Author Topic: Checkoslovakian SKS  (Read 2420 times)

Airborne

• SKS Marksman
  • Oklahoma Territory
Checkoslovakian SKS
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »
I'm looking around for another SKS rifle to make my every day shooter and a local pawn shop claims to have a Checkoslovakian SKS.  I've never heard of such a thing, but I don't know everything, so I'm referring this to the group.  He wants $200. 

I haven't even laid eyes on it yet, so I'm not sure what kind of condition it is in.  Might go have a look just in case he has no idea what he's looking at.  Maybe I'll end end up with another nice Chinese for a song.  Anyone know what he might be talking about?  Is there a Checko version?

Thanks!
1966 /26\

Wilson

• Ripoff Artist
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: Checkoslovakian SKS
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »
I would bet he is confusing A Yugoslavian 59/66 SKS for what he thinks is a Czech model.
Quote from: Thed
My suggestion would be to give him his own user group and title. Call it "Special" or "Shortbus".... maybe "Gimpy 'tard".

Poncho400

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:32:44 PM »
Yea, probably confusing it as a Yugo.

But it's worth a look anyway.
What is it really, that motivates you?
The need to fly, or this fear to stop?

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »
It's interesting just from the point that it, evidently, doesn't have the country of origin stamped on it.  But regardless of what it is $200 is worth taking a look at.

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »
Though they may have ultimately used the SKS rifle the Czech's were producing their own semi-auto rifle in the VZ52 and then the VZ57 and VZ58.  Pistols were non-standard Soviet bloc as well.  Kind of followed their own path for some military hardware.

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »
I agree with AKBLUE, the rifle could be a VZOR 52 SHE rifle.  They look similar to the SKS.  I am not sure if the Czechs used the SKS for ceremony (they would have no need to because they have SHEs), even if they did purchase the SKS from somebody else it is doubtful that any were ever imported here.

As an aside if it is an SHE and not an SKS and you decide to buy it, do not try to use 7.62X39 ammo in it.  The SHE uses a 7.62X45 round which is not interchangable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:44:39 PM by bumthum »

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 05:13:10 PM »
The proper spelling is "Czechoslovakian".  Just in case anybody cares.

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 05:42:29 PM »
If it is the VZ52, get it. I bought one back in the 90's that they were selling with the black crackle paint slobbered on it. It was fun to shoot until the ammo dried up in my area and had no real recoil. I remember them being a lot cheaper than that though..........along with everything else. If its a 59/66 then it seems to be a decent price. Never hurts to look.
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »
I agree with AKBLUE, the rifle could be a VZOR 52 SHE rifle.  They look similar to the SKS.  I am not sure if the Czechs used the SKS for ceremony (they would have no need to because they have SHEs), even if they did purchase the SKS from somebody else it is doubtful that any were ever imported here.

As an aside if it is an SHE and not an SKS and you decide to buy it, do not try to use 7.62X39 ammo in it.  The SHE uses a 7.62X45 round which is not interchangable.

Actually the VZ57 is an updated VZ52 (she) rifle chambered in 7.62x39.  Not real common but they are out there.

rentprop1

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »
either way a Yugo SKS or a VZ 52 or VZ 52/57 for $ 200 grab it ,.....if its a VZ and you pass tell me where please  :lol:

just for fun

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »
The proper spelling is "Czechoslovakian".  Just in case anybody cares.
THANK YOU, Granpaw Great was about to roll over in his grave!!!
NEVER scare old people- they WILL kill you

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »
I guess I knew, at one point, that there was a more rare 7.2X39 version of the SHE, but I thought it was more experimental than general issue.  As for the ammo, I have a crap ton of it.  Probably a few hundred rounds and no rifle to shoot it out of.  It is all original Czech ammo and of no use to me.  If it ends up being an SHE in 7.62X45 let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Airborne

• SKS Marksman
  • Oklahoma Territory
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:22:37 PM »
Ok, I was curious so I called this guy back to inquire about his Czech (nevermind the spelling) rifle.  When he answered I asked him to describe some of the features of the rifle and why he thinks it is a Czech model, he said "well, it is stamped CZ somewhere on this thing..."  I hear him fumbling around, looking it over, and he says again "I know it is stamped CZ somewhere... CZ makes high end target rifles, ya know?  This one has a long muzzle break, a boyonet lug, but no bayonet... mumble mumble... I might have one laying around here somewhere."  I said, "ok, I'll be out in a bit to take a look at what you've got."  I drove a half an hour to this place, walked inside and as soon as he pointed to the rack it was sitting on I said "that's a yugo!"  He explains, "all the paperwork I have on that rifle says that it's a CZ."  Paperwork?  Pleeeeease pawn shop dude, quit puling my leg.  Bubba just brought this thing in last week so he could get him one of those shiny new XBox gizmos.  I proceeded to point out several features that were distinctively Yugoslavian SKS and he just clams up.  I don't know if he was trying to hype it up or if he was really unsure what he had, but for $195 it was looking a little rough.  I would settle for a nice yugo, but I'd prefer another Norinco.  I just got the feeling he was trying to buffalo me into thinking it was a great rifle... you know, made by CZ, the high end target rifle people... LOL! 

Through some phone calling I've found some other rifles in the area.  The most interesting is a Russian about 20 minutes away, but the dealer (pawn dude) can't sell it for at least another week and I'm not sure what he'll want.  I also found 3 other yugos in good condition, but this guy wants $349 each.  Puff Puff Puff on da crack pipe! 

Anyhow, not to drag on... that's the story on the Czech SKS.  Oh, by the way, it wasn't stamped CZ anywhere on that thing.  8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:29:13 PM by Airborne »
1966 /26\

RussianRedneck

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:33:58 PM »
would you be interested in purchasing this russian?
http://a436.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/59/l_20b9d3ef11c81a88a8b7ff8c4d99f49b.jpg

would like to get 300 for it. 1952 tula good shape, small rust spot on the mag, bubba tried to sharpen the tip of the bayo and the gas tube is loose and the wood on the tube has lost some varnish but the stock is very nice. i plan on going to a show this weekend and if i don't sell it there or don't go at all i'll sell it to you. this would make a great shooter. pm me if you're interested.
I'm thinkin' you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling, so why don't we just ignore each other 'til we go away?

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 07:58:47 AM »
It is possible that the paper work said "Crvena Zastava" on it.  Or perhaps the importer stamped CZ on it somewhere as the manufacturer of origin.  Crvena Zastava is the factory that builds the M-59/66 and to the untrained eye could look like Czeska Zbrojovka, the Czech company which makes CZ.