Author Topic: YUGO Rebuild  (Read 2299 times)

collector48

• SKS Expert
YUGO Rebuild
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:18:44 AM »
I know this has been hashed over many times, but its still confusing to many, including myself. I have a old beater YUGO, that I want to redo as a shooter for target practice. I have already removed the Grenade Launcher, night sights and bayonet mount. I want to put on a muzzle brake (permanently attached) I plan on using the original butt stock with a USA made metal hand guard. I also plan on using USA made 5 and 10 round detachable magazines. Would this set up be 922 compliant, or do I have to jump through a few more hoops........

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
Re: YUGO Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:28:15 AM »
Shouldn't have any problems- you've removed features and now it seems to the legal equivalent of a bayonet-less Norinco- a non C&R sporter. 

I'd use the factory mag rather than an aftermarket- using a detachable may make you need to replace more stuff to be 922 (r) compliant
If you don't know, shut yer hole

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:16:18 AM »
If he replaces the Gas Piston then it will be fully 922r compliant with the aftermarket mags. At least he could keep the wood stock.

muzzle Brake = 1
magazine  = 2
gas piston =1
hand guard = 1

collector48

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 11:00:50 AM »
I thought the mag counted as 3 parts, plus doesn't removing the "evil" parts count as something. I told you I was confused....

floor plate
follower
body

Correct me if I'm wrong..

jblomenberg16

• SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
You might want to read the sticky thread on 922 compliance.  You'll still be confused (like the rest of us  8) ), but there are a couple of key points:

-If a rifle is considered C&R (Yugo SKS's are), then to remain legal, it needs to stay in the original condition with all original parts attached and installed.

-If original parts are removed from a C&R rifle, then it must comply with 922 and have less than 10 imported parts.  Added parts made in the U.S.A. will help you meet the 10 or less requirement, but remember it isn't what you add, its what you remove from the imported parts list.

-Evil features added or removed usually apply more to state and local regulations restricting certain things.  But, you can have these features on a rifle that is 922 compliant if the parts count is correct.
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.  - Ghandi

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
Generally you can remove all of the evil features and still be legal although no longer C&R

Adding additional "evil" features like a pistol grip or detachable mag brings on 922r

The language in this section of law states refers to assembling a copy of a rifle that would not be importable

This law was in effect when the Chinese SKS was being imported (without a bayonet)- an SKS can be legal though not C&R and not having additional parts replaced for 922r compliance
If you don't know, shut yer hole

collector48

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:23:34 PM »
I finished off the YUGO today, and have posted some pics. I decided not to try and refinish the stock, since it was so beat up. I filled in all the gouges and dents, sanded it and painted it with camo black paint. I then gave it a couple of coats of matte clear paint with a semi textured finish. The barrel has been shortened 2 inches, re threaded and a TAPCO muzzle brake silver soldered on. I also opened up the front sight after modifying it. I did this on another YUGO that I have, and liked the look, plus it makes it easier to see the front sight. I added a rail under the barrel for the bi-pod, and a metal hand guard. I decided on a CHOATE receiver scope mount, and added a red/green dot scope with 2x magnification. I am using a 10 rd. PRO MAG detachable mag. I know they can be junk, and this one was too. It took a few hours of tweaking to get to cycle properly. I also have TAPCO 5 rd mags that I plan to use. I decided to go with the TAPCO gas piston to stay legal for the 922 crap, although the original performed without a problem through hundreds of rounds of ammo.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:11:58 AM by collector48 »

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »
I thought the mag counted as 3 parts, plus doesn't removing the "evil" parts count as something. I told you I was confused....

floor plate
follower
body

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Pflug straightened me out on this a while back, it's not what you put on it's what you have left that counts. No matter what you do to it you have to have "10 or less" imported parts. While an aftermarket mag has three parts, the floor plate doesn't count on an SKS because the original mag doesn't have one. They count the housing and box as one part because it's rivited together, or something like that. Same thing when changing to a syntheyic stock. SKS never had a pistol grip so it doesn't do anything to reduce your overall count.

BTW, nice set up
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:17:09 PM by Greatguns »

yugo_ed

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vikingshelmut

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »
I added ... a metal hand guard.

If I can ask, which hand guard did you use?  I'd like to add the same one to my Yugo.  Also is that an original yugo front sight that you modified?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:27:21 AM by vikingshelmut »

collector48

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 04:17:57 PM »
The hand guard is from SKSMAN.com. The front site is what's left of the original GL, as I heavily modified it. I have since went back to my CHOATE stock and the factory mag, and my 4x scope, and a green laser site mounted on a tactical rail under the stock, as I like that set up the best.......for now

reyjking1

• SKS Marksman
  • www.reyjawahir.com
    • reyjawahir.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
If he replaces the Gas Piston then it will be fully 922r compliant with the aftermarket mags. At least he could keep the wood stock.

muzzle Brake = 1
magazine  = 2
gas piston =1
hand guard = 1

magazine is equal to "3" parts

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 08:17:54 PM »

muzzle Brake = 1
magazine  = 2
gas piston =1
hand guard = 1

magazine is equal to "3" parts
No..........the magazine for an SKS only counts as two. If you look at Tapco's site it is incorrect because there is no floorplate. An AK mag counts as three.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:29:33 AM by shawker71 »
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

Jug

• SKS Sniper
  • Eat right,Live right, Die anyway
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
Oh,Oh,Oh!!!! evil black gun  :lol: :lol:

Nice looking rifle