Author Topic: Norinco SKS Question  (Read 4691 times)

Sharpshooter.223

• SKS Newbie
Norinco SKS Question
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
Hello, everyone this is my first post and main reason for joining i recently pick up a Norinco SKS for dirt cheap and would like to know more about it. Here are three photo's

It has the spike bayonet, matching numbers on everything but the mag, trigger group, and top cover. It had been refurbished but i don't know by who but it is in like new shape. On the left side of the receiver it has CAI ST ALB VT Norinco China 7.62x39 and no other marks. I am mainly wondering what it maybe worth and maybe get some history. Any and all help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:50:23 PM by Sharpshooter.223 »

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
Re: Norinco SKS Question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
Looks like an example either rebuilt or built new (probably in '90) for export to the US for commercial sale

Looks like it's in nice shape, with matching numbers should be worth 225-250
If you don't know, shut yer hole

Sharpshooter.223

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the info. I had kind of figured the price out from what I've seen elsewhere but it is always nice to have someone confirm what i found. Now the only problem is is finding a buyer...

J

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »
Pflug, by built new in 90, does that mean they were still manufacturing SKS's up until the 90's? Or was it manufactured with parts that have been laying around for a few decades?

Sharpshooter.223

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
J    I think what he means by 90 is that that when it was produced "new"(remand out of surplus arms)  companies like norinco or century arms have factories make or they buy overstocked new ak's or in this case sks's and have them remand to US Specs and stamped with their serial number.... once again i think...maybe I'm way off

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »
Speculation here- but it seems likely that if the rifles were being surplused that any stocks of new parts would be used up to build or rebuild rifles when they were being exported in huge quantities.  Also seems likely that old receivers in rough shape may have been "cleaned up" and rebuilt as new rifles.  The first digits of these serial numbers seem to correspond with years that lots of Chinese were being imported.

May have also simply been scrubbed and restamped, but these rifles seem to be new or rebuilt condition

If you've got an example with a "regular" factory code to compare against you can see if the receiver's been scrubbed by a difference in the width or thickness
If you don't know, shut yer hole

Sharpshooter.223

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 09:57:20 PM »
That does make sense....to bad i don't have another to compare it to

SIPCAT-C

• SKS Gunsmith
  • BANNED
    • West Virginia Rock 'n Roll
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 10:16:01 PM »
Are you selling it? What area are you in?
Winning over hearts and minds
Three rounds at a time
Two in the heart, one in the head
The ones won over are the ones that are dead

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

"Resistance to Tyranny is Obedience to God," Thomas Jefferson

Sharpshooter.223

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 06:37:04 AM »
SIPCAT-C Yes I am trying to sell it and I am in Southwest Michigan. I am willing to ship as well
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:42:48 AM by Sharpshooter.223 »