Author Topic: 9x18 vs. 9mm Luger  (Read 6766 times)

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
9x18 vs. 9mm Luger
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »
I'm starting to shop for pistols.  In particular I've been eyeballing some of the milsurp C&R's in 9mm Mak (9x18).  What's everyone's opinion of that round vs. the 9mm Luger round?  In particular:

-Availability
-Price
-Milsurp or New Production

My objective for my first pistol is for a recreational shooter.  Worst case scenario it would be a personal protection gun if the need would ever arise, but that's not my primary objective.

It seems like for the most part, I can get into the 9mm Mak pistols themselves for a bit less money up front, although I'll be honest and I haven't done a complete search yet.  It also appears that ammo is roughly the same price in bulk on the internet, but haven't done an exhaustive search on that either.

Thanks!
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.  - Ghandi

Oregon Pastor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Lupus -- This Wolf has a taste for MY blood.
Re: 9x18 vs. 9mm Luger
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
I would go with the 9mm luger over the 9x18.  There is so much good 9mm luger ammo, at really good prices.

I just went to Cabelas, and looked up Sellier and Bellot, which my favorite 9mm luger.  7.99 a box.

It is 13.99 a box for 9mm makarov and the bullet is 20 grains lighter. 

OP
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes . . .

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
Thanks for the info OP.  How's everything going out West?
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.  - Ghandi

Oregon Pastor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »
Way cool.  Things went really well today (Sunday).  I'll PM you about some of it.

I think that for availability and price the 9mm luger is the way to go.  It is available in wolf bulk if you want it that way.  I bought a bunch of S & B through Cabelas.  I do have some Remington HP for self defense.  Mostly I use it for plinking.  But also I want to have it when I am calling in coyotes, because you never know what might show up when you are calling.  I live in Mountain lion country.

One thing that I like about S & B besides price, brass cases, they seal their boxer primers.  None of the rest of the 9mm that I have bought seal their primers.

OP
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes . . .

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:25:44 PM »
I agree.  9mm parabellum is SO much easier to find, and cheaper too.  More powerful, more options in self defense loads, etc.  If it's a choice between 9mm Makarov and 9mm Luger/parabellum, go with the latter.

This isn't to say that 9x18 is a poor choice.  I carried one for years, but now in retrospect I like something a little more powerful (I carry a .45acp).  9mm Makarov is virtually identical to .380acp.  I never had a problem finding Makarov ammo, but it's much easier to find 9x19 than 9x18.

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 10:42:37 PM »
Good info guys, thanks!  So now I just need to start figuring out which pistol to get.  A nice answer would be a Luger...but not exactly a cheap entry pistol!

Oregon Pastor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 11:08:01 PM »
Hi-point C9.  It was my first 9mm and I love it.  It is heavy, but ever time that I pull the trigger it goes bang.  US made, and lifetime warranty.  If it breaks, you send it to them, they upgrade it and send you a new magazine for it.

I got mine for 151.71 out the door, that was with the background check, box of ammo and a cleaning kit.

OP

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 11:22:13 PM »
Hmm...very nice...starting to wet my appetite!  Going bang reliably every time is important to me.  There's a gun show coming up around here the 11/12 of Novemenber...need to get my shopping list ready!

Would like to get a inexpensive pistol (probably in 9mm luger), and would like to find a 10/22 as well.  Even though the sks is fairly "cheap" as far as ammo and upkeep goes, you can never beat the .22 LR in price!

braindonor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 11:23:38 PM »
Ammunition to go has mak ammo for 7.75 a box.

9mm is a better choice, you can get it at the store, more powerful, more choices. For a few bucks more you can get a new pistol in 9mm instead of a surplus in mak. I do like my pa-63, and carry it almost every day, but it wouldn't be my first choice now.

CavemanSteve

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • First they came for the cartoonists.
    • VIP
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »
I've got 2 norinco 213's. I enjoy them, but don't need two. One $160, the other $200 and in very nice condition. Doesn't matter to me which I keep. If you are interested. I'm not really looking to sell, but like I said, I really don't need two.

They shoot 9mm Lugar
"Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."   Winston Churchill

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 11:34:38 PM »
Steve-
  Will do a little research, since I know nothing about the Norinco 213's.  Will PM you if I'm interested.  Thanks for the offer!

Oregon Pastor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 12:20:42 AM »
Hi-point also makes a nice 9mm carbine (995).  So you buy one kind of ammo and get to feed two guns.

OP

Nick_Fury

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Samuel L. Jackson? Are you kidding me???
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 12:33:54 AM »

I'd have to go with the 9mm Parabellum round as well.  It's available everywhere, and cheaper to boot.  If you are looking into a recreational shooter, and aslo like the milsurp category, Aim Surplus has WWII 9mm Star B pistols for a great price.  They look like they are Browning Hi-Power copies.  Follow the link for more info:

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/WWII_Star_B_9mm_Pistol.html

I was debating on whether to break down and buy one of these myself.

ETA:  Sorry, I'm an idiot....I meant to say they looked like a 1911 frame.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:37:06 AM by Nick_Fury »
The Department of Redundancy Department...

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 12:53:13 AM »
Had seen those when I ordered some ammo from AIM a few weeks ago.  That's partly what sparked my questions.  Saw that at the CZ's they and some other places have.

Nick_Fury

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Samuel L. Jackson? Are you kidding me???
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 12:54:46 AM »
Had seen those when I ordered some ammo from AIM a few weeks ago.  That's partly what sparked my questions.  Saw that at the CZ's they and some other places have.

I saw those too.  I like the look of the Star B's better than the CZ's.
The Department of Redundancy Department...