Author Topic: Angelina Jolie - War Supporter!  (Read 2480 times)

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
Angelina Jolie - War Supporter!
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »
NEW YORK (AP) Actress and humanitarian activist Angelina Jolie said Thursday that the reinforcement of U.S. troops in Iraq has created an opportunity for humanitarian programs to boost assistance for Iraqi refugees.

In an op-ed piece published by the Washington Post, titled "A Reason to Stay in Iraq," Jolie details the plight of refugees and says their conditions have not improved since she visited the country last August to urge governments to provide more support.

Jolie, who has been a U.N. goodwill ambassador since 2001, was in Baghdad earlier this month to again highlight the refugee problem. She talked with Gen. David Petraeus, the American military commander in Iraq, and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, the U.S. Embassy said.

Petraeus "told me he would support new efforts to address the humanitarian crisis" as much as possible, "which leaves me hopeful that more progress can be made," the actress wrote.

She said she stressed to Iraqi officials there must be a coherent plan for helping some 2 million Iraqis who are taking advantage of the downturn in violence to begin trickling back to abandoned homes from havens elsewhere in the country. A similar number fled Iraq to escape the bloodshed.

"It will be quite a while before Iraq is ready to absorb more than 4 million refugees and displaced people," Jolie wrote. "But it is not too early to start working on solutions."

The actress, who works on behalf of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, urged America's presidential candidates and congressional leaders to step up financing for aid to displaced Iraqis. UNHCR has asked for $261 million this year "less than the U.S. spends each day to fight the war in Iraq," she wrote.

Addressing the question of whether the "troop surge" has worked, Jolie said that "I can only state what I witnessed."

"When I asked the troops if they wanted to go home as soon as possible, they said that they miss home but feel invested in Iraq," she wrote. "They have lost many friends and want to be a part of the humanitarian progress they now feel is possible."

----------

Wow!
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
  • Stay thirsty my friends...
Re: Angelina Jolie - War Supporter!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily say she's a war supporter.  She's just a supporter of globalist interventionism and feel-good UN type garbage.

I read elsewhere that she's slated for a role in the upcoming movie of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged".  Having read this, though, I think it would be laughable for her to be anywhere near a depiction of Ayn Rand's work.

curly

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:50:44 PM »
Maybe, but she's still hot  :o
Selling a gun is like screwing your sister...it's just not right, man.-Foul

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
Still, it takes a bit of nerve to go against the established hollywood rhetoric of being anti war.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »
See, that's the thing.  I don't think she's going against the Hollywood liberal elites.  I think she's just trying to one-up them.

Spinich

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »
I think I smell the future Gov. of California.
"The People" in the 1st, 4th, 9th, and 10th Amendments means the people, but "The People" in the 2nd Amendment means the National Guard.

Heckler

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »
Can i smell her?  If so...can i pick where? :)

Please, protect our rights!

soulstar2100

• SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »
I think I smell the future Gov. of California.

I thought it was fish...

I'm sorry.  I couldn't help myself. :oops:

hailbent

• SKS Sniper
  • "Anne's (Ayn's?) Desert Eagle sang."
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »
Interesting piece.  (now you all STOP!!)   :lol:

I figure she leans left, though I don't follow what all the celebrities are saying.  Must admit I like to see them parodied, though, like on Team America!  As far as her acting goes (beg to differ, Sniper), I think she's one of the best things going, good range, and some power (and a sort of simmering heat).  I thought she did very well with that A Mighty Heart.  (I also think Cruise has been under rated.  Has done a lot of good work.)  I just don't see her (nor Cruise for that matter), as another one of those so prevalent attention whores.  I think that's why Bob Dylan avoided all the activism that sucked in a lot of his contemporaries.  I think he realized that it's largely about wanting to feel needed, as opposed to actually wanting to change anything.

I am curious to see what she does with Atlas.  That book was a bit of a mess compared to Fountainhead, which was rock solid.  I recently saw that theme of the mountain refuge treated interestingly in the early classic Lost Horizon.  You all should read Rand's Anthem, too, if you get a chance, credited as a major influence behind Rush's 2112 (the story side - smoking!).
Wow, you could send a great number of Infidels to heaven with that one!

When you take away a man(imal)'s life, you take away everything the has or is ever going to have.

Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven

1952Sniper

• SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 04:54:16 PM »
I am curious to see what she does with Atlas.  That book was a bit of a mess compared to Fountainhead, which was rock solid.
A bit of a mess?  How so?

I thought The Fountainhead was incredibly boring.  I had to really push myself to finish it.  The story line just seemed to go around in slow circles like an unmanned motorboat for most of the book.  But Atlas Shrugged seemed more to-the-point, the story line kept moving, and it was overall a better read. 

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 07:28:47 PM »
Maybe, but she's still hot  :o

Kind of depends on the lighting in my opinion.

I still think casting her in Atlas Shrugged is a travesty.
I am the one they call Cesar.

pex

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »
While on the subject of celebrities...

Will Farrell apparently was at/supporting a Brady Center conference.
http://www.bradycenter.org/donate/events/2007/la/

Maybe it's for another thread...

Partymember

• SKS Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
i'm about halfway through Fountainhead and i gotta say it practically reads itself. Smoooooth as hell.

and Anthem was great  8)
Culture is to make a nice drinking bowl from one's enemy's skull. Civilization is to go to prison for that.

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »
i'm about halfway through Fountainhead and i gotta say it practically reads itself. Smoooooth as hell.

and Anthem was great  8)

Fontainhead is actually more of a precursor to Atlas Shrugged than anything else.  You can see a lot of ideas and concepts that Rand was trying out which she later perfected in Atlas.  Kind of like she was working her way toward her ultimate work.  In both books, the main female character is an idealized version of herself, so in Atlas she went ahead and framed the story from the perspective of the female character. 
I am the one they call Cesar.

2ndsight

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • De Oppresso Liber
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
She is a member of the C.F.R. and a globalist swine.

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas
Potestas stricte interpretatur In dubiis, non praesumitur pro potentia