Author Topic: sks silencer/suppressor  (Read 5844 times)

hunter93

• SKS Newbie
sks silencer/suppressor
« on: January 07, 2008, 11:14:31 PM »
Is there silencers/suppressors for my SKS? I have already found muzzle breaks, but i wanted a more quiet gun, here is the site for the muzzle break: http://www.floridagunworks.com/floridagunworks_product_list_3.html
On code 1337. Would that be okay?

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: sks silencer/suppressor
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
A suppressor is an NFA controlled item.  Assuming it's even legal in your state, you'd have to go through a class III dealer and submit paperwork to ATF and wait for it to be approved before you can get it.  You'd also have to pay for the $200 tax stamp and pay the dealer his transfer fee.  The form itself would have had to have been signed by the chief law enforcement officer in your area unless you want to form a corporation or a trust. 

Whatever model of suppressor you purchase would then have to be somehow fitted to your SKS, and you'd have to use subsonic ammo on it which I don't believe is commercially available, and if it is, it's probably pretty expensive.  More than likely, it will also affect your point of impact, so you'd have to re-sight the rifle.  I know people that spend a lot of time trying out all types of different combinations of suppressors, ammo, and rifles to see what actually works.  I'm not sure anyone has actually tried it with an SKS, but it's possible someone might have.

Kind of a lot of trouble to go through if you just want a more quiet gun.
I am the one they call Cesar.

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:07 AM »
IMHO I'd use the money and get a .22.  If that's still too loud, use subsonic rounds, and if that is still too loud, they are making some very nice air rifles these days.  I mean no disrespect by that either.
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.  - Ghandi

hunter93

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:15 AM »
would the muzzle break have the same complications?

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:15:32 AM »
The only thing you'd have to worry about with the muzzle break is 922r compliance.  Search the forums for a more detailed explanation of that.

Also...has anyone else used these guys?  They seem to have some interesting things for sale, and at least decent prices...which always seems to get me a little warry when I haven't heard of them.  Anyone have any feed back?

the link is here http://www.floridagunworks.com/floridagunworks_product_list_3.html

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 11:22:47 PM »
would the muzzle break have the same complications?

Muzzle breaks aren't NFA controlled items, so like M@d H@tter said, the only thing you'd have to worry about is 9.22r compliance. Bear in mind though, that anything that reduces the sound of the shot being fired could be legally considered a suppressor, so making one would probably get you in hot water unless you go through the proper channels.

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:48:02 PM »
Also...has anyone else used these guys?  They seem to have some interesting things for sale, and at least decent prices...which always seems to get me a little warry when I haven't heard of them.  Anyone have any feed back?

the link is here http://www.floridagunworks.com/floridagunworks_product_list_3.html

Run, Forrest, run!

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=25388.0

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »
Good to know my spider senses are good for something.  Just making sure.

Thanks Sniper!

micmacman

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »
i dont know about you guys,but my M had a slip on MB on it when i bought it,and it made it extremely loud,i removed it and its much better

the muzzle brake on my AMD-65 is the same way,one loud little gun
NRA Member,and gun addict

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:36:09 PM »
If you want an obnoxiously quiet gun without all the paper work, get a .22 lever action, and some sub sonic bullets. It can be even quieter than an adult air rifle, with roughly the same amount of power.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:55:43 PM »
i dont know about you guys,but my M had a slip on MB on it when i bought it,and it made it extremely loud,i removed it and its much better

the muzzle brake on my AMD-65 is the same way,one loud little gun

That's actually pretty common.  Flash suppressors are like that too.  Sometimes I think the manufacturers design them that way so there's no way they could be considered a suppressor.

micmacman

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
lol,yea id say a muzzle brake definatly is at the other end of the spectrum than a suppressor,im not kidding,even with Peltor earphones on it was too obnoxious,and is the only thing i dont like about the AMD-65,but its tacked on so i cant do anything with it
NRA Member,and gun addict

Logan7

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 02:21:15 AM »
When I click on Hunter93's link to Florida Gun Works, I see a warning from my computer -

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors."

My system further states -

"About certificate errors:

A certificate is an electronic document that can help identify a website's owner and can help you make decisions about trusting the site with personal or financial information. Certificates are issued by certification authorities whose responsibility it is to confirm the identity of the website owner or organization
."

Further -

"Is it ever safe to ignore a certificate warning and continue to a website?

A website's certificate provides identification of the web server. If the certificate has an error, it might indicate that your connection has been intercepted or that the web server is misrepresenting its identity
."

I don't know the history with Florida Gun Works, what that's all about, but some of this site's content has security certificate errors. And I am not a little suspicious about a new forum member asking after silencers/suppressors for the SKS, and providing us all with this link.

About the first thing on the FGW website is a search bar >>Just be sure you do not type in "silencer" there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:49:18 AM by Logan7 »
Lex Malla, Lex Nulla