Author Topic: Removal of hand guard from gas tube  (Read 9984 times)

wigmaster0

• SKS Newbie
Removal of hand guard from gas tube
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:14:37 PM »
I need some pix or something of how to drill out the pin to remove the handguard. I just got the tapco stock and I cannot get the wood handguard off to be able to use the tapco one. What size drill bit? Which side of the tube? I am getting annoyed with how I always get the guns that are a pain in the ass to work on. The Tapco instructions make it sound like it is a piece of cake. To this I say yeah right! Any help for an SKS newbie would be greatly appreciated.

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Removal of hand guard from gas tube
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »
We really need to put up a sticky about the handguard removal.  It would save having to answer the same questions over and over again.

I am the one they call Cesar.

micmacman

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:32:50 PM »
you dont drill it,you back it out with a punch,you need the pin to install the new hand guard

you might be better off buying another gas tube so you dont bugger up the original
NRA Member,and gun addict

wigmaster0

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:38:15 PM »
I tried punching it out and nearly punched myself out in anger. The pin is sheared or something and it only appears to be one sided from what I can see. I am also unable to locate just a plain gas tube without a rail on it. Where on earth are these things? I know they have to be out there somewhere.

Draksia

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »
you dont drill it,you back it out with a punch,you need the pin to install the new hand guard

you might be better off buying another gas tube so you dont bugger up the original

QFT

I split mine right in have trying to get the gas tube off,  If you have any plans to back to orginal just buy another gas tube its not worth the hassle trying to the handguard off.

wigmaster0

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »
Seeing as though I have no intentions of going back to wood I have to qualms damaging the wood. I can make new wood furniture without a problem. With this in mind if I drill out the pin that is currently sheared off what would I replace it with?

Draksia

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 06:12:04 PM »
I replaced mine with roll pin found at Ace hardware not sure what size exactly.

grousedog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 07:11:01 PM »
I used a nail.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 07:20:25 PM »
Use a Dremel tool burr (best) or a drill with a small bit to gently remove the peened shoulder off the pin.  You do not need to remove very much.  Try not to drill anything off the ferrule. Use a good drift punch to drive it out.  If you have another set of hands use the slightly open jaws of a bench vise to place the flat portion of the rear ferrule.  Then drive out the pin.  To replace it you can use a nail or coat hangar of the proper diameter and a couple of thousandths over length. Gently peen the ends by tapping it on a solid surface. Final dressing with a file may be needed to seat it in the sight block area for re-assembley
Do not try to drive out the peened pin without drilling/dremeling.  You will likely injure the guard, the ferrule or your fingers (self).  It is a straight forward operation.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:52:29 PM by AKBLUE »

Airborne

• SKS Marksman
  • Oklahoma Territory
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:51 PM »
I too had a hard time with mine, but the key is patience.  It will take a couple of good whacks with a good punch, but I replaced the original with a roll pin... 1/8" I think.  Here is my write up.  Hope it helps.  http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=18136.msg206894#msg206894
1966 /26\

Centuryhouse

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:56:01 PM »
Use a Dremel tool burr (best) or a drill with a small bit to gently remove remove the peened shoulder off the pin.  You do not need to remove very much.  Try not to drill anything off the ferrule. Use a good drift punch to drive it out.  If you have another set of hands ue the slightly open jaws of a bench vise to place the flat portion of the rear ferrule.  Then drive out the pin.  To replace it you can use a nail or coat hangar of the proper diameter and a couple of thousandths over length. Gently peen the ends by tapping it on a solid surface. Final dreaassing with a file may be needed to seat it in the sight block area for re-assembley
Do not try to drive out the peened pin without drilling/dremeling.  You will likely injure the guard, the ferrule or your fingers (self).  It is a straight forward operation.

This is really good advice.

I have had a few that I was able to drive out quickly with no real effort or issues. I've had others that were peened and I just couldn't get them out. Dremelling to remove a slight bit of the peened part is a great idea.

SGT ROCK

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 11:29:58 PM »
Dremel is the best tool to remove peened end or ends....sometimes both ends are peened then ground smooth with the appearance there is no pin.
I have used the sight pins..............there's always a guy at the fun shows that has the sks pins....I believe most all the sks pins are the same diameter...........length can always be cut.........peen the ends flat....Just as AKBLUE says...............careful not to flatten the ferrule.
'50, '51 '53, '56, '64, '65, '66, '67, '67, '92, '93, '65, '76, '60, '71

Centuryhouse

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 11:57:42 PM »
Ignorant question - on a new pin, how do you 'peen the ends flat'?

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 12:14:42 AM »
To peen the ends you use a hammer to strike the pin (gently) with the opposite end supported on a metal object such as the flat top of a vice jaw or an anvil etc.  You can pre-peen one end first and it is easier to then peen the other end. 

wigmaster0

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:22:37 PM »
I think I will just buy a new gas tube. I am as mechanically inclined as a turnip. Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate the info. Would I sound dumb if I thought you were talking about cooking implements when I heard someone say a roll pin earlier? Maybe I should stick to shooting and let those who are better qualified to fix my guns?