Author Topic: How to modify an SKS to accept detachable mags?  (Read 2283 times)

redstater

• SKS Plinker
How to modify an SKS to accept detachable mags?
« on: November 30, 2008, 02:16:01 AM »
Howdy, y'all! I picked up a 1957 Romanian a while back and, while I'm more than happy with the standard non-detachable 10-round magazine, I was thinking about picking up a 20 round Tapco detachable "just in case" it ever might come in handy to have a little more firepower. I've heard it tossed around a lot that you need to do "something" in order to make detachables fit properly in a wooden stock, but I'm not entirely sure just what that "something" is, exactly. And if I modified my SKS so that it'll take a detachable mag without complaint, could I still go on using my standard non-detachable mag?

519-CITRUS

• SKS Marksman
Re: How to modify an SKS to accept detachable mags?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:34:04 AM »
Redstater , First let me welcome you to the boards. you will find a wealth of great info here.

As far as the Tapco mags are concerned, sometimes they fit just fine right in the wooden stock.

If you have any trouble at all it will be that the mag well is just a little too narrow to accept the Tapco mags.

Simply file or sand (depending on how much material needs to go) the mag well so it fits.

And the origional 10 rnd fixed mag will go right back in.
"Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Frederich Nietsche

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:04:36 AM »
Thanks Citrus, that's great news. I'm pretty sure that slapping on a 20 rd detachable is illegal, but it's nice to know that with a little tweaking I can make it compatible all the same. If I ever do decide to go all-out 20 rd I'll go ahead and get the complete Fusion system from Tapco so I'm nice n' legal!

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
Okay, so I just got my first 20-rounder from Tapco and I gotta say I was a bit disappointed. I had my sandpaper and wood chisels all out and ready to go, but the darn thing just snapped right in there snug as a bug, no alterations needed. It feeds perfectly, and I even loaded 10 rds into it with a stripper clip without trouble (I decided not to press my luck trying to load in a second one). My only complaint was that I didn't quite realize how big the 20 rd magazine was (one of the reasons I'm not all that interested in a 30-rounder is because of how ugly it makes the gun look); I thought maybe the gun would still retain some of its elegance with a medium-sized mag on it but nah, no such luck. Just a minor cosmetic quibble. That, and apparently you have to empty the whole thing before you can remove it and switch out mags.

According to Tapco, their 20-round magazine counts for 3 U.S. made parts, so all I'd have to do now in order to have a legal firearm is find myself a U.S.-made gas piston. That, or I could spend a little more and get that spring-loaded firing pin, which I actually planned on getting eventually, anyway.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »

According to Tapco, their 20-round magazine counts for 3 U.S. made parts, so all I'd have to do now in order to have a legal firearm is find myself a U.S.-made gas piston. That, or I could spend a little more and get that spring-loaded firing pin, which I actually planned on getting eventually, anyway.

Actually it only counts for two compliance parts as the factory SKS mag isn't considered to have a floorplate.

Spring loaded firing pin doesn't count toward compliance either
If you don't know, shut yer hole

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:25:26 PM »
Hmm, that sucks. Any suggestions for what else I oughtta replace?

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »
LIST OF 922 RELEVANT SKS PARTS
1. Receiver
2. Barrel
3. Bolt
4. Bolt carrier
5. Gas piston
6. Trigger housing
7. Trigger
8. Hammer
9. Sear
10. Disconnector (see below)
11. Stock
12. Handguard
13. Magazine body
14. Follower

Why isn't the firing pin the same thing as a "hammer?"  :confused2:

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 07:38:50 PM »
???

I suppose we could ask a nail.  :lol:

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:35:05 PM »
Well I guess if I snagged up a new stock and handguard, that'd do the trick. It'd be sorta like having two rifles: When I wanna shoot with the detachable, I use my synthetic stock configuration, and when I wanna use my standard configuration, I can just pop everything out and stick it back into my trusty wooden stock with non-detachable magazine.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:39:25 PM »
If you wanted to keep your wooden stock and Tapco mag you could swap the gas piston and handguard- I used one of the metal "cheese grater" handguards on a chopped Yugo and think it goes great with the wood

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »
Nah, honestly I don't like the way the 20 rounder looks on the wood stock. I'd rather keep the non-detachable with my wood stock, but the detachable would look nice on a T6. It would cost a little bit more to get a $60 stock, but I'd have a lot more to show for the expense.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »
I don't think the high cap looks that bad...........

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »
Yunno, you're right, that handguard doesn't look half bad. (*sigh*) I'm gonna have mine looking that purdy some day...

The mag, well, it sorta makes it look like a ghetto m14 doesn't it! :)

dusty10

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 06:37:41 AM »
redstater, you are a purist at heart.. 8)
"You cannot help the  poor by destroying the rich. You cannot
strengthen the weak  by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about
prosperity  by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up
by pulling the wage payer down."  Abraham Lincoln