Author Topic: Mak 90 before and after  (Read 5483 times)

Milsurps 4 Me

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Mak 90 before and after
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »
I bought this for $350, drum magazine and all but could not stand the thumbhole stock.

Its a Polytech so I chose a Polytech original butt stock and am looking for a wooden grip thats not outrageously priced. For now I settled on a bakelite.

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
Re: Mak 90 before and after
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »
Wow, looks really nice in both stocks in my opinion!  Good work.
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.  - Ghandi

Tazman 442

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »
That looks like a Chinese drum on there . Hell of a deal for $350.

trophyhunter

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »
Sweet deal with the drum!

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Nice looking rifle.  New stock looks good and matches front furniture. :lol:

Milsurps 4 Me

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:44:57 PM »
The butt stock was really blonde at first but a little red stain and some amber shellac matched it almost perfect.

It is indeed a Chinese drum, still in the grease. 8)

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:19:32 AM »
Great transformation so far! 

Just a thought considering your grip issue and simply my $.02 without taking anything away from your awesome transformation.  I think I'd change things up a bit and make it a little unique from the usual, average MAK-90 to Polytech/Norinco de-ban metamorphosis.  You're almost there for a great Type 56 military rifle clone.  The bayonet mounting assembly that's part of your front sight block on your particular style rifle was unfortunately neutered back in the day to allow the rifles to be imported.  However, your front sight base is still primed for the addition of a "clamp on" style underfolding bayonet that looks almost exactly the same which can be found easily - as in the photo below:

And you don't even have to worry about any barrel threading for a muzzle break/flash hider as many Chinese military Type 56 rifles didn't have threaded barrels.

Additionally, a reddish Chinese plastic grip added would give the rifle a unique, military look.  I preparing to do one in the near future to represent similar ones I found in Iraq as in the photos below.  Also, the military ones I found were made in Factory 386 ("386" in the oval) which I presume your Polytech is marked with:

Again, just $.02 and food for thought.  You've got a wonderful looking MAK-90 transformation there and well done!

DLL1488

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
$350!  The last one I seen was over $500.00!  Plus the drum.  Thats probably one of the best deals Ive seen in awhile.  Looks nice both ways.

ALSO: Where do you find those folding spike bayonets for the AK??

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
Awesome job, IMO she looks a lot better with the pistol grip!

-spike
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Milsurps 4 Me

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »
Great transformation so far! 

Just a thought considering your grip issue and simply my $.02 without taking anything away from your awesome transformation.  I think I'd change things up a bit and make it a little unique from the usual, average MAK-90 to Polytech/Norinco de-ban metamorphosis.  You're almost there for a great Type 56 military rifle clone.  The bayonet mounting assembly that's part of your front sight block on your particular style rifle was unfortunately neutered back in the day to allow the rifles to be imported.  However, your front sight base is still primed for the addition of a "clamp on" style underfolding bayonet that looks almost exactly the same which can be found easily - as in the photo below:

And you don't even have to worry about any barrel threading for a muzzle break/flash hider as many Chinese military Type 56 rifles didn't have threaded barrels.

Additionally, a reddish Chinese plastic grip added would give the rifle a unique, military look.  I preparing to do one in the near future to represent similar ones I found in Iraq as in the photos below.  Also, the military ones I found were made in Factory 386 ("386" in the oval) which I presume your Polytech is marked with:

Again, just $.02 and food for thought.  You've got a wonderful looking MAK-90 transformation there and well done!

Definitely sounds like something I'd like to look into project wise to build it up some more.

Please PM me any links with suppliers/distributors.

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:57:59 AM »
I apologize - as I look at your front sight base, it's not the underfolding bayonet style I originally glanced at.  But a clamp-on underfolding bayonet would definately still work on it. 

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
Omega sells the clamp-on bayo's for the AK for like $50 plus shipping.  They do require a threaded muzzle with a nut and the lower foregrip should be inletted for a bayo vs smooth.  An original underfolder front sight base/with underfolder bayo runs in the $200 range so the clamp-on is a pretty good deal..
Here is a link to the bayo.

http://www.ak47bayonets.com/Article_Detail.php?g=content1151872204#maadi

Original FSB with bayo assembly.  Lockup similar to 59/66 Yugo SKS bayo assembly.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:10:47 PM by AKBLUE »

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »
That article was written some time ago.  I believe Don sells them for $75 now. 

chainsaw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • May the Shwartz be with you
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 08:22:39 PM »
Why didn't you like the thumbhole stock?
Build a man a fire,he'll stay warm for a night.Set a man on fire,he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Milsurps 4 Me

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
Why didn't you like the thumbhole stock?

It just didn't feel and shoot like an AK should.