Author Topic: New High Point 9mm jam  (Read 2424 times)

Razor

• SKS Newbie
New High Point 9mm jam
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »
So as it reads I bought a brand new high point 9mm at the gun show for 140. I took it to the range and if I install anymore than 5 rounds in the clip the gun jams. It's suppose to hold 9 rounds. A friend was telling me that it might just need to get broke in. Any ideas or advice?? I know this is a cheapy gun and not the best but it's my first handgun. Thanks for the help guys!

Aries

• SKS Marksman
  • Right or wrong, I am the man with the gun.
Re: New High Point 9mm jam
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:45:47 PM »
Hey, I bought one of these also a while back. I had the jamming problem. I sent it back to hi point and the fixed it. I do not have that problem any more. The 9mm carbine is a much better buy. I have had o problems with it.
 A.

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »
Brother, some HiPoints have jamming issues but in most cases are associated with the magazine feed lips which can be fixed by adjusting the lips in or out depending on the feed/jam problem, if you want alot of great HiPoint advice join this forum.  http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/

Again, if you have ANY issues and you do not want to deal with them, send it back to HiPoint and they will refurb the gun to like new condition and fix the problem and send you a free magazine to make up for the shipping.  BTW, $140.00 was a little high for a used C9.  You can get a new one for around $119.00 on sale from some places.  http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/

Click on download monthly ad near the top of the page.

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

Razor

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »
I just joined that high point forum. This gun is BRAND NEW so I dnt understand why it would need to be redone.... Should I try another mag??

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
It's the mags not the gun, the mags are like girls, sometimes you get a keeper and some times you get a hooker  :lol:.  Call HP and tell them the problem, you may just want to exchange the mags for new one's before you send in the gun.  You should be able to ship the mag in for like under $2.00 via first class mail in a padded envelope.

Razor

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »
I will probably send in the mag. A friend told me the same thing about the mag... Does anyone have the address for high point???

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »

Oregon Pastor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Lupus -- This Wolf has a taste for MY blood.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »
Break it in.

What ammo are you shooting?  I started out with Blazer and it was horrible.

First 100 rounds I had a few jams, but it has been perfect after that.  I shoot Sellier and Bellot with mine and it operates flawlessly.

When you load the mag, tap it so that all the rounds are flush with the back of the mag.  Make sure your first round is going it pointed up slightly. 

Start out with 5 rounds if that it all that it works with, and then work your way up.  I think that the ramp needs a little break in, at least on mine.

I enjoy that little gun.

OP
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes . . .

pex

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »
Again, if you have ANY issues and you do not want to deal with them, send it back to HiPoint and they will refurb the gun to like new condition and fix the problem and send you a free magazine to make up for the shipping.  BTW, $140.00 was a little high for a used C9.  You can get a new one for around $119.00 on sale from some places.  http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/

Wow, I wish MY state had sales like that.  Today you can't get them for under 140 here.  119 is today's 99 sale of two years ago.

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »
I bought one out of curiosity. I put about 250 rounds throught it with zero problems. I have the factory 8 and a 10 round mag.

bscman

• SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.myspace.com/anotherherodrowns
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »
Magazines can be finicky in general...even more so when you get into cheaper and cheaper handguns--materials used and fitting process really takes a dive when they try and build a "budget" pistol.

I've hand brand new $30-40 magazines that have needed slight tweaking from the factory. New doesn't always mean perfect--magazines are no different than new automobiles, computers, or even fast food. Sometime you just don't get what you were expecting.

Hi-Point has great customer service...send it back, or have 'em exchange the magazine and see if that helps. MIght be a good idea to buy a few more magazines. A semi-auto with less than 3 magazines is a waste IMHO. From what I recall, hi-point is the cheapest place to get mags.

Don't feel bad about spending $140.
It's nearly impossible to find 'em less than that in my area. I often see 'em marked $150-169 at gun shows, though they will haggle a bit.
*Udpdated* DIY SKS Match trigger http://bsclem.8m.com/triggersafety.html
------------------------------------------------