Author Topic: Tapco Gas Tube Won't Fit  (Read 2987 times)

ditmagain

• SKS Newbie
Tapco Gas Tube Won't Fit
« on: November 12, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »
I bought a new gas tube from Tapco.  I removed the old gas tube and hand guard and tried to install the new one.  It would not fit.  So, as instructed by the tapco instructions, I filed the 45% angled notch on the gas tube.  After filing it still would not fit so I filed it some more.  I've filed it a lot and it will not fit.  So, my question is?

1.  Do I keep filing?
2.  Do I buy one from someone else?
3.  If I need to buy another one where do I get it?

Does anyone know if there is an SKS expert out there that can help me with this?

I'm sure someone will suggest installing the old gas tube, but I ruined it when i tried to drill out the end cap pin. 

mjm9536

• SKS Marksman
Re: Tapco Gas Tube Won't Fit
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
I have one from Tapco as well and IMO you don't/shouldn't need to order a new one or a non-tapco one for that matter.

When I fit mine, I had to file a LOT more than I anticipated.  That may have just been because I was being very cautious and not wanting to over do it and have a loose fit though.

PS you will find all the SKS experts you could ever need here!

More description on just how its not fitting will be helpfull to those who know more than me.. I've only done it once.

Good luck!

eagle1

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:47:39 PM »
Welcome, ditmagain!  What kind of SKS do you have.  Chinese? Russian? Yugo? etc.  Is it a paratrooper?  Do you need to file both ends? or just the lock-up?  Got any pics of the rifle?

I was wondering why the baseball kept getting bigger.  Then it hit me.

Life is too short to take it seriously.

ditmagain

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »
Wow...first let me say thanks to those who replied. 

It is a Norinco imported by k-sports.  It's the long barrel version, not the paratrooper.  The cam won't slide over the top of the rear of the gas tube.  Therefore, the locking lever won't come down into locked position (the locking lever on the rear site housing).  I did make some progress last night as I found it fits better with the stock off of the rifle.  I've got to file it some more to make it work though.  Also, have any of you had to file the handguard where it rests on the stock?  It seems that when I put the stock back on it pushes up on the gas tube.  If I can file it enough to get the cam to close enough to put the locking lever in place then perhaps I can squeeze the stock into place.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I'll try to get pics when I can.

Thanks!

mjm9536

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
Also, have any of you had to file the handguard where it rests on the stock? 

Ahh!  I forgot to mention that, I actually did have to do just that. I filed and filed then it hit me... and I shaved a little off the bottom of the hand guard and wallah! It fit great!  I was danger close to having over filed the tube though because I didn't think to file the handguard right away.

oldgoat

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
I had to file my TAPCO handguard to fit too. it was very tight.
Before the government can give money to one person, it must seize it
from another.

CCampbell0001

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

Ahh!  I forgot to mention that, I actually did have to do just that. I filed and filed then it hit me... and I shaved a little off the bottom of the hand guard and wallah! It fit great!  I was danger close to having over filed the tube though because I didn't think to file the handguard right away.

I filed the little 'nipples' off the bottom and that seemed to get the height right. I hope i didn't file too much before i read this.

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »

If  you can have someone take a couple of photos, close up as possible, I suspect you'll get the info you're seeking straight away.

I filed the little 'nipples' off the bottom and that seemed to get the height right. I hope i didn't file too much before i read this.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse stock folding adapter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
Unwritten rule of the Tapco SKS furniture whether an HG installed on an existing tube or a complete replacement tube. Always install the tube first and get it locked into position, then instal the main body. They are made for tight lock up to help hold zero if using the HG rail for a scope/sight of any kind. Filing the teets off the bottom can affect that.

Unwritten Rule of the Tapco gas tube. Check for fit down into the rear sight base for over all length first, File square to achieve desired length, then start filing as needed on the angle. The angle is only for the lock down of the lever latch. If your tube is not seating all the way down and you have been filing at the angle then there is a possibility you have filed too much if the other wasn't done first. If it goes down into its full seated position but you just can't get the lever locked down remove the main stock body then try installing the tube. If it is already off then check your angle. It could be you just need to change that. If you find after checking those things it has been filed too much and is loose, take the tube to a welder and have him tig weld a bead back onto the tube so you can refile it. to the proper fit. Make sure he doesn't weld into the hole for the piston.

jtcarter1

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
Just ditched my Tapco hanguard, and installed a "Cheese Grater"... Fits too tight also. Haven't messed with filing it yet though... Everything is either "file to fit", or too small on these things. Best to get the "file to fit" stuff!

nhraidersfan

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »
yea the Tapco information that comes with the tube says "the amount of material removed should be no more than the thickness of a dollar bill". a dollar bill mics at .004" +/- .0005, I had to remove about .040" to get it to fit. the unfortunate thing is the time and effort it took to make it fit, the positive part is that it is a custom fit to my rifle and fits llike a glove.
Peace through superior firepower