "a proper" way and the "other ways".
Depends I guess on what you are looking to do... make a reproduction type rifle... or what?
no, i simply wish to mount a modern day scope on an old school rifle.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

marcodelat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »
no, i simply wish to mount a modern day scope on an old school rifle.
Oh... in that case go here: http://p102.ezboard.com/ParallaxBills-Curio--Relic-and-Military-Surplus-Firearms-Forums/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums
These folk will be most helpful - just ask 'em about what you want to do. :)
Go to the Mosin Nagant Forum...

vomSpeerhaus

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Geek, trapped in a redneck's body...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
http://www.surplusrifle.com/downloads.asp
I used their article "Lil' Black Beauty" to sporter my M38. If I ever do a M/N scope project again, I'll use a PU mount replica. You can find these with Weaver rails, alowing one to use a modern scope. Bolt would still have to be modified or replaced. They have several articles on mounting scpoes on the M/N. I, and others, often refer peeps to their site.
Weapons: Dire Wolf and a bunch of other stuff.

handyrandyrc

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 11:05:35 AM »
I removed the rear sight mount.  Whacked out the two cross-pins, and slid it off the dovetail on the barrel.

And this is what it will do at 200 yards...  :)

Freak090

• SKS Marksman
  • 91-30
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »
I removed the rear sight mount.  Whacked out the two cross-pins, and slid it off the dovetail on the barrel.
I have seen that method, and it seems that it would be very cost effective. But, what about the eye relief of the scope?
Do you have instructions for removing the sights? (a link would be best)

How does the recoil compare to that of a MN with with wooden furniture?

GTwannabe

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 06:54:03 PM »
I have seen that method, and it seems that it would be very cost effective. But, what about the eye relief of the scope?
Do you have instructions for removing the sights? (a link would be best)

How does the recoil compare to that of a MN with with wooden furniture?

You don't need to remove the sight base... just get one of Darrel's scout mounts that installs in place of the rear sight leaf:

http://p102.ezboard.com/Darrells-Scout-Mount-Forum/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm85

To get the correct eye relief, you need a Long Eye Relief or Pistol Scope.  I have a 4x32 NcStar on mine and it works great.

benny429

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • http://www.MilSurpStuff.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »
The way Randy's is set up would only work on my M91/30.  The rear sight base is different on my M44 and M38.

PM me for the SKSBoards discount code.  Members 5% Supporters 10%

Freak090

• SKS Marksman
  • 91-30
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »
The way Randy's is set up would only work on my M91/30.  The rear sight base is different on my M44 and M38.

That's perfectly fine, for mine is a 91-30
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:38:00 PM by Freak090 »