Author Topic: Yugo won't eject?  (Read 2308 times)

GodStroke

• SKS Newbie
Yugo won't eject?
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
Hello,  I have a little problem with my bubba yugo.  It won't eject spent shells.  I already have a Murray's gas valve installed.  You literaly have to yank back or pry back the bolt to get the shell out.  It almost seems like the shells are getting jammed into the chamber.  Has anyone had this problem before?  This is the same gun that I posted about last week asking about a pitted bore.

These are the shells I am using.  I dont know where I got them as they are 5 years old.

After looking the rifle over I noticed an area where it looked like the bolt has been hammering the surface just outside of the chamber opening.  Hopefully you can see it in the pic below.

Could this be the cause?  Don't know where to go from here.  The gun used to shoot really good.  I have put about 700 rounds through it.  Just started doing this all of a sudden.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
Re: Yugo won't eject?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:11:19 PM »
First thing to look at is the chamber- looking at your pic blown up it looks like it could use a good cleaning- residue from cosmoline and lacquer from previous ammo (especially combined with any gas system issues) can "glue" the spent case in tight

It's common to see some wear where the carrier slams home- if it's mushroomed enough to be the cause of the problem usually you'll see a small mark in the case.  If there's a problem there is likely the round won't fully chamber at all
If you don't know, shut yer hole

GodStroke

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »
Yeah the gun could use a cleaning.  I have it pretty heavily oiled but there is no oil in the gas system.  The shell seems like it is getting stuck.  I have to really yank back the bolt carrier handle to get the shell out after firing.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
May want to try a good solvent and shotgun brush in the chamber there- some even use a power drill but be careful
If you don't know, shut yer hole

SKHESS

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »
Just checking if the gas valve at the 2 o'clock position? If it is on the semi-auto position follow Pflugs advice. Good Luck!
Better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it.......BOOM!

cashman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
+1 on the power drill & solvent.  Just use care and don't get too aggressive!

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
i'm new to this forum, and this thread is what got me to in through a google search. i'm having the same problem where the yugo won't eject, but even more, i can't even get the bolt open. i got the gun from a friend who was sick of trying to get it to cycle. does anyone have advice?
AK 47 WASR 10 63, SKS 59/66, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Mossberg 702, Mossberg 500
"He said to them, 'But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you donít have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Hello

Does the round fire then the bolt locks forward?
If it does you most likely require a new gas valve if it's a 59/66 with the grende launcher on it.
You can get a SS replacement valve from Murray, he is SKS gun smith and has a forum here.
http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm

The best way to get the bolt open as long as the round has fired it a good whack with a rubber mallet.
Then disassemble the rifle and the gas system clean the tube as mentioned above then replace the valve.
I have purchased several Yugo's like this for cheap and fixed them all for less then $25.00
Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »
this is my first  non-muzzleloader rifle and obviously my first SKS (i live in the communist country of New Jersey) i don't know the teardown of this gun well at all. i'm just hitting it on the bolt, or on the receiver, or what? i'll have to give it a try. thanks for the advice so far. i'll keep you posted on what's going on
"He said to them, 'But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you donít have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
this is my first  non-muzzleloader rifle and obviously my first SKS (i live in the communist country of New Jersey) i don't know the teardown of this gun well at all. i'm just hitting it on the bolt, or on the receiver, or what? i'll have to give it a try. thanks for the advice so far. i'll keep you posted on what's going on

Lol I am in NJ also, small world, that makes 2 or 3 of us on this site now.
Exit 98 for me. I have some good info on break down for you I will get it and post it up.

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77

Jackpine Joe

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »
When I first got my Yugo, I went through the whole cosmoline removal routine and cleaned it up real good......or so I thought. Shot my first ten rounds with lacquered ammo no problem. Set the rifle sown and went to get my buddies. Loaded up another stripper clip full and had major stovepiping. Res45 suggested cleaning the chamber with bore paste. Viola! Problem solved. 100's of rounds later, zero fte.

That has to be one of the more common issues with these for the newb.

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
thanks for the advice Hodgie. i still need to wait for my FIP papers to go through so i can legally bring the gun home. but until that time i'll see if i can make it over to my buddies to tinker with it some. that video is great i can' wait to do the tear down and clean the gun up. maybe all it needs is a thorough cleaning... i hope...

trooper dan

• SKS Newbie
    • whenshtf.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »
I would try using bore polish and switching to a lighter oil. Often times I have noticed that heavier oils gunk up and casings get stuck. I also second about the lacquered casings that someone mentioned. I now use m-pro 7 lube, its an extremely light oil. Of course I keep my guns so clean I can eat off of them.
"Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without."

Boom81

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 05:07:58 AM »
I have experienced this problem with my Yugo as well, my problem was a gas leak.  What happened to me is when the gun was fired, gases leaked around the top of my Tapco gas tube (the original worked fine), reducing the amount of pressure on the bolt so much that the bolt does not go back all the way, since it does not go back all the way, the empty casing does not have a chance to eject yet, the empty casing is then jammed right back into the the barrel.  You should know that when a round is fired the casing expands larger than its original size, brass casings shrink back slightly once they cool, but steel casings do not shrink back.  So that expanded steel casing is getting jammed right back into the barrel, I could only get the bolt back open by hitting it on my bench.  Check out the "Yugo gas system fix" under the Yugo forum it is one of the top ones in bold.