Author Topic: how to change the stock on a 870 ?  (Read 3034 times)

maddog

how to change the stock on a 870 ?
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »
Hi every one!!  This is my first time in a gun room :D .  I have a question.  I just got a  new Remington 870 and the back checkering is painted black on one, and the for-end has a big dent in it.  Reming will send me new ones.  They said to replace the old ones and send them back.  Any advice on how to change them? thanx MD

azhunter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Wore out his Red Dawn DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:32:53 PM »
First off welcome to the boards! Pull up a chair, and join in the fun (madness?)  :lol:

First make sure the gun is unloaded. We don't want to loose a new member so soon! To change the butt stock, you will need to remove the two screws on the recoil pad (rubber thing) then take an ultra long standard screw driver to unscrew the long bolt that holds the buttstock on the receiver. As for the foreend, the only way I know how to remove it, is to remove the entire slide. :( This may be a little more than you wanted to do, but it will help you out later on. First, unscrew the magazine endcap, and remove the barrel. Look at the receiver on your gun, and you will see two pins above the trigger area. Punch these out all the way, and the trigger group will pull out. Now pull the slide back, and push it back foward with a little force (pretend you are jacking a shell in it. Three things will happen, the bolt is going to fall out, the bolt carrier is going to fall out, and the slide is going to come off. Put the other parts to the side, and focus on the slide. You will notice on one side it has two long arms. Leave that side alone, and look at the other side! :lol:  The large ring in there will have two notches cut out in it. That is what you want to unscrew in order to get that piece of the stock off. Once the new one is on, screw the ring back on, and we will start putting this thing back together.

Put the slide back on the magizine tube, and wait. Now I'm going to give you a little puzzle! If you pick up the bolt carrier, and look at it you will see it has some notches cut out. Let's see if we can figure out how it seats onto the slide. The "stair step" side should face up, and the highest step should be towards the front of the shotgun. Now, pick up the bolt, and place it, with the face of it, towards the front of the rife. Leave these parts on the slide, and we will put it all back.  Line up the arms of the slide, with their holes in the receiver. They don't fit do they?  :lol: Reach inside the receiver and push the little metal arm that is on the right side in, and pull the slide in  A LITTLE WAYS!!!! Now with a little preasure on the slide still, push the other metal arm on the other side of the inside of the receiver. The slide will now slide all the way in. Now, put the trigger group back into it's spot. It may need a little tap from the palm of your hand to make it seat right. Grab the two pins that we removed earlier, and put them back in place. NOTE: One pin is smaller than the other one, make sure they go into the right spot. Lightly tap them, and they will seat, and lock back into place. With the slide about 1/2 way open, put the barrel back on, and screw the magazine end cap on tight.

You're Done!
I tried to change my password to penis.... but the system said it wasn't long enough.

connolpm

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 10:22:14 AM »
On my 870 you don't have to remove the the trigger group to remove the bolt and slide. You just reach up through the slot for the carrier arm, and push sequentially (left then right if I remember correctly) on two levers (one on each side of the frame) to release the arms for the slide. Check your manual for more detail.

-Patrick

p.s. Welcome!
Quote from: VXBinaca
And yes my wisedom is infinate :lol:

azhunter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:17:46 PM »
You're right, you do NOT have to remove the trigger group, but it is nice to know how to do it, and it also gets that flap of metal out of the way while you are working on it. For the first timer that might not know where those are, it will make a world of difference.  :wink:
I tried to change my password to penis.... but the system said it wasn't long enough.

maddog

thanx!!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:41:28 PM »
Thank you for the information  :D .  I will install the new ones as soon as they come in.

azhunter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »
It sounds hard, but it's not. It's not as easy as the Mossy but it's still easy, and I don't see you having too much trouble with it. But if you do, just ask us here, and we will get you through it. :wink:

BadShot

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 09:07:17 PM »
Quote from: azhunter
It sounds hard, but it's not. It's not as easy as the Mossy but it's still easy, and I don't see you having too much trouble with it. But if you do, just ask us here, and we will get you through it. :wink:

It's hard with mine.

The nut on the end of the forend tube that I have to remove is stuck.  What do I need to get it off?  It is stuck, stuck, stuck!  WD40 didn't help it.  It may be stripped.  Everything else on the gun is really tight, whoever owned it before me really liked to tighten things down hard.  I'm considering buying a new forend tube and just leaving the one in the walnut forend alone.
My opinions are worth less than you paid for them.

azhunter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 10:08:08 PM »
It may be overtightened, or it may just have a lot of crud in there. What I do with my 870 is to take a claw hammer and use the claws to engage the notches in the nut. This gives it the same preasure on both sides, and also gives you a longer handle to get leverage turning. Like I said above, with the Mossys you can use just about anything to get at the nut since it sits high, but Remington has to try and hide these things. :lol: I think that may your best bet right now if everything else has failed, if that doesn't work, then you might have to buy another one. Good luck!

BadShot

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 02:15:26 AM »
Quote from: azhunter
What I do with my 870 is to take a claw hammer and use the claws to engage the notches in the nut. This gives it the same preasure on both sides, and also gives you a longer handle to get leverage turning.

I'll give it a try!  Thanks!
My opinions are worth less than you paid for them.