Author Topic: What do you think about a Skyy CPX-1 9mm pistol??  (Read 6825 times)

huntersrain1

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • At a loss for words....
What do you think about a Skyy CPX-1 9mm pistol??
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »
I was at the gun show last weekend and I saw this pistol. Never had heard or seen of one of them before. I asked the fellow and he replied they had only been making them for 9mo.-1yr. So I had to pick it up and look at it. First thing that hit me was, "Wow this fits my hand nicely!". Second was the trigger. :(     Anyways took it to the range and shot about 100rds. I started out with my handloads, but they were to harsh on my hand, so I switched to some factory Blazer. Shoots descent, and is fairly accurate at 10yds. Just seeing if anyone else has one. I know that newly produced weapons seem to have bugs, but she comes with a lifetime warrenty. Price was 246.00 out the door...

docbuckhead

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: What do you think about a Skyy CPX-1 9mm pistol??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »
Skyy (now Sccy, they got sued by the Vodka maker) has been around over 3 years.

Their pistol (there is really only one model) is based strongly on the KelTec P-11.

Their is a superfluous (this is a DAO gun) safety, and the gun is NOT plus P rated (no hot loads).

The TP is heavy, around 9 pounds.

They have promised other models, a compact 9mm, and a .380, for over 28 months now.

Their VP got outted on a Forum, touting the product, as if he was a consumer.

In my estimation, after testing one 2 years ago, they are OK, but slightly overpriced.

They do seem to be serviceable, and like most guns, yours will probably become more shootable (improved cycling and TP) with more rounds shot.

I think, at $246.00 OTD, you got a good price.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:49:33 PM by docbuckhead »

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:13:47 PM »
A friend bought one and it does seem a whole lot like a Kel-Tec.  I field-stripped it as per the instruction manual and then we could not get it put back together for all the tea in china!  Something had slipped somewhere, and he eventually sent it to Skyy for repairs, which they did for free.  Because of this I never got to shoot it, but I had to wonder about it because of this incident. 
Truth is the new hate language

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ah....what the heck were we talking about?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:23:51 PM »
I was at the gun show last weekend and I saw this pistol. Never had heard or seen of one of them before. I asked the fellow and he replied they had only been making them for 9mo.-1yr. So I had to pick it up and look at it. First thing that hit me was, "Wow this fits my hand nicely!". Second was the trigger. :(     Anyways took it to the range and shot about 100rds. I started out with my handloads, but they were to harsh on my hand, so I switched to some factory Blazer. Shoots descent, and is fairly accurate at 10yds. Just seeing if anyone else has one. I know that newly produced weapons seem to have bugs, but she comes with a lifetime warrenty. Price was 246.00 out the door...

I have one. Good shooter, no problems. It's my daily carry piece.

"Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

"Seek to understand before you seek to be understood."

"Hew to the line and let the chips fall where they may."

nissan

• SKS Newbie
  • Crap I'm Banned Again Because I'm a TROLL
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
Cheap copy of the Kel-Tec P11.  Supposedly a disgruntled former Kel-Tec employee was behind this.  Same crappy trigger pull.  I've read stories of them self-destructing after a very few rounds (M2Carbine on Glocktalk for one).  I'm surprised their still even in business.  The forum was KTOG.org where the VP came and proclaimed himself to be a satisfied customer with NO ties to Skyy...and got called out on it.  If I remember right, the Prez found out and made him go correct things.

DLL1488

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
I looked at them some time ago.  The gun store by me sold 10 of them.  9 of them came back broken within 2 months.  I guess the newer ones are supposed be better because of less internal plastic parts.  The guy that worked at the gun store told me to stay away from them.  I really hope that yours works out for you.  There is NOTHING worse than a new gun with problems(speaking from experience)

Pastor_In_Disguise

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • www.dontblamejesus.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:43:49 AM »
It looks nice!  I wouldn't mind having one.

sks88

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:59:03 AM »
this is my first time of hearing about it. the finish looks nice, and the grips seem to look like it would fit my hand well. Also, i like the compact look of it..and the safety bar on there. Very nice snag you got..and for a reasonable price. Id shoot it more...and try carrying it on as ccw.

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:59:12 AM »
  There were two big initial problems; one was due to a batch of material improperly spec'd (supplier's fault, not manufacturer's) and too close a tolerance on one section of the slide. These SCCY quickly remedied, even replacing whole pistols. No problems of the same kind from later pistols. Their customer service is tops in these, from 99% of the reports I've read (SCCY forums). I've had ONE problem, and it was an extra mag I bought from an individual.

Truly, it's no more a "Kel-Tec knock off" than Kel-Tec's was a knock-off of earlier designs, since there's nothing really original about the Kel-Tec. BOTH are what they are - $200 CCW/BUG's. Neither are Kimbers, Colts, Glocks, etc.. and they're not designed to be. For a $200 pistol, both are very good.
It's the "Ford-vs-Chevy" argument, but moved to these pistols.

As for the "unnecessary safety", it was a "necessary evil" preemptive move for 50-State compliance. Gun haters don't understand anything except "That pistol doesn't have a safety!" It's easily removable for folks that don't want it.  

John Wayne

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
Cheap copy of the Kel-Tec P11.  Supposedly a disgruntled former Kel-Tec employee was behind this.  Same crappy trigger pull.  I've read stories of them self-destructing after a very few rounds (M2Carbine on Glocktalk for one).  I'm surprised their still even in business.  The forum was KTOG.org where the VP came and proclaimed himself to be a satisfied customer with NO ties to Skyy...and got called out on it.  If I remember right, the Prez found out and made him go correct things.
The stuff of rumours and urban legends. Talk to the guys over here: http://www.skyyforum.com/
John Wayne

nissan

• SKS Newbie
  • Crap I'm Banned Again Because I'm a TROLL
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »
Okay there, fanboy.  I've been following them from the beginning, starting at KTOG.org where Skyy's VP impersonated a customer.  ****ty business starting right there.  :roll:

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »
Okay there, fanboy.  I've been following them from the beginning, starting at KTOG.org where Skyy's VP impersonated a customer.  **** business starting right there.  :roll:
So have I. You got your "facts" off. Besides, your focused on a person, not the pistol; adjust your aimpoint.
John Wayne

greedyfly

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
I don't know anything about the pistol or how the company came about, but I did read the thread where the VP got caught at KTOG praising the Skky and downing KT.

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:30 AM »
That's what I mean about having the "facts" wrong....what happened has aboslutely zero to do with the CPX-1 pistol itself, or the SCCY company.

As I said, I've not had any problems with mine. I've shot enough ammo through it to deem it reliable for carry. As soon as I get another weapon, it'll be my BUG for daily carry and my "Sunday suit" carry.
John Wayne

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 01:28:45 AM »
I haven't bought one yet but have handled a few and it is quite comfortable in my hand. One of our techs was looking for a conceal carry gun and I pointed him towards one and he loves it. They are about $270 here + tax so they are a little to high for my taste. I don't care for the safety lever being plastic though, even on a plastic pistol.
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal