Author Topic: CZ52 9mm conversion kits?  (Read 3032 times)

destrux

• SKS Marksman
CZ52 9mm conversion kits?
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
Anyone know of anyone making a 9mm conversion kit for the CZ52's yet? I know there was a company that did make them, then they stopped, and the kits are impossible to find.... but any new companies that anyone's heard of?
"Can you imagine a world without violence? Firearms are not for killing people, they're a deterrent." -Alexei Dragunov

LESchwartz

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Software Geek in Sunny Minnesota
    • SKS FAQ
Re: CZ52 9mm conversion kits?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
All you need is the barrel.  Mags, etc are the same.  FAC used to carry them, but FAC is no more.  Makarov.com has them, but they are currently sold out (see: http://www.makarov.com/cart/52barrels.htm)

Larry
For more info, see my SKS FAQ:  http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

gunnmen

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »
You just missed a couple hundred imported that AIM had.... i bought 2..........

gunnmen01

Hunter78

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 01:25:43 AM »
sportsmansguide has them in there catalog if they're not sold out.  I picked one up from aim just incase theory.
...when the blast of war blows in our ears Then imitate the action of the tiger Summon up the blood Disguise fair nature with rage And lend the eye a terrible aspect

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
Don't those sometimes cause reliability problems on account of the shorter length of the 9mm rounds?
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

jkeen579

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 08:32:52 PM »
I bought new barell, new rollers, new retaining pin, but I cannot find the roller cam that the rollers lock in to.  Does anyone know where I can find one.  I have worn out the internet trying to find one.
Get oudoors and enjoy the things the good Lord gave us.

blender

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 04:32:47 PM »
I bought new barell, new rollers, new retaining pin, but I cannot find the roller cam that the rollers lock in to.  Does anyone know where I can find one.  I have worn out the internet trying to find one.

I bought one off Gunbroker about 4 weeks ago (keep checking, they do turn up). My experience is these are *very* difficult to find. I was almost ready to buy a complete barrel setup just to get that roller cam.

blender

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
Don't those sometimes cause reliability problems on account of the shorter length of the 9mm rounds?

I finally got around to taking my CZ52 9mm conversion to the range. Unfortunately this just isn't working out. It was a consistent FTF, *none* of the 9mm rounds would feed in. The slide just wouldn't  return to battery and lock. After firing the round would eject ok, just not load the next round.

Looks like I'll return the CZ52 back to the 7.62 format...

Steve

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »
Wouldn't it make more sense to use a longer 9mm round, such as a 9x23?

I haven't actually seen a conversion in person, but I'd think the problem probably has much to do with the shorter round.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

jkeen579

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:02:50 PM »
I finally found the roller can for the 9mm barrel.  I got it at makarov.com for 18.95 shipped. Now I can go from shooting the 7.62x25 to the 9mm by just swapping the complete barrel.  Makes it a lot of fun.

blender

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 09:40:31 PM »
Wouldn't it make more sense to use a longer 9mm round, such as a 9x23?
I haven't actually seen a conversion in person, but I'd think the problem probably has much to do with the shorter round.

Hmmm, well *that* never occurred to me. Actually, I haven't seen much (any?) 9x23mm ammo for sale in my neck of the woods. I'll look around and if I can pick up a box I'll give it a try.

Steve in WI

thespork

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 11:04:40 AM »
I'll look around and if I can pick up a box I'll give it a try.

Please talk to someone knowledgeble before trying that!

9x23mm is a completely different animal the 9X19. A cz52 with a 9mm conversion might be able to handle it, or it may simply just not even feed, or worst case scenario you might push something beyond a tolerence point at which point you have made yourself a hand-held pipe bomb...

jkeen579

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
I believe I will just stick with what is supposed to be shot through it.  This is by no means a heavy target barrel nor is it made for anything but 9mm.  Better safe than sorry.  Besides, with the difference in the cost of ammo, 9mm and 7.62x25 are some of the cheapest you can shoot.

blender

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 10:09:13 PM »
I believe I will just stick with what is supposed to be shot through it.  This is by no means a heavy target barrel nor is it made for anything but 9mm.  Better safe than sorry.  Besides, with the difference in the cost of ammo, 9mm and 7.62x25 are some of the cheapest you can shoot.

After some (very little, actually) consideration I'm going back to the original 7.62x25 configuration. The 9x19 conversion barrel just didn't work for me. If I want to shoot 9mm I have several pistols made for 9mm. I'll accept the CZ52 for what it is.

Of course, if anyone else has had a different experience with such a conversion I'd like to hear either positive/negative results.

Steve in WI

sks noob

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • sofa king we todd ed
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 11:25:12 PM »

After some (very little, actually) consideration I'm going back to the original 7.62x25 configuration. The 9x19 conversion barrel just didn't work for me. If I want to shoot 9mm I have several pistols made for 9mm. I'll accept the CZ52 for what it is.

Of course, if anyone else has had a different experience with such a conversion I'd like to hear either positive/negative results.

Steve in WI

AIM actually still has barrels. You just have to dig on their site to find them. There about 60 bucks but I too feel the same way you If I want a 9mm then I'll buy a 9mm.  One of the reasons I got the cz-52 was because of the cheap 7.62 Tok ammo.