Author Topic: Sterling L2a3 MkVI Semi auto carbine kit build?  (Read 3446 times)

Thed

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The Lorax
    • http://www.ironsightaction.com
Sterling L2a3 MkVI Semi auto carbine kit build?
« on: October 10, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »
Below is a photo I found on the web. It is not mine:

The Sterling series of submachinegun was used by Great Britain after it retired the STEN gun. It is a side magazine fed firearm which accepts 34 round curved magazines.

Its mostly known as being the base prop of a Stormtrooper's rifle from the Star Wars series. George Lucas had a thing for cutting up and welding stuff to WWII firearms for props.

Parts kits for these old SMG's can still be found. Although they are not cheap. Often starting around $400. Magazines are still available around $20ea. There are some resources out there to help building a semi-auto.

Basically the parts kit is converted to fire semi-automatic only from a closed bolt. The receiver and bolt used much be modified in such a way that full auto components cannot be used. a 16+" barrel is also requires. A common substitute being an UZI carbine barrel.

The build itself is a "tube gun". What makes this built attractive is that it was made under the Imperial measurement system. So replacement tubing from 4130 would not be too hard to get. I was thinking that instead of ending the shroud like shown in the picture above, using a longer tube and extending it to the end of the carbine. This would also increase the sight radius, and a sight expense in weight.

This is also a TIG welding dependent build.

I am guessing the price tag on this puppy won't be cheap. I am guestimating that it would end up costing around $1k to make. Perhaps it would be possible to shave a hundred bucks or so if they were manufactured in a larger production lot.

There is a used one on Gunbroker (with no picture) listed with a start bid of $1600. No reserve.

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
Re: Sterling L2a3 MkVI Semi auto carbine kit build?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
Basically the parts kit is converted to fire semi-automatic only from a closed bolt.
Lathe-dependent?

Thed

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The Lorax
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
Nope.

I factored in the replacement parts cost already, job shopping this out.

http://www.geocities.com/psarms/LinkedFiles/SAMk6CBSKit.jpg

The build would be pricey, but the heavy machining would be done.

Because the Mk6 was an imported semi-auto firearm the design is already BATF ok. Unlike a semi-Suomi.

burns_ze

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Ellos me llaman el chico blanco loco
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:57:04 PM »
Man. That is a awesome looking weapon!
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold"- Bob Marley

Thed

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The Lorax
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 07:18:53 PM »
Man. That is a awesome looking weapon!

I agree. Funny thing about the Sterling or other side fed SMG variants. Most people either really like them, or dislike them. Not often you get middle ground.

Well, I have been able to get two other people to commit on the idea. This will offset the tooling and R&D costs to do it. Fortunately I have worked with them on projects similar to this in the past, so they know what is involved.

We are thinking about designing a receiver from the ground up. Instead of using the Prexis style tubing with bonded template. The issue with these, is that the barrel shroud is the same length as the original SMG. We want the shroud to go all the way to the end of the 16+" carbine barrel. So on this project we are considering contracting time on a MAZAK Space Gear 5 or 6 axis laser cutter with a tube roller: Video

The tube shown in the video is 6" diameter Schedule 40 pipe. The 1.5" 4130 tubing of the receiver would be much easier and faster. Or worst case, we use adhesive for our own design of template.

The advantage being that we could run into less potential trouble fighting an accusation we were making an SBR. If before the tube was made, the trigger pack was rendered semi-auto only before the 26" tube was even cut, we are covered from the start.

The only major hitch in the project besides cost is the semi-only closed bolt mill modifications to the bolt.