Author Topic: Berdan vs. Boxer Primers  (Read 4506 times)

RossA

• SKS Plinker
Berdan vs. Boxer Primers
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »
This has always confused me. I know that there are differences in the actual construction of the primers, and that one is easier to reload than the other, but if you are not reloading is there any difference when you are buying the ammo? Is one cleaner (less corrosive) than the other? Since I am not reloading, I am basically concerned about corrosiveness and other functional aspects. Thanks
God and the soldier we adore
 In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
 God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

oblivionboyj

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Nec timeo nec sperno
Re: Berdan vs. Boxer Primers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »
This is something I would like clarification on as well   :?
"Get thee behind me Satan!" Jesus
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana
"I'm so happy cause I'm a Gummy Bear, GUMMY BEAR" Gummy Bear

jmm

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »
Check wikipedia. It has a good description of the two.
Better to fight for something than live for nothing-Patton
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere-Voltaire

thresher_593

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »
Generally berdan primers are corrosive and hard to reload. Boxer primers are usually easier to reload and non-corrosive.
I'm just holdin' the tail. You guys are the one's pumpin' the cat.

lunicy

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:28:19 PM »
If you are not reloading, then there is little difference to you. Some berdan primers are corrosive, but a quick patch or two when you are done shooting would solve that problem too. IIRC there are no corrosive boxer primed cartridges.

If you are reloading, then you need to stay away from anything berdan primed. You simply can't get them anymore, and they are not interchangable with boxer primers.

Having said that, You can convert a berdan primed case to boxer, but it is strictly not for greenhorns. I have converted a few. There is no reason whatsoever to do so other than to say "I can do it".

I keep some steel, berdan primed cases around. Why? you never know when you might need them.

blue2golf

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »
If I remember correctly, Berdan primers utilize 2 holes to convey the charge from the primer cap to the propellant, while Boxer primers use 1 hole.
"Fishbowl of Bud, ma'am."

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »
Generally berdan primers are corrosive and hard to reload. Boxer primers are usually easier to reload and non-corrosive.

This is not true, Berdan primers have not been corrosive since the late 60's early 70's. Wolf, Barnaul, and others do not use corrosive primers...........
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson & Gunlover

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
    • Beat the Geek....My business....
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:23:13 AM »
http://www.jandcsales.com/762x25.html

7.62x25 Tokarev
Romanian

We a good supply of 1980's Surplus 7.62x25 ammo. This is an 83 grain FMJ bullet. And does it ever shoot! John tested it and got 1612 average FPS over the chronograph. It's brass cased, berdan (non-reloadable) primed and corrosive. It comes in 72 round boxes or 1224 round tins.

Apparently the Romanians didnít get the word on the primers not being made with corrosive elements. :lol: 

Another example of someone correcting another person without knowing the facts. :oops:

Like you have never misspoken in your lifetime. For the most part Gunlover is right. Current run berdan primers (for the most part) are no longer corrosive.

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 12:39:27 AM »
He did not stomp on anyones "phallus"  :shock:, for the most part he is right.

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
Meh, then go somewhere that you can fell appreciated.

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

j20owner

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Thread Killer
    • http://www.xaclan.com
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 02:02:41 AM »
Wow, I must have missed something inside this thread.

Boxer on the left, berdan on the right.  You can flatten the berdan anvil and drill a boxer flash hole, but there are many different diameters of berdan primers.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
Wow, I must have missed something inside this thread.

Looks like there are some missing barkbarry posts- doubt anything is really missing
If you don't know, shut yer hole

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »
unless you don't mind some mind numbing doublespeak.....  :?

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
Well if I am wrong I will admit it, no need to get anyones panties in a bunch. It was my understanding that all manufactures had done away with corrosive primers for the fact that the weapons where jamming for lack of cleaning...  Not only jamming but the effects that it has on the rifle barrel, pitting rust and so forth. I did not believe that they would continue to use these, unless they had stock piled the stuff.

I have even seen X39 brass case and corrosive primers although they do not state the manufacture date. It is a possible that their is still more out their I would definitely stay away from it, unless it is a unbeatable price like $2.00 a box you can always clean your weapon later that day...
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson & Gunlover

GTwannabe

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
Boxer primers are typically found in US and US-spec ammo.  They can be corrosive or non-corrosive, however, most commercial ammo loaded after the 30's uses non-corrosive primers.  US military primers were corrosive through the 50's.  WWII-Korea era Garand 30'06 ammo is a good example of corrosive boxer primers.

Berdan primers are more popular with European ammo makers.  They are a pain to reload, as you have 2 tiny, non-centered holes.  All Soviet/Russian ammo up until ~1994 used corrosive primers.  Corrosive primers offered longer storage lives and better extreme cold reliability.