Author Topic: How I Remove the SKS Handguard pin  (Read 5346 times)

DLL1488

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
How I Remove the SKS Handguard pin
« on: January 10, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »
I keep reading posts about people not being able to remove their handguard pins.  I have removed about 10 of these so far.  I figured I would show some people how I do it.  I hope this helps somebody...

1.)Here is everything I use.  The big thing is a wooden board with a hole drilled in it.  I also use this for firing pin retainer pins.  I use a total of 2 punches.  The small one is used if you get the pin halfway out and it gets stuck.  2 punches, a hammer, and the wood board w/hole is what I use.

2.)The punch on the left I bought at ACE hardware.  This is probably the BEST tool to have for the job.  It is VERY durable.  I broke some punches in the past, So I got one of these.  It isn't a punch but I use it as one(works great!)  The one on the right is just a cheap punch. 

3.)  I hit the pin on the left side facing me(SEE PIC BELOW).  Put the gas tube/handguard over the hole and whack the pin/rivet with the hammer.  I usually get the pin out within one or two hits.

4.) IF the pin/rivet only comes halfway out, use the small punch to finish the job.

Then when the pins out, Switch your handguard.  The only rifle I had a lot of trouble with getting the pin out was my Yugo.  Thats when I bought the thicker punch and never had the problem again.  I reuse the pin that I knock out.  HOPEFULLY This helps someone.  This is how I do it.

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
Re: How I Remove the SKS Handguard pin
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
Man you have to be really careful using a tapered 'drift' like that one. :roll:
Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »
I've found you need three important things to do this:

A good punch...

A good solid surface (I place the part on a slightly opened vise)...

And, a good technique -I don't mess around, I locate the punch on the part...and hit it solidly.

BTW, I also use a metal file to draw file the pin to be removed on ONE SIDE to remove a little of the "mushroom" end on it (removing a hair of material from the side of the end of the tube)...this eases things.

Often, I make a new pin...sometimes I just epoxy the original pin back in place.

Works for me.

LG :walk: (this is really never a very easy thing to do)

DLL1488

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
Man you have to be really careful using a tapered 'drift' like that one. :roll:
I'm sorry, but what is a tapered drift? :oops:

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:56:04 PM »
It is what you are using to knock out the pin.
Has a taper on the end.
You have to be careful using them.
Not really made for the pourpose of which you are using it.
Straight hole straight pin = straight drift pin.
Those are called nail sets I believe. Used to set a nail below flush.
Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall

DLL1488

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:35:24 PM »
I knew it wasn't a regular punch.  Out of all the punches I have used and broke, this one works the best and holds up to a beating.

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
Wow 10, you've been very lucky.  I've tried to do five like that and never been able to get the pin out without damage.  I usually end up drilling at least part of it after a while.  I then usually end up replacing it with a finishing nail that I push until it's tight and then cut the ends flush & file them smooth.  
I am the one they call Cesar.

roadkills-r-us

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Gimme back my (cheap) bullets!
    • More than you ever wanted to know about me
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
I've punched, pressed and drilled.  I wasted at least 45 minutes on that thing.  I finally gave up and ordered a Tapco with the handguard preinstalled.  I also recommended to Tapco they start selling the T6 with the gas tube, since almost everyone has problems with it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:57:09 PM by roadkills-r-us »
"Yellow is the color of my true love's crossbow" -Elvis Perkins
"Flat earth is the color of my true love's true love's T6" -Roadkills-R-Us

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:55:55 PM »
FWIW, I have initially loosened the pin (just starting it to move) using a heavy center punch.

LG  :?

fb9

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »
Beats trying to hand drill it out, having the drill bit walk and damage other goods..  :roll:

Good work :)

1bdmar

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
Can we say.....Sticky? Thanks for the pics DLL! All the new guys that come around now need this!
For we are many.................

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »
Can we say.....Sticky? Thanks for the pics DLL! All the new guys that come around now need this!

All they have to do is do a search. Not that this isn't a good post but this topic has been discused since the dawn of man.
Well maybe the dawn of man in the US with an SKS.

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »

All they have to do is do a search. Not that this isn't a good post but this topic has been discused since the dawn of man.
Well maybe the dawn of man in the US with an SKS.

Like I've said before, that little pin is the bane of the SKS owners' existence.

Edited for spelling.  Gotta stop posting half asleep.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:47:33 AM by cvasqu03 »
I am the one they call Cesar.

Paulo

• SKS Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 11:52:47 PM »
It is what you are using to knock out the pin.
Has a taper on the end.
You have to be careful using them.
Not really made for the pourpose of which you are using it.
Straight hole straight pin = straight drift pin.
Those are called nail sets I believe. Used to set a nail below flush.

I used a Stanley nail punch to get it loose, then followed with a thin punch also.  If you look at the punch on the left, you see that it is bent, which happens if you use one of those first (unless you have a more expensive punch). 

The only reason it would be bad is if you hit it too hard and enlarge the hole with the taper.  A problem that I think some people have is that they may not realize that the pin has a "head" on it and try to tap it through on the wrong side.

Two of them come with the Tapco stock, and I didn't know what they were for until I re-assembled my SKS  :oops: