Author Topic: Bolt Mod for detachable mag  (Read 1555 times)

SKS Al

• SKS Marksman
Bolt Mod for detachable mag
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »
 I forgot that the bolt mod needs to be done to accept and use detachable mags.  Why is it needed anyway? From looking at the sticky on this forum, it seems pretty straight forward with a Dremel.

enfieldshooter303

Re: Bolt Mod for detachable mag
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:02:32 PM »
it doesn't NEED to be done, its only purpose to accept them with the bolt closed which if you have the bolt hold back the bolt stays open for you to reload after last round is fired anyway, this mod is pointless :lol: but i did it anyway :lol:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:13:42 PM by enfieldshooter303 »

SKHESS

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »
You can put a magazine in and out with the bolt closed. Also letting you perform tactical reloads.
Better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it.......BOOM!

SKS Al

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:25:56 PM »
   This may sound like a dumb question but if you put the magazine in while the bolts closed, you'll still need to "rack" the bolt like a slide on a handgun to load the round right? Without this mod, does the magazine get locked in by the bolt? Also, if there a round in the chamber, and you remove the magazine, will the rifle still fire? I guess it wouldn't hurt to do the mod. I thought the mod was necessary.

enfieldshooter303

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 09:29:16 PM »
   This may sound like a dumb question but if you put the magazine in while the bolts closed, you'll still need to "rack" the bolt like a slide on a handgun to load the round right?
yes

Without this mod, does the magazine get locked in by the bolt?
nope

Also, if there a round in the chamber, and you remove the magazine, will the rifle still fire?
yes

SKS Al

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
 That was quick enfieldshooter303. Thanks. I liked how you individually answered my questions. One thing about the, Without this mod, does the magazine get locked in by the bolt? If the unmodded bolt doesn't locked the magazine in place with the bolt closed, then why wouldn't you be able to take the magazine out?

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »
I think the whole idea behind modding the bolt this way is to make the SKS more like an AK. That is, you don't have to empty the entire magazine before you can change it out for a fresh one (a fairly valuable asset in a hairy situation I'd imagine, but otherwise pretty much useless). You can already remove the mag before it's completely used up without modding anything however; it's just kinda tricky: With your right index finger pull back the bolt while using your right ring or middle finger to pull the mag release, then yank the magazine out with your left hand. Takes a little practice, and you'll waste a perfectly good bullet every time, but I can do it without thinking now.

redstater

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
Oh, and this may be a dumb question but, couldn't you just take a bolt from an SKS-M and drop it into a regular SKS and get the same effect? I mean, that's essentially what the mod is, right?

Agouti

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 11:40:48 PM »
(a fairly valuable asset in a hairy situation I'd imagine, but otherwise pretty much useless)

As is the SKS's semi-auto capabilities, and larger capacity magazines. But that's what we perfect them to be one day. Isn't that the goal of everyone who modifies their SKS, to make it work better in a hairy situation, should the need arise? Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

enfieldshooter303

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »
(a fairly valuable asset in a hairy situation I'd imagine, but otherwise pretty much useless)

As is the SKS's semi-auto capabilities, and larger capacity magazines. But that's what we perfect them to be one day. Isn't that the goal of everyone who modifies their SKS, to make it work better in a hairy situation, should the need arise? Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
well put

Agouti

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 11:43:17 PM »
Oh, and this may be a dumb question but, couldn't you just take a bolt from an SKS-M and drop it into a regular SKS and get the same effect? I mean, that's essentially what the mod is, right?

It's cheaper just to modify an already existing bolt, but sure, if you have an SKS-M bolt (and it's headspaced right, usually only other pinned barrel Chinese)
but if you have a pinned barrel Chinese, and it's headspaced you lucked out.

Of course, you can always buy pre-converted bolts by Murray, or have him convert one for you.

Doby45

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Shooter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »
That was quick enfieldshooter303. Thanks. I liked how you individually answered my questions. One thing about the, Without this mod, does the magazine get locked in by the bolt? If the unmodded bolt doesn't locked the magazine in place with the bolt closed, then why wouldn't you be able to take the magazine out?

The bolt will hold the magazine in the weapon even if you try to disengage the mag release.  The bolt has grooves on the side the correspond to the feedlips on the magazine.  When the bolt is closed the feedlips sit in these grooves therefore "locking" the magazine to the weapon.  When you modify the bolt you remove the bottom section of the grooves in the bolt and the lips no longer have something holding them to the weapon.  But Enfield is correct the rifle itself is what "locks" the magazine to the rifle.  If it didn't the magazine would fall out everytime you shot it.  :o

idleclamp

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I'm a avid gun 'enthusiast', but brand new the SKS area of rifles.  My neighbor bought a SKS at a gun show and tried to put a 30-round detachable magazine in it, but the bolt would not close.  He asked me for help and at first I said 'cut down the feed lips on the mag'.  But I decided to look online a little first.  It sounds like mods need to be made to the bolt?  I wanted to make sure he didn't have the ONE mag that wouldn't work in his rifle before I grind on it, but it sounds like the grinding needs to be done on the bolt to make the bottom of it skinny enough to pass through the magazine feed lips.  It that correct?
Thanks!

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 02:47:50 PM »
  With an empty mag the bolt shouldn't close

If the mag is enough out of whack that the bolt won't close at the sides I certainly wouldn't recommend modifying the rifle to make it work :?

If the bolt hold open is working properly (or the follower is hanging up on the bolt- more likely with most 30 rounders) narrowing the bolt won't make a difference
If you don't know, shut yer hole

idleclamp

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 03:05:54 PM »
I understand that the mag has a follower designed to hold the bolt open when it's empty.  The problem is that the bolt is hitting both lips on the mag, which is why I'm asking if it sounds like I'm trying to put a Chinese mag in a Russian gun or vice versa or what?  I saw this thread saying that everybody has been taking metal off the bolt, so I want to make sure it's because of this problem before I start cutting. :?