Author Topic: Nydar shotgun sight.circa 1947  (Read 7540 times)

Jagman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
Nydar shotgun sight.circa 1947
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:56:24 PM »
Vintage Nydar blued shotgun sight c.1947. Came with original lens protector, mount, carry case, and adjustment/instructions manual.
These sights are light activated, you get a large outer ring and inner dot that is projected onto the front reflective glass simply by being outside in the existing ambient light. Even on a heavy overcast day, this sight works perfectly!! This is the Model 47 and it is stamped "patent applied for". It was made by the Swain Nelson Company of Glenview, Illinois.

The basis for this sight was taken directly from World War ll. Allied aircraft had similar sights, but using the exact same principal, and shot down many axis war planes using their modified Nydar Sights. The inner dot represents 12" inches at 50 yards, while the outer ring is positioned so that the ring itself is always 24" inches from the inner dot. This makes the Nydar Gun Sight the PERFECT "scatter gun" hunting sight. In fact, as the original brochure explains, all pellets fired at a range of 25 yards was within the outer ring of the Nydar Gun Sight.

The offset sight was just me with the camera, I could not see the rings through the camera lens so I just kept on clicking untill I got a sight picture.
There are adjustments for windage and elevation, the sight is mounted on a base plate and that is able to be manipulated for front to rear and side to side movement, once it is set you lock it down.After that you can remove the sight lens - it is zero'd.
It has to be the Daddy of the red-dot sight, the only difference I can think of is that it does not work in the dark.
If you illuminated the piece (provide light) it would work.
Jagman.

Tazman 442

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: Nydar shotgun sight.circa 1947
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:38:54 AM »
Thats slick, 1947 ? Thats probably a collecters item.

badfish314

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing, the sight looks very beefy and really well made.

subwofer2

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »
Those sights must have seemed a little sci-fi at the time.  I've seen the sights in P-51's but never thought dreamed a version was adapted for light weapons.  Rates about a 9.5 on my cool "stuff" o-meter.

Thanks!

dklistul

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:44:11 PM »
New member here, found this forum while doing a search for this sight.

This afternoon, I bought a 1930 Remington Model 11 shotgun with this sight on it.  It's pretty darn cool but I don't know anything about it yet.  Looks like they originally had a box, a cover, maybe different prisms?  I don't know.  Mine is just mounted to the gun with nothing extra but I still can't wait to try it out.

pugetview

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
I have 1 of these and a part of the 2nd (shotgun with mounting plate was stolen) that my dad had on 2 Browning 12 guage semis. I do not have instructions and can't figure how to adjust side to side. Anyone know this?

I learned to shot shotguns with this and now, 50 years later, am learning to shoot a  shotgun the "real" way :lol: