Author Topic: Norinco .223 Magazine Question  (Read 4067 times)

jackj

• SKS Shooter
Norinco .223 Magazine Question
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:44:45 AM »
Was considering buying a .224 Norinco 84-S.  I need a source to purchase magazines. Are there a variety of different manufacturers available?

If so, which is considered the best buy?  I also was wondering if there was any way to convert the AK-74 magazines to work.

sksmike

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru

jackj

• SKS Shooter
Re: Norinco .223 Magazine Question
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Two additional questions. I understand that the E. German bakelite mags could be modified.  Any idea if anyone is currently selling them?

Also, Century Arms has 2 mags for .223 AK's on their webite.  One is for the WASR 3.  The other is for a steel German 30 rd.  Anyone know if either of these will fit a Norinco .223?

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »
Thanks for the response.  Two additional questions. I understand that the E. German bakelite mags could be modified.  Any idea if anyone is currently selling them?

Also, Century Arms has 2 mags for .223 AK's on their webite.  One is for the WASR 3.  The other is for a steel German 30 rd.  Anyone know if either of these will fit a Norinco .223?

The WASR # mag *is* a modified E.G. bakelite -that is what the guns were sold with. It will work in a Norinco 84S -I've made up half a dozen I use in mine.

The german steel mag is a E.G "Wieger" mag. while a great mag -it will NOT work in your norinco becasue it won't fit the mag well. the front of a norinco 84S mag well is "stepped" down in width at the front -the wieger is too wide to go in as a result. Th mag well front could be widened and thne these mags used -I would not recommend doing that unless you come up with a number of the Weigers to justify doing so.

I'd look to getting the original chinese mags -you see them around reasonably at times. and/or use modified E.G bakelites.

FWIW, I think the bakelites work better than the factory mags.

There is a Bulgarian .223 AK mag to be had that works okay. Good mags, but often a bit tight for use, requiring a little tweeking.

LG :walk:

P.S -I've posted it often, but basically: The E.G bakelite mod involves dremeling the "stop" ledge INSIDE of the mag body to allow the follower to rise just short of 1/4" higher. Then, the "down angle" of the front of the follower needs to be straightened -metal ones bended, plastic softened via heat. Sometimes the TOP of the feed lips need to be flattened a little till the mag locks in place. That's it.

jackj

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the info Lollygagger.  Oddly enough, the only WASR-3 mags I've found have been steel, including the ones for sale at Century.  Does that mean that the steel WASR3 mags will work in my Norinco 84S?

Are you also saying the Bu8lgarian poly mags will work OK?

Thanks for the help!

Tangara

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »
I have a Norinco NHM-90 in .223 that came with two 5 round magazines.  I was lucky enough to find 4 Norinco 30 round magazine at a gun show plus another norinco 5 round mag.  Also at the same gun show ran into a fellow who said he had several East German bakelites but did not bring with him, but would bring the next day.  The next day he had a whole stack of AK magazines here is what I got, 1 - 7.62x39 Norinco bakelite, 1 Norinco 5 round steel in 7.62x39, 3 east block ? 7.62x39 30 rounders, 2 East German bakelites, and 2 German Wieger mags.  Also got a Russian Izzy purple AK74 mag at same show.  The Norinco .223 mags work flawless.  The E.G. bakelite and Russian Izzy had to modify a bit to fit but have shot all three and they work but you cannot load all 30 rounds.  The Wieger Mags do not fit.  I also purchased two Polish black plastic mag's and one fits with not modification and the other will not lock in?

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the info Lollygagger.  Oddly enough, the only WASR-3 mags I've found have been steel, including the ones for sale at Century.  Does that mean that the steel WASR3 mags will work in my Norinco 84S?

Are you also saying the Bu8lgarian poly mags will work OK?

Thanks for the help!

I'm sure the "WASR-3" mags, if metal, are the E.G "Wieger" mags -they won't fit in the norinco mag well w/o opening up the front of the well.

The Bulgie .223 mags are nice -but often tight, requiring a little work.

The Bulgie 5.45 mags would require the same mod as the E.G AK-74 mags.

LG :walk: