Author Topic: best scope mount for sks  (Read 6592 times)

ddhotbot

• SKS Newbie
best scope mount for sks
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:12:35 PM »
ok guys im a newbie here so take it easy on me if this has been asked 1000 times lol. what is the best system or mount going for the sks? thanks don

Azradok

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
best scope mount for sks
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »
Welcome to Survivors SKS Boards!!!

It depends on the type of SKS.  What'cha got?

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
best scope mount for sks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 02:54:40 PM »
Hi, ddhotbot, and WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Yup, depends on what you want to do with it.  About the only consistently stable mount will be to drill and tap but the scout mount has been getting better and better reviews.

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

spystyle

• SKS Newbie
best scope mount for sks
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 11:19:35 PM »
See the articles on the right side of this page:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

He recommends both a D&T and a scout type.

Dig it?
Craig

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
best scope mount for sks
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 11:31:17 PM »
Quote from: spystyle
See the articles ont he right side of this page:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

He recommends both a D&T and a scout type.

Dig it?
Craig

Fixed it.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/

coyote killer

• SKS Gunsmith
best scope mount for sks
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 11:51:38 PM »
I've been checking into this for my nephew and he's going with the Choate....Its a D&T and it allows disassembly of the rifle w/out removing the scope.  But theres no shell deflector for it so u have to run a compact scope.

DC has an excellent scope mount that I use and it has a deflector and I run a full sized scope.  Its a receiver cover type mount.  The only drawback is they wanted $135 for it when I called them last week.  I got mine for $85 shipped a few years ago.
"He who prays will be saved,
He who does not pray will be damned."

~St. Alphonsus Ligouri

TAKE A NON-SHOOTER SHOOTING

Ironballs

best scope mount for sks
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
i just put a scoutscopes.com onto my chicom- easy to install- there is an elevation adj. that looks like i need to take some elevation out of it... but will wait till i get to the range later this week...

i tried a burris scoutscope on it at first,... but since i have the 10rd internal, i found the ss would get in the way of stripper loading...  so i pulled that scope and just but on a cheap red dot i had laying around....

mount looks sturdy and well made...

cant say more until i put her through her paces...

UR

• SKS Guru
  • Poster Formerly Known as "Underrealm"
best scope mount for sks
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »
I've got some parts on order, and I'll soon be taking this route.
"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

Garand1957

best scope mount for sks
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 08:42:20 PM »
The one good thing in this set up is it will most likely be rock solid. The big down side is the scope is mounted to high and will leave you with a chin weld on the stock not a cheek weld. There are other add on mods you can do to compinsate for it but in the end it will allways feel like a "patched together" set up.

KusoJijii

best scope mount for sks
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 02:23:37 PM »
Quote from: underrealm

"The rangefinder works by placing the 1.7m (5'8") target tightly between the horizontal and the top reclining lines."

who are you after?!?!

engineer2001

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: best scope mount for sks
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
Quote from: ddhotbot
what is the best system or mount going for the sks? thanks don

I have tried a B-square scout mount that attaches to the gas tube (you have to have a pistol or extended eye relief scope) and now the Leapers Hi-Pro mount.  I really like the Leapers Hi-Pro once I replaced the horrible screws and lock nuts with some 5mmx10mm cap socket (allen wrench-type) screws from Home Depot.  Being 10mm long, they are about 1mm too long for my rifle, so I added another lock washer to it, and all is fine!  The cap socket screws (in the specialty fastener pull-out drawers) only cost 40 cents for 2, and you only need 4.  You can replace those nasty set screws and lock nuts with the Hi-Pro mount with anything that is a 5mm bolt/screw with 0.5mm (fine) threads.  People complain that the screws leave marks on the receiver sides, but they are really small and can easily be touched up with a little cold blue if desired if you take the mount off.  Those cap screw can be seen in my pic here, and in the bag here.  Sorry for the blurry images - my camera is old and can't zoom worth a toot.

The B-square mount I have is the one that is shown with some kind of laser/light on it mounted on the gas tube of the SKS in the link underrealm posted above, by the way.  I liked it, but I got tired of the long relief forcing me to use pistol scopes, so I picked the Hi-Pro up from Tapco, bought a Leapers 6x compact scope for it from Cheaper Than Dirt, and have never looked back!  I've yet to get time (when it isn't freezing cold outside) to fully sight in my scope, but I have had it off at least 4 times, and it seems to return to the same zero every time I put it back on.

Both of the mounts I have tried allow me to still use the iron sights.  I refuse to use anything that won't let me keep the iron sights for backup, since I know they are set dead-on.
engineer2001
I pity da foo.

MR2.0

• SKS Marksman
best scope mount for sks
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 05:29:19 AM »
I made my own deflector and use whatever scope.  Here are the pix of what it looks like:
http://www.sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7121