Author Topic: AK mag adapter  (Read 7223 times)

tomh1426

• SKS Plinker
AK mag adapter
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
I dunno if this is legal but hasent someone made somthing so that regular ak mags work in sks's?

yugowego

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Wild Wonderful WV
Re: AK mag adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:34:30 PM »
there is a conversion but unless you are a machinist i wouldnt try it

yugowego

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Wild Wonderful WV
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:36:26 PM »
if i remember right, there was a company that made one that had a filler piece and used mags that closely resembly AK mags...i will try to search and find em

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »
I dunno if this is legal but hasent someone made somthing so that regular ak mags work in sks's?

No, there is no kit or adapter that will allow a standard SKS to take AK mags.  The conversion is possible, but it really requires machinist skills and a machine shop as well as welding equipment and the ability to use it.  There were several accessories made that would allow the use of special non-duckbill mags, but these were not regular AK mags. 
I am the one they call Cesar.

yugowego

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Wild Wonderful WV
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
No, there is no kit or adapter that will allow a standard SKS to take AK mags.  The conversion is possible, but it really requires machinist skills and a machine shop as well as welding equipment and the ability to use it.  There were several accessories made that would allow the use of special non-duckbill mags, but these were not regular AK mags. 

yep...thats what i said

akastormi

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »
there is a conversion but unless you are a machinist i wouldnt try it

I did a conversion once, not looking to do it again for a while.
Time consuming, tedious work, if you screw it up, it's junk with no way to fix it. Say bye-bye to an SKS reciever.
The job also involved a trip to doctor's office for an OUCHY. That added $180 to the total cost of the job.
What's in your profile?

tomh1426

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »
Well, Im a welder at a machine shop but I dont wanna do it if Its that much of a PITA
Ill just mill my bolt and get some Tapco mags
Thanks, Tom

PrivateJoker

• SKS Shooter
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »
I'm rather new to the SKS world (not new to firearms though)...can someone direct me to some further information on this mod?  I am a gunsmith/tinkerer and can't help fixing something until it's broke.
"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit constitutes firepower." Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC

N. Creel

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
I purchased some u-fix-em's from century and one has a mod that looks like it will use AK mags. Definitely won't use sks mags anymore. They gave me half off the price of this barreled receiver and another one with a broken rail.

I don't have an AK mag to try it, but will get one soon. Whoever did the mod was not a great welder, though the machining seems well done. Good thing the dirt-dobber's-nest-looking welds don't show on under the receiver.

I'll take some pics if anyones interested.

Nathan

Morg308

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Ministry of silly walks employee of the month
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:49:40 PM »

MinnesotaBoy

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • Assault is a behavior, not a device!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »
Sorry to bud in, but what is centuries web sight?
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.

Know guns, know peace, know safety.  No guns, no peace, no safety!

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »

Yeah.

This topic, along with "when it was made & how much is it worth" should have their OWN forums.

LG  :?

GunsRfun

• SKS Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »
I'm rather new to the SKS world (not new to firearms though)...can someone direct me to some further information on this mod?  I am a gunsmith/tinkerer and can't help fixing something until it's broke.

i uploaded scaned pages of a how to manuel. never tried this mod.  try at your own risk.  :evil:

copy and paste the links for bigger photos
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:15:29 AM by GunsRfun »

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »
I don't know about it having its own forum, but a sticky would seem to be a good idea.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
I don't know about it having its own forum, but a sticky would seem to be a good idea.

Yeah, that is a decent idea.

LG :walk: (Of course, folks would do it with well worn Yugo's they never fired and wonder why it didn't work after the mod! :lol:)