Author Topic: Round nose vs FMJ spire point  (Read 1549 times)

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
Round nose vs FMJ spire point
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »
Ammo to go has both of these:

1000rds - 7.62x39 Golden Bear 123gr. FMJ Ammo
[AG762FMJ]    $259.95
1000rds - 7.62x39 Golden Bear 123gr. FMJ Ammo
Click to enlarge

This is 7.62x39 Golden Bear 123gr. FMJ Ammo. This ammo is manufactured by JSC Barnaul Machine-Tool Plant in Russia. Barnaul is considered to be the premier ammunition factory in Russia, and it supplies most of the ammo to the Russian Military. This ammo has a unique brass plated steel case, which gives you all the characteristics of brass, at a fraction of the cost. Since this ammo is brass plated, it functions much smoother than any other steel cased ammo, and it is much CLEANER than any other Russian brand, such as Wolf. I sell both brands and have shot both brands, and I prefer the Barnaul Golden Bear ammo over the wolf ammo, hands down. This ammo looks, functions, and shoots just like brass cased ammo. This ammo is 100% non-corrosive and the primer is sealed for moisture protection. It comes packed in 20rd boxes, 500rds. per case.

and then there is this one:

1000rds - 7.62x39 Silver Bear 125gr. Soft Point Ammo
[A762SPN]    $254.95
1000rds - 7.62x39 Silver Bear 125gr. Soft Point Ammo
Click to enlarge

This is 7.62x39 Silver Bear 125gr. Soft Point Ammo. This ammo is manufactured by JSC Barnaul Machine-Tool Plant in Russia. The Barnaul plant is considered the premier ammunition plant in Russia, and they supply the majority of the ammo to the Russian military. This ammo has a nickel coating on the case to eliminate any lacquer build up in the chamber and to allow for smoother functioning. This ammo is 100% non-corrosive, steel cased, and new factory ammo. In my opinion, the Barnaul ammo is cleaner and more accurate than the Wolf ammo. We sell both brands and I have shot both brands and I prefer the Barnaul Silver Bear hands down. This ammo is packed in 20 round boxes, 500 rounds per case.

Does anyone have practical experience with both? I like round nose ammo, more punch. At least I did in my other rifles. I have only shot FMJ or JHP in my SKS. Is there any difference in accuracy, performance and down range trajectory? I'm thinking of getting a 1000 rnds or 2.

Thanks Guys, Marcus

There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
Re: Round nose vs FMJ spire point
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »
IMO

I shoot lots of 125 gr sp brown bear  with good results
but never silver or gold   they are suppose to be better
 :sniper
My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:48:53 AM »

Does anyone have practical experience with both? I like round nose ammo, more punch. At least I did in my other rifles. I have only shot FMJ or JHP in my SKS. Is there any difference in accuracy, performance and down range trajectory? I'm thinking of getting a 1000 rnds or 2.

Thanks Guys, Marcus

Marcus welcome aboard,

What is round nose? They both have round noses, If you are asking about SP, it is a very good round specially for deer, which many hear have said.. I have shot the SB SP and they are flawless. IMO all Barnaul ammo is great..

What are you going to use it for hunting or plinking? If hunting then I would get the SP otherwise the FMJ, although these days it really does not matter since the prices are about the same....

GL
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson & Gunlover

density1

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
I would get the Silver Bear because:

1) It's five dollars cheaper.  :lol:
2) Being Soft Point, it will have better terminal performance on whatever it hits. Like for hunting, where FMJ would be illegal.

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »
My brain was saying the same thing. Better punch down range and no issues with hunting. Thanks guys. marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com