Author Topic: Locating rivet / screw holes - drilling receiver (pics)  (Read 1751 times)

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
Locating rivet / screw holes - drilling receiver (pics)
« on: February 22, 2008, 02:41:47 PM »
 A lot of people were asking how to find the correct location for the rivet / screw holes. As long as you have a drill press you can use this method (mine is a cheap Ryobi). It's simple.

1) Just turn the table sideways and use a level to check that it's uh... level.

2) Use a C-clamp to hold the trunnion to the table. Make sure the C-clamp goes over the part of the trunnion where the recoil spring locks in, in other words, the part that the receiver doesn't cover.

3) Line the trunnion holes up with the drill bit and make sure the bit travels all the way through. Check to see that there's no pressure on the drill bit that it's not touching any sides. (Use a bit smaller than the actual hole size, but pretty close)

4) Slide the receiver onto the trunnion carefully so as not to move anything out of alignment.

5) Use a second C-clamp to squeeze the receiver slightly so the drill bit doesn't spread it out when pressure is applied.

6) Slowly start drilling and let the bit pass all the way through one side and out the other, making sure the second C-clamp is keeping the receiver from spreading as the bit pushes on the other side.

7) Now you can use a hand drill to open the holes to the right size, then clean them up.

The same method can be used for the front trunnion. This is just a simple fool-proof way to do it. It's my preferred method since taking measurements makes my head hurt.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 07:22:36 AM by Messiah Jones »
"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
Re: Locating rivet / screw holes - drilling receiver (pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 02:47:28 PM »
Oooh .. TIN coated drill bit MJ. I'm impressed.  :lol:
Good pics BTW !!!
Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »
Oooh .. TIN coated drill bit MJ. I'm impressed.

Hey now, I'm an amature here and that was the last drill bit I had that wasn't broken. (The sad thing is that it's just about true). At least I finally found a use for that 2" C-clamp.
"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »
What were you doing. Using up the junk drills first?
No wonder they broke. (shakes head)
 8)
Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall

Tazman 442

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 01:04:28 AM »
Pretty slick , have to remember that one.

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:25:56 AM »
What were you doing. Using up the junk drills first?
No wonder they broke. (shakes head)

Hey, remember when I said I was an amature? That means that I don't know what "TIN" means and that I thought it meant "tin", like a "tin can". Jeez, you professional machinists are all alike :!: The sad thing is that I had to read your post many times to realize what you meant!

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »
My bad MJ.
But now that your on track and to bring anyone else up to date that is wondering:

TIN/TiN = Titanium Nitride .. a coating that shows up gold in color.

Basic use in the metal cutting industry:
Applied to a metal surface that makes contact with a (typical) similar metal surface and is very hard extending the life of the coated area.
Widely used on cutting tooling to (in effect) extend the life of the sharp edge thru it's super hardness.
Rc scale is somewhere in the 80's. That is very hard.
TiN coated surfaces for tooling are said to give up to 3 times the wear resistance.

A slight down side as I see it is when a pc. of tooling that has been TiN coated needs to be dressed/sharpened.
On any type of tooling there are 2 leading edges. Both usually have a rake for clearance. When dressed one of those edges will then loose the TiN coat and the base steel is then exposed. Under this condition the tool will then wear closer to untreated tooling. Looking at a drill as an example there are two cutting edges. Each of those cutting edges has two leading edges. When sharpened the outside edge that gives you the angle of the point will have the TiN coat then removed.

The bright side of this on the other hand is by the time that drill bit needs sharpened you will have received the full benefit of the TiN coat. Now that that drill bit is resharpened it can be tucked away and used for a 'lesser' need.

At this time and if it hasn't been done already you would want to replace that bit in your index with a new TiN coated drill bit.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:13:09 AM by Fragger »

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »
Messiah Jones,

Nice tip.  I have used the demillied receiver piece overlay, the post-it-note hole marks, the blind hole finder and the head ache measuring.  Your demonstrated method is pretty slick.  Particularly if you drill a 1/16 pilot hole first to double check alignment etc.  Sweet. :lol:

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 04:48:34 AM »

I'm sorry if this is a double post. I could've sworn that I already posted this here...

I have the sections of the demilled receiver for a Yugo M70AB2 swell-sided underfolder if anyone is interested.

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
You're not going crazy. I saw the original. We lost a few post due to the move of the boards to a new host MJ.