Author Topic: Savage .22 Model 4c pre WW2  (Read 8039 times)

LS6TT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Savage .22 Model 4c pre WW2
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:39:15 PM »
I have a Savage .22 LR Model 4c, from what ive searched it is pre WW2 since there is no serial number and the grip is checkered not smooth.

What I cant seem to find is a value and or accessories if there is no real value.

Anybody here have any clues?

huntersrain1

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • At a loss for words....
Re: Savage .22 Model 4c pre WW2
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »
From Modern Gun Values:

Bolt action; 22 short, 22 long, 22 lr; 5-shot detachable box magazine; 24" barrel; wieghs 5 1/2lbs; take-down; chromium-plated bolt, trigger; pre-WWII version with open rear sight, bead front; checkered pistol grip; american walnut stock, grooved forearm; post WWII model with uncheckered stock; rubber buttplate. Introduced 1933; discontinued 1965.

Pre-WWII model:
Exc:120$  vgood:105$  good:90$

Post-WWII model:
Exc:125$  vgood:110$  good: 100$

Hope this helps you out..

LS6TT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:55:27 PM »
awesome man, that does help.

not really worth me selling, and im not much of a "collector" know of any sites that sell stocks and what not for it?

huntersrain1

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • At a loss for words....
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
Sorry, a search turned up nada. You may be able to ask a gunsmith with a stock duplicator to make you one. Might be pretty pricey though.

LS6TT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:02:28 PM »
darn.

Thanks for the quick info!

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Who I am /\. Things I say >
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »
I'll confirm hunters numbers and info. I managed to inheirit my grand mothers savage 4c.

Now heres another bit of info for you. You can still get cheap mags for them. You just need to do some filing. Go buy a standard savage .22 magazine. On the back side of the mag theres 2 runners that extend past the back of the mag body for the newer style mag guide. File those off so the runners are ALMOST flat with the back of the mag. About 1/16" left.

Had to do this mod abotu a year ago after not finding mag and taking a chance on modding one. Fits nicely after you file it up..and it actually feeds reliably compared to the old mags.

Editied to correct "ear description"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:53:08 PM by Danjal »
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

Danjal

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
Oh.. and if you want to sell that 4c let me know. Im loving mine and would like to get another.

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

LS6TT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:28:06 AM »
I'll confirm hunters numbers and info. I managed to inheirit my grand mothers savage 4c.

Now heres another bit of info for you. You can still get cheap mags for them. You just need to do some filing. Go buy a standard savage .22 magazine. On the back side of the mag theres 2 runners that extend past the back of the mag body for the newer style mag guide. File those off so the runners are flat with the back of the mag.

Had to do this mod about a year ago after not finding mag and taking a chance on modding one. Fits nicely after you file it up..and it actually feeds reliably compared to the old mags.

interesting thanks for the info, the spring in the magazine now is kinda weak, gives me issues on feeding.  Where can I find magazines? when i search I only find the stock 5 shot ones for 15-20 bucks, and the one that is in the gun is actually a 10 shot (never noticed the rails, might have been modified).

Since all in all its a good gun and no real value ill hang on to it. teach my 5 year hold to shoot this in a year or so.

Danjal

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »
I picked mine up at walmart or gander on a whim. It looked close enough and I had another savage in case it wasnt going to work. Spend some caliper time and it looked close enough sooo...

Thats the type I modified.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=400534&aID=503AA5&cID=FROOGLE_400534

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_94903?cm_mmc=froogle-_-400-4-8-_--1-_-38-898-016-70&hvarAID=46KY&mr:trackingCode=46EF5922-11EB-DD11-80C2-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/outdoor/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4961

I had feed problems also. Rounds going above or below the chamber on feeding. The mag was loose and wobbled too. Not anymore.

LS6TT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
thanks!

Do you have the issue where sometimes you have to push the bolt in pretty hard to get it to engage?

That piece that goes on the back should be pointing down and flips to the right?

If i had a picture id make more sense.  If you have a picture of your bolt I can show you what I mean.

Danjal

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru

Danjal

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »

My guess is its not engaging that striker on the back of the receiver correctly. If its where the red arrow is pointed thats the part im referring to. I drew what it looks like just below the bolt. Flat on the back and rounded on the front.  It shouldnt move as its a cock on open bolt.  Im wondering if your bolt body is worn.

Oddly it has a 2 piece "striker and firing pin. The striker being the part im referring to. The bolt rotates and the striker (Now forward and held in place by the receiver from rotating) goes back on opening the bolt. Its finally held up once it gets to the left most position in a "nook" (Or depression what ever you want to call it). The bolt angles so it glides over the bolt surface while opening and finally hits a "nook" where its heldup.

Id wager your bolt is worn on the backside or your "striker" is and its failing to stay in that nook.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:20:17 PM by Danjal »

Danjal

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
The next part of the operation it the bolt going back in and you rotating it so its out of the nook and resting on the back of the trigger. Instead of the bolt. (Same deal here..just in reverse. Striker gets heldup from rotating by the receiver and tries to go forward.. thus landing on the back of the trigger.)

Before I forget. Dont file the back of your mag flat with the body..theres about 1/16" of "ear left" I just looked at both mags. Just make it look like the original or leave some more meat on there for a tighter fit.

Danjal

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
Anyway.. im off to eat now so.. go nuts with questions, or poke around at it a bit and see whats going wrong. I'll be back in a few hours.

LS6TT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »
here is an arrow drawn to that part

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boltqr4.png

to fire it needs to be in the down position, sometimes mine kicks to the right.  Ive taken it apart, cleaned it and does it every once in a while.  no real reason it does it.

I just have to man up and push adn the side of the gun that the bolt slides into will kick it back down.