Author Topic: Henry .22 lever model H001  (Read 2198 times)

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
Henry .22 lever model H001
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »
I've pretty much decided that I have to have a .22 so I can go plinking without it costing a fortune and because there is a local range that is set up for rimfire and airguns only.  And I don't have a single lever action in the house and that is, clearly, disgraceful.  So, the Henry .22 lever action H001 is 100% US made, it has a Walnut stock which pleases this wood nut immensely.  I'll probably go out tomorrow and try to negotiate with a local shop that kirock7 has recommended.  Going price seems to be from $250 to $270 for a NIB rifle. 

Any quick comments on this particular rifle?  I'm not interested in Marlin, Remington, et. al. and have decided on Henry unless this particular rifle design is a lemon.

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Henry .22 lever model H001
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
It's been about a year, but I shot one. As best as I remember, it's a good, solid rifle with decent iron sights and a pretty nice trigger. Plenty accurate for the caliber too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:48:39 AM by Michigander »
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:57:31 AM »
All I know is I want a octagon barreled one. :)
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

thespork

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 07:44:15 AM »
its cool that you can fire 22 longs, and 22 shorts in it as well. I've always wanted to get a 22 non-semi just for that.

j20owner

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Thread Killer
    • http://www.xaclan.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
Not sure what a model h001 is, but my dad bought a youth model Henry .22 lever gun and it's a joy to shoot.  Very compact and handy to have around, great shooter.  My six year old has no problem with it.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
Well, sometimes you just get lucky.  Went over to Fountain Firearms (THANKS Kirock7!!) and they didn't have any in stock.  They would have ordered it for me but then they mentioned that they had a used one in the back that "might be on customer hold."  Turns out it was on hold for the sales guy I was working with and he told me that he was going to buy it but if I wanted it he would let it go.  So I got an almost brand new rifle with one scuffed area for $100 less out the door than it would have cost for a new one, $200 rather than $300.

So now I have a .22 plinker AND a lever action.  I can now show my face in public again.

kirock7

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • We've got you covered!
    • VideoBlanket.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »
Well, sometimes you just get lucky.  Went over to Fountain Firearms (THANKS Kirock7!!) and they didn't have any in stock.  They would have ordered it for me but then they mentioned that they had a used one in the back that "might be on customer hold."  Turns out it was on hold for the sales guy I was working with and he told me that he was going to buy it but if I wanted it he would let it go.  So I got an almost brand new rifle with one scuffed area for $100 less out the door than it would have cost for a new one, $200 rather than $300.

So now I have a .22 plinker AND a lever action.  I can now show my face in public again.

My pleasure... glad it paid off for ya! That sure is a purdy gun! I guess we'll have to call you Lucas McCain from now on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRZ88WMWQQ). It's the return of the Rifleman!  :lol:

Old Lady: "You've done something with that trigger haven't ya?"
Lucas: "That's right. Fires automatically every time you cock the lever"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:33:23 PM by kirock7 »
"You need to hold your mud, son. It's time to hunker down and get back in the fight!"

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »
I think The Rifleman was my second favorite series after Gunsmoke.  Today, of course, those INSANELY VIOLENT shows just aren't permitted on family TV.   :lol: :lol:

The trigger setup is interesting.  It looks like you couldn't close the lever without firing it so how do you close the lever safely except on an empty chamber??

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »
They make a real nice fancy model too (Goldenboy model H004)..I think they sell them at Dick's Sporting goods.   8)

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:31:57 PM »
Yea, I think the Golden Boy rifles are really beautiful but I just needed a plinker. 

thespork

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
Youll have to get a box of 22 shorts, I think you can stuff like 20 of em in the tube, you'll have a cowboy assault rifle! Of course with a 22 short, you ain't gonna be assaulting much..

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
I might just for fun but it doesn't hold that many more shorts than long rifles.  16 rds(Long Rifle); 17 rds(Long); 21 rds(22 Short)  What's five rounds among friends???   :lol: :lol:

kirock7

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • We've got you covered!
    • VideoBlanket.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 09:23:09 PM »
Don't try this at home...

"You need to hold your mud, son. It's time to hunker down and get back in the fight!"

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »
I saw a test of both the standard Henry and the Golden Boy version.  The standard version sights lined up better and had better ergonomics.  So you did very well. 
Originally the basic design was made by Erma in W. Germany.  They marketed them thru Ithaca.  They seem to be pretty good rifles and a bit more interesting to me than the usual semis or cheaper bolt 22s.
Truth is the new hate language

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 02:31:58 AM »
The best part is using that insanely quiet sub sonic ammo. You won't believe how quiet it is. Bows and BB guns make more noise. :)
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson