Author Topic: stripper carry pouches  (Read 3006 times)

Kev_n_AZ

• SKS Newbie
stripper carry pouches
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:17:03 AM »
anyone suggest carry pouches for loaded stripper clips??

I hate to have mine loaded and stacked in an ammo can.  bulk carry reduction would be nice.
as I told my kids...we live in this FANTASTIC country! we have the God given right to bare and own arms. we are at this GUN SHOW to celebrate that right!!

res45

• SKS Guru

Kev_n_AZ

• SKS Newbie
Re: stripper carry pouches
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 01:39:34 PM »
thank you!
as I told my kids...we live in this FANTASTIC country! we have the God given right to bare and own arms. we are at this GUN SHOW to celebrate that right!!

bub

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »
Hi, all. I had a computer crash last year and lost all my bookmarks, including this site. I just found it again.

A couple years ago, I was also looking for an option for carrying stripper clips for my Paratrooper. I didn't like anything I found. I'd tried various pouches, including the Chinese bra and some various US surplus pouches, without success.

While digging in my "box of surplus stuff" looking for something else, I found an East German AK74 pouch that had been mistakenly included in with a bunch of East German AK47 pouches I had ordered some time ago from Northridge International. Since they wouldn't fit AK47 mags and I didn't have a '74 clone, it had just been stuffed in my "box of stuff" and forgotten about. I had an inspiration and tried some SKS stripper clips in it and they fit. They went WAY down in and were hard to grab but they fit. I tried a 20 rd box of Wolf ammo in the bottom of the four cells and not only did they fit well, they raised the stripper clips up to where they were easy to grab. I scavenged the shoulder straps off of a couple of the surplus US pouches (M60 ammo pouches, I believe) and sewed them onto the AK pouch and, VIOLA!, a good, rugged SKS stripper clip pouch!

Here's a front view. The webbing from the individual US pouches was too short, so I put in a couple of Fastex buckles. They were initially added so I could add some length and use the straps from the two separate US pouches but also allow the pouch to be unclipped and removed if it gets hung up on anything or you need to ditch it in a hurry. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'2" and 225lbs. I allowed plenty of adjustment in case I use it in the summer with just a t-shirt, in the winter with a heavy coat or anything in between.

Side view showing how I sewed the strap onto the pouch. I'm NOT a professional seamstress so the sewing isn't pretty but it is strong. It was hard as all get out pushing the needle through the vinyl/canvas combination of the pouch!

Interior view. Each cell holds 4 loaded stripper clips with a full 20 rd box of ammo in the bottom, for a total of 240 rds.

Detail of the boxed ammo in the bottom of each cell. They are a snug fit so I didn't take them out.

Detail of clipped ammo, 4 loaded clips per cell.

The pouch with my Para.

This was just what I was looking for, something to just "grab and go", without having to worry about putting it on, messing with ties or buckles or anything else. It's a little heavy with 240 rds but is MUCH lighter than 240 rds in AK mags for my AK clones. Also makes a great range bag since it has a shoulder strap, allowing you to sling it and have both hands free to carry range supplies. I left the belt loops on the pouch primarily so I didn't have to worry about ripping/cutting the pouch while removing them but they are also nice to have in case the pouch needs stabilization with a belt if doing strenuous activities.

The pouches I bought were from Northridge International. I bought AK47 pouches but, like I said, I think this one was actually an AK74 pouch because 47 mags won't fit in it. Northridge sells them $5.00 for one (item #SN-26N for one AK47 pouch) or, strangely enough, 5 pouches for $10.00 (item #SN-26 for 5-AK74 pouches or #SN-26A for 5-AK47 pouches). Webbing, Fastex buckles and the slider adjusters can be found at a lot of outdoor specialty places if you don't have any other pouches to scavenge from. A word of advice- if you do this, use webbing as wide as you can get. It helps spread the load out over a wider area and helps with comfort. If you use narrow webbing, I can imagine the pouch would get REAL uncomfortable REAL fast, digging into your shoulder from the weight.

Bub

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »
It's very hard to get strippers to stay in your pocket, they like to fall out, or leave when you run outta money  :lol: .
 Pin a 20 inside your pocket, and good luck to ya.

Oh, stripper clips.  Yeah.

I've got two of these...

Clay

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
I've had the one from CTD for 4 or 5 years now. I'd recommend it, because it holds a ton of ammo, is durable and is cheap.

rict

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
I just found these online. They look like they are very specific for SKS stripper clips, but I haven't ordered any yet:

SKS 120 RND CLIP POUCH

http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/005.html

rict

Alabama

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Shoot, coward. You are only going to kill a man.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »
It's very hard to get strippers to stay in your pocket, they like to fall out, or leave when you run outta money  :lol: .
 Pin a 20 inside your pocket, and good luck to ya.

Oh, stripper clips.  Yeah.

Yep. I thought this was about g-strings.  :lol:
GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Alabama , now known as : " Terror in the tree stand "
--Longspring

Yes you are weird.
You are a board supporter on an extremist hobby forum 
--oblivionboyj

john762

• SKS Marksman
  • ...everybody loves a happy volunteer...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
There exists Russian pouches specifically made for sks strippers.They hold 4 horizontally,made from leather/vinyl with post/strap closure.ReichTrade@aol.com sells them for about $3 ea. He has no pictures on his site & I can't do pictures...perhaps someone who is familiar with these pouches will post a pic. They have belt loops on the back & come in "pebble" brown usually although black pouches could be found in the past. They are very compact for carry & can be used as a horizontal carry for other items such as a pair of 15rd, Beretta 9mm mags. You can thread  them on a belt & make your own style bandolier....VERY HANDY!
"Evolution/Revolution"

ruston61

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
  For deer hunting this year my 11 year old son used a sks. I took a stripper clip and cut it in half with a cold chisel now 2 clips that hold 5 rounds each and fit nicely in your back pocket....
Last man standing wins..........

Okami

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »
I had this setup for garand clips and it works very well.
You can also get them with either molle or alice attachement.
I have also used a paraclete dual smoke grenade pouch and i got 80rds in each pouch for 160 total.
A Maxpedition small dump pouch would work
and i've got one of these i'm going to use as a go-to bag for my sks. http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1202
Good luck!

I just found these online. They look like they are very specific for SKS stripper clips, but I haven't ordered any yet:

SKS 120 RND CLIP POUCH

http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/005.html

rict

MannyCT

• Life Member
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 11:31:46 PM »
Let me get this right.

Bub's AK pouch is less than $10 - and some elbow grease.
M@d H@tter's are probably a few bucks more - but are still surplus.
We have Rict's website with pouches and vests.  I saw vests were $90 or so - I think.
Then there's Okami's bag.  That prices out at $128!!

I'm very partial to the idea that "less is more".  The website for Rict's pouches has a "velcro sucks" policy - but that $128 range bag surely has it's share of it.

Manny

rict

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »
Personally, I think that any pouches for stripper clips should hold them horizontally rather than vertically; less chance of individual rounds bouncing out of the clip while you're running/bending over/bumping against things.

I just got some MOLLE canteen covers/utility pouches that the 10-round strippers fit PERFECTLY in horizontally. Each pouch can hold 4 clips comfortably, and each pouch was $5. I'm going to purchase a few more so that I can also carry some canteens. :lol:

They also carry Tapco 20 rd mags very nicely...

rict

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
I also have one of these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=BAG-182

which is somewhat similar to bub's AK pouch, with multiple interior compartments that hold the stripper clips vertically, and multiple exterior pockets for other small items. CTD shows it as "no longer available", but I'm guessing it will show up again at some point.

rict

MannyCT

• Life Member
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »
Rict's last 2 items look pretty good to me.  Workable & priced right.
Thanks for sharing, Rict

Manny