Author Topic: Sears & Roebuck Model 101.100, 20 gauge single barrel shotgun  (Read 3441 times)

makarov

• SKS Sniper
Sears & Roebuck Model 101.100, 20 gauge single barrel shotgun
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »
Hey Guys,
Does anyone know anything about these? A friend of mine called me tonight saying that he had one come into his gunstore and I'm going to check it out tom morning. All I can find out is that they were made by savage. I know savage is a good namebrand when it comes to rifles. But, I don't know nothing about the shotguns.

Can anyone give me some info?
Thanks!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:19:05 PM by makarov »
i don't own a makarov anymore.

grousedog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: Sears & Roebuck Model 101.100, 20 gauge single barrel shotgun
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:14 AM »
Stevens/Savage made some great shotguns.I've owned a couple of pumps and a single shot model 9478.All have preformed as good or better than other guns of equal value.

makarov

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 02:12:23 PM »
Well, I checked it out this morning and it's in really good shape. The stock & forearm could use alittle tlc but the metal is in really good shape. The bore is nice & shiney too. Locks up really tight. Does have just a slight bit of sideward play but I think that's supposed to be normal.

The odd thing I noticed was the push button ejector is on the left side of the reciever. Alittle akward but, I could probably get use to it. Also, the hammer sits halfway back on it and you can move it forward with your thumb and push the firing pin onto the primer but once you let go of the hammer, it'll go back. It has like a spring in it. There is no transfer bar safety on it like there is on my NEF 12 gauge & my H&R 410. I was alittle worried that it could go off if the hammer would strike a rock or something while the hammer was still down. My dads old stevens is set up the same way but, his has a half-cock notch on it. This one here doesn't seem to have a half-cock notch unless a loaded round would change that. Maybe it does have a half-cock notch but, I didn't notce it.
I don't see a gun company making a gun & selling it if it wasn't safe to use..
I'm gonna test fire it tom and see what it's like.

oblivionboyj

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Nec timeo nec sperno
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
Please give a range report.
I was thinking about picking up a 12 gauge single myself.
I would like to know now long it takes to cycle a shell from shot to shot.
"Get thee behind me Satan!" Jesus
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana
"I'm so happy cause I'm a Gummy Bear, GUMMY BEAR" Gummy Bear

7.62x39

• SKS Sniper
    • gunco
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »
LOL, I had one of those old push button Sears models, except mine was a 12 gauge. It was my first shotgun. I bought it brandy spanking new back in the late 60s for something like $40 at my local Sears. I think shortly after that they changed the brand name to Ted Williams

makarov

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:03:54 PM »
When I was looking it over this morning. I think I might of mastered the skill to opening it up. I'm right handed and I could use my middle finger wrapped down underneath the reciever to push on the button. Other times, I was just using my right thumb. I'm not good at telling how the pattern will be or how it'll shoot. but, I'll see what I can do. This is just to see if I would still want it.

7.62x39, Did you ever have any problems with yours going off accidently? Was there a half-cock notch on the hammer? I have a Winchester 30-30 that has the ted williams name on it. It shoots & works great.. I have no problems with it..

makarov

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »
Hey Guys,
I bought the gun today and it's a sweet shooter. It seems to shoot very well. I don't know how the pattern is yet but I seem to hit the pop bottles pretty well from 25 yds away with every shot. I really like it..

From firing a shot to reloading & shooting again, I say it took me about 5 to 7 seconds. I have to say it is akward to open the barrel up because I'm use to having the button up by the hammer, But like I said, I think I can get use to in time..

Also, I'm actually not worried at all with the way the hammer is set up on this gun. I figured the transfer bar safety could mess up on my H&R anytime so, I should just enjoy my new toy & continue to pratice my safe gun handling techniques.. My dad thinks I got a pretty good deal..

Well, Just wanted to let you all know what I decided on.