Author Topic: mosin nagant barreled receiver  (Read 1562 times)

ZackG

• SKS Sniper
mosin nagant barreled receiver
« on: September 28, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »
I have a m38 that the barrel is pretty well rusted.  I see centerfire has 91/30 barreled receivers cut down to carbine length for $64 shipped.  Any body have any thoughts on this?
Yes, I'm a gun toting Democrat.  Get over it.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
Re: mosin nagant barreled receiver
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
Should be able to get a complete Mosin for that kind of money, either save the M38 as a collectable or sell it.  Worth more complete than for parts to put another together.  I recently bought a "good" condition M44 from Century for 64.87.

Centerfire used to sell those barreled receivers 5 for thirty bucks or 14.95 each for Remington or NEW produced cut M91s (this was only a couple years ago)
If you don't know, shut yer hole

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »
I'd agree, sometime down the road... not to far infact, that barreled reciever will be worth some cash as long as its still together.
"I'm just here for the gasoline." Mad Max played by Mel Gibson

ZackG

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
Should be able to get a complete Mosin for that kind of money, either save the M38 as a collectable or sell it.  Worth more complete than for parts to put another together.  I recently bought a "good" condition M44 from Century for 64.87.

Centerfire used to sell those barreled receivers 5 for thirty bucks or 14.95 each for Remington or NEW produced cut M91s (this was only a couple years ago)

I already have a 91/30 and a 91/30 sniper and the rusted m38.  The m38 I have is virtually useless so that was my plan.  BUT a m44 would be nice to have.  Actually, I think i may go to the range and shoot about 20 rounds through it as fast as i can then use a .30cal bore brush to see if i can get it clean. 

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »
How badly does it shoot?

ZackG

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »
How badly does it shoot?

I haven't shot it since it rusted to be honest.

And I'm looking on various sites and the best I can see a m38 or m44 is $100 not shipped.  Ok scratch that, $80 from centerfire.

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:03:53 AM »
I have a m38 that the barrel is pretty well rusted.  I see centerfire has 91/30 barreled receivers cut down to carbine length for $64 shipped.  Any body have any thoughts on this?

The ones centerfire have are not C&R.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

ZackG

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:09:01 AM »
Oh. well that put a stop to this idea. I don't know why its not C&R eligible.

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »
Well if they are modified they dont count as C&R anymore... If they are refinished they might not as well, im not 100% sure on that.

Kinda surprised me they allow them fake 91/30s to be sold C&R... Rip off.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 01:46:44 PM »
Generally a barrelled receiver is no longer considered in "original configuration" regardless of modification and so loses its C&R status.  It's also argued that it has lost it's collectable value.

Whether or not this has been clearly defined, most dealers choose to avoid the issue and require an 01 for any receivers or barreled receivers.  Centerfire may have had an issue in the past when it was selling these, or just saw what other distributors policies were and then decided to avoid the issue.

Century has been selling Yugo 59/66 barreled receivers for quite some time now, but never as C&R

ZackG

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:50:01 PM »
ah i got it.  BUT

I got it super clean.  Took about 10 patches and a few brushes.  Then it was moderate with crap down the barrel.  Fired a few rounds, it cleaned right up.  It's still pretty inaccurate though.  I can get 5" groups at 50 yards with it using a rest.  But it could be because it shoots so ridiculously high that I was aiming at the bottom of the black circle on the target. 

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »
Could it maybe need a new crown? It is a simple fix if that is the case.
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 08:25:16 PM »
Depends on the ammo as well, these mosins are picky and what should be done when you get one is buy a box of winchesters or remingtons and give it a try with that commercial ammo before using mil surp. Ive seen mosins shoot terrible with all types of milsurp, but with commercial they are tac-drivers. Not making any promises but id say give it a shot, not like it could hurt.

ZackG

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »
yeah i know they are picky, but thats being very picky. haha. If it will only shoot commercial brass, then i wont shoot it b/c of money.

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »
Could take up reloading, there is also wolf, brown bear, silver bear, sellior and bellot are all decent priced ammo.