Author Topic: Tapco Detachable 20rd mag  (Read 2002 times)

SKHESS

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Tapco Detachable 20rd mag
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
Bill,                                                                                                                                              I tried to send you a message before on this but don't know if you got it. It's about the design of the 20rd detatchable mag. The top part of the magazine spring that slides into the follower with the top of the spring pointed to the back of the magazine. Giving the back of the follower and the bullet  more support,and making the front of the bullet point down. By turning the spring around so its pointing to the front of the follower it gives the front of the follower and the bullet more support and also changing the angle so the bullet is pointing up towards the chamber.  The magazine spring will not slide into the slot of the follower; it still works perfect.  I had problems with the magazines jamming until I turned the spring as described above.  You can visually see a difference if you put one magazine together like its designed pointing back and another magazine with the spring turned forward as I described,then hold them together and compare the angle of the followers.  The magazine with the spring changed pointing to the front has a better feed angle with the front of bullet pointed up towards the chamber . I have not had any jams since turning the spring around in all my Tapco mags. It just seemed odd that it was designed this way because all my other mags for other guns always have the mag spring pointed to the front of the bullet for proper feed angle. Ijust wanted to give you a heads up on this because it really helps. I love all your products,the t-6 stock for the sks is the BEST.         thanks-SKHESS                                                                                   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:55:06 AM by SKHESS »
Better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it.......BOOM!

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
Re: Tapco Detachable 20rd mag
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »
I bet you did this with a Yugo 59/66...didn't you?

There appears to be variances with these SKS models that effect feed -aftermarket mags tend to feed low in these, and contribute to jams.

I think that the issue would be better addressed by doing the 8:00 to 4:00 radius/chamfer job on the entrance of the chamber.

This was part of what was required to "tune" my yugo SKS of this type to use a aftermarket 20 round fixed box mag in it -it also functions with a Tapco 20 round mag without difficulty after this mod.

Most magazine designs place the spring to where it pushes the underside of the rear of the follower. This is actually most positive (and helps the BHO feature with the Tapco).

The reversing the spring thing may get the round higher to feed -but it didn't FIX the problem -only ADAPTED to it.

Fixing things is better. The best idea, though spooky to many, is to do whatever is needed to the gun to use a standardly available mag, rather than the mag -possible in many cases and tempting. But, in anycase, to NOT do both -where you end up with a one-of-a-king gun that somebody 20 years from now is going to get frustrated trying to figure out what happened to it.

Jus' some thoughts.

LG :walk: (And, Tapco has the mags right!)

P.S -Some pics using my Yugo 59/66 & the Tapco mag:

Fits very nicely with a little, very little, wood removal from inside the mag well -don't leave it overly tight, as it can "pinch" the top of the feed lips, and restrict follower movement, causing feed problems.

And with a radius/chamfer throat job...

Feed from the Tapco mag can be seen to be positive and at a correct angle. This is a common mod done by many on this site.

LG

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:44:44 PM by Lollygagger »

SKHESS

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
Yes it is a yugo 59/66,and the first mag i got worked fine,it was the second mag that jammed all the time until I turned the spring. And as I said in my first post, most mags i've seen are designed to push the underside of of the front of the follower to point the bullet up to the chamber. I know you said most mags you've seen are the opposite, so how does the spring supporting the back of follower help feeding when doing this pushes the back of the round up making the front point down?-causing jams.....It only makes sense to try angle the round into the chamber,not right below it......  

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »
Yeah  Who's this Lollygagger character anyways?  Apparently thinks he's some kind of expert on magazines.  I wonder how many he's actually looked at.   :lol:

It does make sense that due to the shape of the cartridge and mag and even the weight distribution of the ammo on the follower there would be an advantage to the spring higher at the rear

If you don't know, shut yer hole

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:18:01 AM »
I seen a banana clip once.

LG  :lol: (t turned brown)

SKHESS

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:56:23 AM »
Yeah  Who's this Lollygagger character anyways?  Apparently thinks he's some kind of expert on magazines.  I wonder how many he's actually looked at.   :lol:

It does make sense that due to the shape of the cartridge and mag and even the weight distribution of the ammo on the follower there would be an advantage to the spring higher at the rear

The amount of pressure on the follower is not going to change unless you get a different weight mag spring. Turning the spring so that it ends in the front of follower is just changing the angle of the round .I forgot to mention that before I turned the spring to the front, the bullettip was hitting the front inside top part of my mag,leaving grooves on the mag. I turned the spring to end  in the front of the follower and the rounds now clear the  front inside of the top of the mag. 8) Oh and Lollygager seems very knowledgable and I have read many of his thousands of post and it has helped me . I'm not arguing with anyone,just sharing my experience. :lol:

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:33:04 AM »
The amount of pressure on the follower is not going to change unless you get a different weight mag spring. Turning the spring so that it ends in the front of follower is just changing the angle of the round .I forgot to mention that before I turned the spring to the front, the bullettip was hitting the front inside top part of my mag,leaving grooves on the mag. I turned the spring to end  in the front of the follower and the rounds now clear the  front inside of the top of the mag. 8)

There are cases in which turning around the spring could well increase the angle of feed -and chamber some rounds (usually the last) in a magazine who's mating in a firearm is being problematic. It is more of a indication of a problem -than a "fix". This is usually a trait of poorly designed and/or produced magazines.

The Tapco magazine is both well designed and appears produced with care. Further, the design of it's follower is a very "positive" one -meaning, it appears to rise to a solid "stop", and is designed to NOT be "dragged" forward, as you see in many aftermarket designes. It also is positive in it's BHO function.

It should (and I know I'm saying "should") NOT had the front of the follower anywhere near where a round could impact the mag body on loading.

Considering this, without examining the magazine, the most common observation would be to assume one of the following:

(1) Some plastic "flash" from the molding process is somehow retarding the follower's movement -meaning, trim it.

(2) The magazine was damaged from a attempt to place it in/out of the action with the BOLT/CARRIER FORWARD.

(3) The spring is TOO WEAK ("sacked") due to whatever reason.

I suspect the latter. aftermarket springs don'rt appear to be as consistent in their production as milspec ones. You might switch springs and see what happens.

I'm sure Tapco would have addressed the problem if you returned th magazine.

The bottom line I'm trying to say here, again, is that turning the spring around is NOT A "FIX". The magazines are designed to work positively with the spring contacting the rear of the follower.

Yours, LG :walk:

P.S -The other SKS mazazine function glitches that some experience (No! I'm not alying these on you.) are:

(4) Failure to "set" the magazine well in th action.

(5) Poor loading technique (incorrectly "easing" the bolt/carrier forward.

I had guessed, correctly evidently, that you were using a Yugo 59/66 -as they can be more problematic (in my opinion) with aftermarket magazine use. This could complicate the problems you've experienced further -this often being associated with the Yugo 59/66 being "on the line" of malfucntion because of worn gas systems..

With this post, I am going to let the topic go. It's Tapco's mag -I'll leave any further input to them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:19:16 PM by Lollygagger »

SKHESS

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »
I'm done with this topic too. I went ahead and put a feed ramp under the barrel as seen before on one of lollygagers post. I went shooting today(in the snow)and did some testing. I loaded both of my mags and wasn't really aiming just pulling the trigger fast as possible to test the feeding.After running about 100rnds that way I slowed down a little and fired about 60more rnds. 0 jams 8)All the ammo was wolf hollow points. 8) I am going to try to put the spring back to the original design next time I go shooting. I am so happy now that my SKS is 100% reliable. 8) 8) 8) 

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:57:55 PM »
I went ahead and put a feed ramp under the barrel...I am so happy now that my SKS is 100% reliable. 8) 8) 8) 

If it eats HP reliably, as you indicate -it's okay.

LG :walk: