Author Topic: Yugo SKS Jamming Problem  (Read 2209 times)

Conanld

• SKS Newbie
Yugo SKS Jamming Problem
« on: November 25, 2007, 02:19:07 AM »
I have a Yugo SKS that jams periodically. It used to also have an ejection problem, but I fixed that with a new gas valve. The magazine is slightly loose fitting and it jiggles a little bit from side to side.

My other Yugo SKS never jams. It's magazine is tight as a drum. Both Yugos have the fixed box 10 round magazines. I compared both magazines head to head, and both appeared to be essentially identical.

I shimmed the SKS with the loose magazine, but I haven't yet had a chance to test it out after putting the shim in place. The magazine is now tight. It looks to me like a flange on the stock of the problem rifle may have been sanded off for some reason. The other rifle still has the wooden flange on the stock where the magazine inserts.

Could a loose magazine cause a Yugo SKS to jam? The Rifle all in all is a decent shooter. I just wish I could resolve the jamming problem, because once it happens, it can be a bear to get the offending round out of the action.

Typically, the round that jams will feature a dented and damaged bullet end.

Any thoughts on this perplexing problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

LD

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: Yugo SKS Jamming Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 02:36:33 AM »
The first thing I would do in this case is swap mags and take each gun out to the range to test function. This will eliminate the possibility that the mag has a problem. If the mag from the jamming gun fires flawless in the good gun and the good mag doesn't shoot then we know it caused by the wobble/sanded area. This being said, you will know if you need a new mag or to fix/shim or buy a new stock.
Quote from: Thed
My suggestion would be to give him his own user group and title. Call it "Special" or "Shortbus".... maybe "Gimpy 'tard".

Conanld

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 02:54:15 AM »
I hope to be able to test both rifles out again at my first opportunity next Saturday. I sure hope the problem isn't the magazine. I really hope to keep the configuration as original as possible. It seems that the fixed SKS 10 round magazines are a bit hard to come by.

It reminds me of one of my Mosin Nagant M91/30 rifles. With the exception of one small missing part, the rifle is in very good condition. It's missing the rear barrel band spring. I have not been able to find one anywhere.  :(

LD

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:04:47 AM »
It's missing the rear barrel band spring. I have not been able to find one anywhere. 

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=296970-02A

Type winchester in the coupon code box for free shipping I just ordered one of these the other day for a M44 and the band springs are all the same for the Russian M38, M44 and 91/30   with the free shipping your looking at $3.80
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 03:06:38 AM by Wilson »
My suggestion would be to give him his own user group and title. Call it "Special" or "Shortbus".... maybe "Gimpy 'tard".

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Who I am /\. Things I say >
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »
Have you noticed that the rounds only jam when feeding from one side of the magazine? Every time it jams check which round it just fed. You may need to bend your feed lip up on that side.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

Conanld

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
It's missing the rear barrel band spring. I have not been able to find one anywhere. 

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=296970-02A

Type winchester in the coupon code box for free shipping I just ordered one of these the other day for a M44 and the band springs are all the same for the Russian M38, M44 and 91/30   with the free shipping your looking at $3.80

Outstanding! Thanks so much!

LD

Conanld

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »
Have you noticed that the rounds only jam when feeding from one side of the magazine? Every time it jams check which round it just fed. You may need to bend your feed lip up on that side.

That's a good idea - I hadn't thought of that. I'll pay much closer attention next time it happens.

Thanks!

LD

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »
It looks to me like a flange on the stock of the problem rifle may have been sanded off for some reason. The other rifle still has the wooden flange on the stock where the magazine inserts.

Can you go into a little detail on what section you are talking about here. I just read your post on gunboards and you say when it jams, the round doesn't quite make it far enough up to chamber. It could quite possibly be not installed correctly and this is the cause of your problems.

Conanld

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
It looks to me like a flange on the stock of the problem rifle may have been sanded off for some reason. The other rifle still has the wooden flange on the stock where the magazine inserts.

Can you go into a little detail on what section you are talking about here. I just read your post on gunboards and you say when it jams, the round doesn't quite make it far enough up to chamber. It could quite possibly be not installed correctly and this is the cause of your problems.

I guess this is a good example why paper and pen might be a good accessory to take to the range :-) My memory is a bit hazy, but I recall seeing in one case, a round not making it up to the chamber, with the bullet end pressing into the area just below the chamber itself. In another situation, I believe I recall seeing the round attempting to chamber from a canted or slightly diagonal position.

The jams seem to occur only after several successful rounds have already been fired. The last time out, the jams didn't happen until after at least 40 successful rounds were fired. After that, the jamming became frequent. The rifle had been cleaned before use. Typically, I don't load to the 10 round capacity. I'll insert between 3 and 5 rounds or so at a time.

My functional SKS has a cutout into the (inside) side of the wood stock at exactly the place where the magazine inserts. This cutout extends down about a half an inch or more  from the top, before ending. Below this point, the wood is thicker, or tighter where the magazine ultimately rests. When I looked at the stock of my problem SKS, there was no cutout visible. Instead, the entire side of the wood stock in the vicinity of where the magazine sits was flush, unlike my functioning rifle. So there is a difference between the stocks of the two rifles. Since there was more sideways space within the problem rifle, I just assumed that someone had at some time or another, sanded off the extra thickness of the wood around where the magazine would be held.

LD

Conanld

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 07:11:36 PM »
The jamming problem with my second Yugo SKS appears to have been fixed!

When I purchased it, I had not taken the Trigger/Magazine mechanism apart from the stock. To clean it, I had simply sprayed degreaser down into it. I surmise that whoever had last installed the trigger mechanism, must have installed it incorrectly. I took it apart and reinstalled it.

Today I took it out to the range and ran 80 rounds though it with no jams at all. Hooray!

LD  8)