Author Topic: Replacement front sight for cut-down SKS  (Read 6328 times)

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
Replacement front sight for cut-down SKS
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »
Ok, I recently cut my Bubtical Yugo down to a legally sound 16.5" barrel length, which also removed the front sight block.

I've been considering fitting a static iron sight to the rifle for those battery-death/broken scope/can't sight the SOB moments, but I really don't want to have to turn the barrel down (no lathe) or try and open the aperture in the front sight block....

I've measured my stubby barrel and my Mosin 91/30 barrel and they seem to be almost the same diameter, so I'm gonna try and fit one of these : http://milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOI0400

Has anyone tried this before (search was inconclusive) and if so, did it work?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: Replacement front sight for cut-down SKS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:33:46 PM »
just get one of these for $15.00 ground off the bayo lug, open the site hood up w/ dremel, reblue it and your all set. This way you don't have to feel bad about butchering your existing sight assembly.

----->http://www.impactglobalarms.com/Sales/Sales_Detail.php?g=sales1174257735&swg=true

It would look like this minus the yugo rings.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:42:48 PM by Wilson »
Quote from: Thed
My suggestion would be to give him his own user group and title. Call it "Special" or "Shortbus".... maybe "Gimpy 'tard".

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:42:36 PM »
Is that going to fit over the rear part of the barrel without me turning it down to the same diameter as the part I cut off?

I haven't seen under my Chinese's FSB, so I'm not sure if it's tapered like the Yugo.  I looked into making the Yugo block fit, but the metal would be paper thin when I was done.... assuming I didn't just break it trying.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:45:45 PM by NCLivingBrit »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
how far is it cut back to I can try one at my house and tell you if it works (if I have one cutback far enough)

You could always cut the one from impact arms. Cut the sleave and bayonet lug portions at the fsb and ground the bottom flat w/ dremel. Take a cutting wheel on your dremel turn it sideways and cut a slit in the bottom of the fsb and you will be able to widen it enough to slip it over and it ill be snug enough to stay on while you fire it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:51:25 PM by Wilson »
My suggestion would be to give him his own user group and title. Call it "Special" or "Shortbus".... maybe "Gimpy 'tard".

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »
It's cut back to 16.5" barrel length, so only a little ways in front of the gas diverter block.

Be nice if I could use the non-Yugo FSB, as I have a Firesights front I am fond of.

Thanks a lot for checking for me!  You might save me a lot of messing around getting that MN block to fit!

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:53:03 PM »
read my last post again, I added a bit to it.  BRB lemme check. With a dremel tool and a little modifying it will work. I didnt want to scratch my new blue job, you can even take the cone shaped attachment and take off a little from the inside of the fsb after you cut the bayonet lug off of it and the sleeve that attaches it.

LIKE A GLOVE!  :thumbright:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:05:55 PM by Wilson »

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »
Awesome and much obliged!  Looks like I won't be without irons after all!

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I spend more time on this board than all the others (that and loving the SKS in all its forms). 

GlenM

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 11:11:12 PM »
NC -
I used a tapered repairman's reamer from Grizzly Industrial to open up the front sight. See the following link.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=24558.150

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:54:23 AM »
Well I'm hoping I won't need more than a light Dremelling to fit, although I really like the way it looks up against the gas block.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
In any case it does not look like the Mosin Nagant base would work unless you modify it.  An SKS front sight from top of barrel to top of sight post measures about 1 inch + 30 thousandths.  A M44 front sight measures about .655 thousandths from top of barrel to top of sight post.  I think the M44 sight would be very short for your purposes.

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 09:41:31 AM »
I was planning on using the Mosin sight as a mount for my Williams Firesight front bead, which would add height and give me a nice clear dot.  I'd be using a TS200 Techsights rear aperture, which is cranked all the way down with the regular front block and Firesight, so low would be good :)  Just not that low.

As it stands, I'm going to try the suggested non-Yugo fsb first, as it would be easier than basing the Firesight in the ATI Mosin sight in a sturdy, reliable fashion.

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 09:54:18 AM »
Hrm, Impact Global doesn't seem to want to answer their phone and their mailbox is full (it's a cellphone).  Might have to find another supplier for that part....

....which are apparently rarer than rocking horse droppings!  Doh.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:20:25 AM by NCLivingBrit »

westphoenix

• SKS Shooter

NCLivingBrit

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »
Thanks westphoenix, that is perfect (the 995 sight I mean).

-----------------------------------

Wow.  Hi-Point has some of the rudest customer service I have ever encountered in the US.  They've certainly steered me away from their product (I was after a 995 carbine) if that's what's waiting for me every time I need to have something resolved.  I guess I'll order the sight online, which will be the last time they see a dime from me.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:35:59 PM by NCLivingBrit »

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »
Thanks westphoenix, that is perfect (the 995 sight I mean).

-----------------------------------

Wow.  Hi-Point has some of the rudest customer service I have ever encountered in the US.  They've certainly steered me away from their product (I was after a 995 carbine) if that's what's waiting for me every time I need to have something resolved.  I guess I'll order the sight online, which will be the last time they see a dime from me.

ROFL