Author Topic: number one item to hoard...  (Read 3921 times)

ar15_dude

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Shooter
  • Never give up.
number one item to hoard...
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »
Extrapolating current events, here is the scenario:

Food prices up 10x - milk at $30/gal, bread and eggs at $10, ground beef at $15/lb.
Fuel prices hit $10/gal.
Credit is no longer available.
No one is buying cars or houses.
People lose jobs, 20% unemployment.
Prices of houses, cars, durable goods drop. 
Loan defaults skyrocket.

What is the number one thing you need to hoard now to prepare for the above scenario? 

If you guess guns or ammo you are wrong.  It's CA$H !!!  :o Cash can get you what you need except under the most dire of circumstances (not experienced in this country over the last 100 years).  With cash, you can pay the mortgage and stay in your home.  You can get some of that expensive food and fuel. You can buy stuff (land, cars, guns, ammo) for pennies on the dollar. 

My guess is that SKS board members have enough G&A, maybe even (brace yourself) too much.  If you have lots of G&A and no cash, you are at some risk.  As counterintuitive as this sounds, sell any excess guns now.  But I'd recommend keeping what ammo you have.  Sell anything you don't really need (extra cars, boats, motorcycles).  Hoard cash.  Begin doing it soon.

Gold or silver?  Better than cash? I don't think so.  No one knows its value or how to trade it. Would a bank except it for payment? Would you? How do you know it is real?

Comments? Flames?

"You never have trouble if you are prepared for it." - Theodore Roosevelt

"He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36, The Holy Bible

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
Re: number one item to hoard...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:50:40 AM »
Cash is king right up until you can't buy anything with that cash because no one will want it. Maybe you should exchange for pesos while the exchange rate is favorable.  What good does it do to maybe hoard 100k in bills in a pillow case if it takes 4000 of them to buy a tank of gas next year. 

If the dollar tanks that bad, it will tank all the way.  $10 fuel? What milk eggs and beef are you going to buy? No one can afford to produce it, can't afford to ship it to distant markets if you can get it produced to make a profit.   

Frankly if the whole system collapses, everyone who is directly or indirectly tied to the dollar is going with us, there is going to be a lot of defaulting, foreclosing and forgiving of debt, where any of us at at in that is any ones guess. 
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

e3mrk

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:43:13 AM »
In a collapse Prices for goods would be extremely high.
I think that Ammunition and Guns would be the thing to have so a Person could shoot Their own Food and protect what They have.
The only People that would really have a need for Money would be the Ones that cannot fend for Themselves and had to rely on Others for Food and things They need.

shamrock

• SKS Marksman
  • A Lucky Irishman
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »
Yes, cash is king...unless the dollar becomes so devalued as to become worthless.

If the power grids ever went down, even for a short period of time as in a couple of days, you would want to make sure that you had cash on hand. You can't pay for something with debit card or visa when those e-based systems are out of order. I think it's a good measure to keep a few hundred dollars in both bills and coins hidden somewhere. Just remember not to tell your wife about the stash or she might decide to go shopping!! This will also help you with developing your caching skills, as most women are notorious for their greenback sniffing abilities.
Have you smiled at your dog today?

"Opinions are like a$$hole$. Everybody's got one."

cmw0081

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »
In this type of America you describe Guns and Ammo would speak louder than anything else.

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »
+1 Onepoint

"People lose jobs, 20% unemployment." What jobs???
CASH??? You better have gold/silver
Mortgage??? Come on... I Guess you are not seeing the BIG Picture!!!

GL :violent3:

Cash is king right up until you can't buy anything with that cash because no one will want it. Maybe you should exchange for pesos while the exchange rate is favorable.  What good does it do to maybe hoard 100k in bills in a pillow case if it takes 4000 of them to buy a tank of gas next year. 

If the dollar tanks that bad, it will tank all the way.  $10 fuel? What milk eggs and beef are you going to buy? No one can afford to produce it, can't afford to ship it to distant markets if you can get it produced to make a profit.   

Frankly if the whole system collapses, everyone who is directly or indirectly tied to the dollar is going with us, there is going to be a lot of defaulting, foreclosing and forgiving of debt, where any of us at at in that is any ones guess. 
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson & Gunlover

TheMechanic

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
Extrapolating current events, here is the scenario:

Food prices up 10x - milk at $30/gal, bread and eggs at $10, ground beef at $15/lb.
Fuel prices hit $10/gal.
Credit is no longer available.
No one is buying cars or houses.
People lose jobs, 20% unemployment.
Prices of houses, cars, durable goods drop. 
Loan defaults skyrocket.

What is the number one thing you need to hoard now to prepare for the above scenario? 

If you guess guns or ammo you are wrong.  It's CA$H !!!  :o Cash can get you what you need except under the most dire of circumstances (not experienced in this country over the last 100 years).  With cash, you can pay the mortgage and stay in your home.  You can get some of that expensive food and fuel. You can buy stuff (land, cars, guns, ammo) for pennies on the dollar. 

My guess is that SKS board members have enough G&A, maybe even (brace yourself) too much.  If you have lots of G&A and no cash, you are at some risk.  As counterintuitive as this sounds, sell any excess guns now.  But I'd recommend keeping what ammo you have.  Sell anything you don't really need (extra cars, boats, motorcycles).  Hoard cash.  Begin doing it soon.

Gold or silver?  Better than cash? I don't think so.  No one knows its value or how to trade it. Would a bank except it for payment? Would you? How do you know it is real?

Comments? Flames?

Wrong....

Take your dollars (USD index 72.25 down 0.64 today) that have lost value and will continue to loose value and buy metal. Gold is $935 up 2% today so far. Buy gold today at $933 and there is a good chance you will be able to sell it in July for $1,200. That may be the result of the dollar going down or demand for gold going up...

Spinich

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
If the US dollar crashes, it will be worth nothing to no one. I remember reading articles about people in Russia that were burning their paper money for warmth because it no longer held any value other than for kindling. As others have stated, in a short term SHTF scenario, cash would be great as you cannot access your money via ATM and all the computers/cash registers will not function. I experienced this first-hand in Seattle when we lost power due to a snow storm. The gas stations were still open, but would only accept cash. Gold/Silver/Precious Stones are universal around the world and going back in history, have always held value.

In a true long term SHTF, once the stores are empty and there is no open commerce, bartering will more than likely be the only way for you to get the goods you need. What is the best of the goods to have on hand? Depends on who you are trading with. If all you have is ammo and the guy with the medicine doesn't own a gun or a different caliber, it won't do him much good. What you want to horde is something that everybody wants/needs. Needs: Food (or the means to get food - bullets/seeds/produce), medicine, vitamins, water, fuel, etc. Wants: Cigarettes, booze, a power source such as a generator or batteries, etc.
"The People" in the 1st, 4th, 9th, and 10th Amendments means the people, but "The People" in the 2nd Amendment means the National Guard.

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:00:09 PM »
Speaking of metal prices, in a funny side note, I am helping to tear out at least 100 tons of copper wires from an old industrial complex.  :shock:

Too bad I am honest and the situation is well guarded. :(
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

jeffy_ssd

• SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:07:22 PM »
If you are looking for horde items to barter or trade with I will go with the sins-- alchohol, cigarettes and anyother manner of item like that.  I have neighbors that would trade me their wives and anything else not nailed down for a carton of smokes and a 6 pack of Bud if they became unavailable ina SHTF situation.  As far as guns and ammo, I will horde that for myself but would never trade them for anything as that would be putting a weapon into the hands of a desparate person.

FMJ

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 08:00:45 AM »
Done said it before, will say it again, if you feel the need to horde, let it be alcohol and tobacco for barter purposes. Remember also that your own personal cache of guns and ammo can buy you both health and happiness.

For the record, I totally disagree that paper money will become useless simply because it can be used to wipe the arse after a squat by the ole oak tree.

Yes my friends, the dollar will still be very strong, wipe with it then wash it out in the bayou and hang it out to dry for tomorrow, because tomorrow will come, if you prepared for it--(:-)--
Keen like a coyote, and sly like the fox, will sit here and listen, in my drawers and my socks.

packnrat

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 03:24:51 AM »

good thing i know of a cave up in the hills very hard to find and get into. i have a couple cases of things stored up there.

it is my reserve bank account.

ohioarmedneutrality

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
I don't know if there is a "No. 1" item that should be hoarded. Seems to me that a person would want a variety of tradeable items, in other words, don't rely on only one form of currency in a SHTF situation.

Gold, silver, even some base metals will hold their value. Silly as it sounds, I've been hoarding all nickels and pre-1982 pennies for their nickel and copper content. Nickels are 75% copper, 25% nickel; pre-1982 pennies are 95% copper. The zinc pennies go back to the bank. (Yeah, I'm one of those guys that stoops over to pick up small change on the sidewalk.)

Sure, cash is good, unless there is a hyperinflation (Google "Germany, 1923"). Since the U.S. govt took us off the gold standard and removed silver from circulation, Federal Reserve notes are only worth what we believe they are worth. If people get to the point where they believe the paper money is worthless, then they will become worthless. Sort of like today's federal government itself.

Non-perishable food items for personal survival or trade. If forced to choose a "No. 1" item to hoard, food would probably be my choice. And don't discount the importance of clean water for consumption and bathing.

Of course, echoing the sentiments of practically everyone here, I believe plenty of firearms and ammunition are important.

I just bought a crank-operated lantern marked down in price for $15. That joins my crank/battery operated radio that I paid, IIRC, $40 for a few years ago. Common batteries, like AA, D  or C could be in short supply after a few weeks/months of SHTF, so these human-powered items might come in really handy. If I had more money, I'd buy more of these gadgets for family/friends.

Anyhow, these are my thoughts.

CRashster

• SKS Expert
  • My favorite color is camo.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 11:26:14 PM »
I'm thinking about hoarding some AA batteries. Most everything I have runs on them and the shelf life is pretty good. Would see me through the first few months and hopefully "over the hump". Most of my SHTF plans are short term. I think if it does happen, things will be very intense for the first few months and hopefully, things will begin to right themselves.

CRash

Centuryhouse

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »

If you guess guns or ammo you are wrong.  It's CA$H !!! 

Cash in US dollars is currently one of the worst investments you could make. The real savings is in buying quantity of things that are going up in price and that you need & buy with cash.