Author Topic: AK mags in an SKS (mod)?  (Read 8927 times)

noyb72

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: AK mags in an SKS (mod)?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »
I don't know that it is oversimplified. It could cerainatly provide better measurements (I don't like milling to "about" dimensions,) but anyone who is competent with an end mill and can mig reasonably clean should be able to make that work.

Ron
"In all the years I've sat on this bench...I heard lots of things that give me grave doubts about the human race. This ain't one of them". Judge, All the pretty horses.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
I've always been a little skeptical of those drawings- looks like some sketches based on existing detachable mag AKs

Seems like there'd be at least one photo if he'd actually done a conversion

The tool list specifically says all that's needed is a dremel and some files  :lol:

Not saying it would be that big of a job for a skilled machinist with a mill, but it seems the time they spent would be much more valuable than the price difference between a regular SKS and an "M"
If you don't know, shut yer hole

DLL1488

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »
I actually seen a SKS which had been converted to take AK magazines at a gun show.  No it was not an "M" oR A "D".  Just a regular Chinese.  The back metal clip that clips the mag in looked like an AK one but with noticable weld on it(very sloppy)  The guy selling it had a $375.00 price tag on it.  It looked like a very unprofessional.  I would just spend the money on an M or a D or maybe even another ak.

noyb72

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 07:07:22 PM »
I agree that it isn't worth the labor reate to haver someone do it. But a hobbiest with the machinery and skills should enjoy the project. Most people can find someone that fits that description that will do the work for 6 cold bottles of water, barley and hops.

Ron
"In all the years I've sat on this bench...I heard lots of things that give me grave doubts about the human race. This ain't one of them". Judge, All the pretty horses.

grouster

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 10:48:13 PM »
AMEN

Many a moon ago, I did this to two $69.00 SKSs (remember those days  :cry: ), one for myself and another for a friend. I received that very same payment for the work I did to his lol..   With a mill and welder handy, it's only about a 4 to 5 on the butt pucker factor, but without a mill, wow make it an 8 (I did a receiver & bolt tonight just to see how bad it would be lol)...
grouster

expatriotex

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
Hi, this is my first post, hopefully i'm allowed to post pictures. I found this pics online, i hope the owner doesn't mind. I'll let everyone else be the judge of the difficulty of this conversion, and its reversal.

expatriotex

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:07 AM »

I got these pics from an archived thread on another forum. Discuss.

ArcadeImp

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »
Wow, that would look great in a folding stock. I like what they did to the gas tube.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

--Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 12:55:39 PM »
If it's the same rifle from another forum from a couple years back I believe he said he had spent close to 400 bucks at the gunsmith

Not saying it doesn't look nice- just not the most practical or economic way to do it

Maybe would have done something different with the mag latch personally

JiffyLube

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
Wow, that would look great in a folding stock. I like what they did to the gas tube.

The handguard is readily available for $10 - $15.
"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."  George W. Bush

ArcadeImp

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
Oh, thought that was custom  :oops:
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

--Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787.

expatriotex

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
If it's the same rifle from another forum from a couple years back I believe he said he had spent close to 400 bucks at the gunsmith

Not saying it doesn't look nice- just not the most practical or economic way to do it

Yep, same person. $400 seems pretty outrageous for something that looks like it could be done with a dremel in 2 hours. Granted the 400 included a full park job too. I think something the same shape as the ak mag catch, pivoting on the pin at the front with the sks mag catch spring pushing on it might work. Just bend your own "butterfly" out of some sheet metal and harden it with a torch. I mean, people are building custom ak-47 chambered in tokarev, and have you seen the ak/mg43's? SO why is it that when the topic of putting real ak mags into an sks comes up, the consensous is that it impossible or too hard? I wouldn't do it to a prisine sks, but i have 5 gunsmith specials, that have no numbers matching, that shoot just fine and would make perfect candidates. It would be the poor man's m-14.

dmac27

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Tiger Stripe para
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »

Yep, same person. $400 seems pretty outrageous for something that looks like it could be done with a dremel in 2 hours. Granted the 400 included a full park job too. I think something the same shape as the ak mag catch, pivoting on the pin at the front with the sks mag catch spring pushing on it might work. Just bend your own "butterfly" out of some sheet metal and harden it with a torch. I mean, people are building custom ak-47 chambered in tokarev, and have you seen the ak/mg43's? SO why is it that when the topic of putting real ak mags into an sks comes up, the consensous is that it impossible or too hard? I wouldn't do it to a prisine sks, but i have 5 gunsmith specials, that have no numbers matching, that shoot just fine and would make perfect candidates. It would be the poor man's m-14.

I think most of the folks on here that are discouraging it is because it is out of the scope of "most" gunowners.   It is always thought of as something easy to do and for a machinist it probably is but the average guy isn't going to get the results that guy did.   And for the extra $400.00 + the cost of an SKS you can buy one hell of an AK 47.   I do like the parkerized finish on that rifle though.
Fear is not in the roar of a charging lion...but rather a click when you expect a bang !!!

Peter Capstick Hathaway

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »

I mean, people are building custom ak-47 chambered in tokarev, and have you seen the ak/mg43's? SO why is it that when the topic of putting real ak mags into an sks comes up, the consensous is that it impossible or too hard?

I don't think anyone's saying it's impossible, or too hard- just that the end result doesn't justify the expense or skill and time required to do it right

The general idea and finished product appear simple.   :lol:

grouster

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2008, 03:52:36 AM »
The mag latch is done that way to keep from having to move the trigger group pin back .125 .    If you want the AK type latch, it's much more difficult 8) .....   I personally think they went a little deep on the guide rails with their milling, but nice job none the less.
grouster