Author Topic: russian sks shipment in canada  (Read 14784 times)

bumthum

• SKS Guru
Re: russian sks shipment in canada
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 09:21:40 PM »
Another thing to remember about Soviet Bloc rebuilds... at least they normally electropencilled or restamped matching serials.  Most Garands and M1 Carbines are a hodgepodge of parts with differing numbers and finishes (and they came back from the arsenals that way after rebuild).  Both of my Soviet SKSs have varying degrees of refurb (one is original except the stock), the other has refinished metal and replaced stock, but they are both in excellent condition... nothing wrong with a good eastern bloc rebuild.

aceman

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Woodbeef, checked out the markings on both the metal and wood areas,
and there are too many, and too small to make out but this is definitely
a 55/56 tula because it has the small star to the right of the ser # on
the side of the left side of the receiver.

Thanks for everyone's help, Earl.

corrossive

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
After shooting corrosive ammo I keep reading the best way to clean is to pour boiling water in the stripped innards out through the barrel.

Will the boiling water harm the wood at all and can I pour water through the gas tube to clean too?

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 08:19:03 AM »
I wouldnt be worried about the bore of a Russian SKS.  Its everthing else.  The salts from the primers vaporise during firing and then condense all over everything.  I would strip down the bolt take everything out of the gas system and give the receive a good scrubbing.  I think cleaning up after corrosive ammo is like cleaning a muzzle loader... sometimes corrosive is the only choice.

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »
Did anyone mention who the importer is?

There are two importers bringing them in up here. One is IZH,the other is Bell.
Coming to you live from an igloo on an ice floe in the Great White North

braindonor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »
Thanks Woody.

conifergreen

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2009, 12:48:05 AM »
I just bought a Russian refurb and it`s like Woodbeef described in that there is a large steel rod or tube with washers for spacers welded to the floor of the mazine housing to limit the capacity to five rounds. It has really messed the metal up and you can see the weld from the outside. I am really dissappointed about this damage. It also has another limiter where the the follower hinges near its base. My Chinese SKS just has that type of limiter which does the job. It is like a little t shaped pin inside the folower spring that prevents the follwer from depressing all the way down.Of course it could be removed if the hinge pin is taken out while the welded version is a bit more permanent. This is such a silly gun control requirement. A few years ago I had a fixed 5 round Chinese SKS magazine. When it was affixed to the rifle, the magazine was flush to the stock and did not protrude. I sold it along with that SKS. I have searched everywhere to try and find another  but have had no luck. Somebody in China must be making them.I remember it had a star on the side.

vicv

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 08:53:56 AM »
i agree on the welding of the washers to limit capacity. it's ridiculous. legal gun owners don't go out and commit crimes with their guns. criminals do with their illegal guns and criminals wouldn't want an sks anyway. they're too big and too heavy to conceal. you can see the weld mark on the bottom. not only that i believe they replaced the spring with one that won't be strong enough to push ten rounds out. you can still use stripper clips though. just push five in then flip it around when reloading

vettefever333

• SKS Newbie
    • Bless Our Troups
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2009, 01:08:10 AM »
Exactly who is allowed to own a semiauto military rifle in Canada? I am suprised they are not frowned upon to the same extent as any handgun is.  At least that is about the way it is in much of the English speaking world. OK, so they have French language too. Well I bet there is opposition to it up there, if there is here. But grab em while you can. That is a practically give away price.  At that price in the US, a seller could empty a rackfull in one day, easily. 

Well, anyone with a PAL, Possession and Aquisition licence can buy them. Got a CZ858 in the mail from my dealer in January. Here's a picture of my last purchase from a dealer in Saskatchewan which arrived at my door in Ontario, via Canada Post, Wednesday (don't need to go dealer to dealer here). The SKS is a 1952 Tula with matching serial numbers, the bolt was polished last night and came out like chrome. The SVT-40 is a 1941 from the Kovrov arsenal which only made the SVT for about 11 months to a year, makes it somewhat rare, all correct parts, and the M1891/30 is an old workhorse that I just had to have, probably with a very interesting history. The SKS was a "handpick". They sell them up here in two or three catagories. My dealer had two, standard and handpick. My '52 handpick cost me $249.00 shipping included. There are 10,000  Russian SKS's being shipped into Canada late last year and this. The feeding frenzy is on. I am onto another dealer who is getting in their shipment soon, to buy one or two more, but you have to be quick, the waiting list grows. I think that after Clinton, your laws are getting stiffer than ours, but we both have to be on our guard for Liberal governments stepping on our rights.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:18:41 AM by vettefever333 »
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them...

vettefever333

• SKS Newbie
    • Bless Our Troups
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
You could try and see if they will sell and ship some south. I don't know how the import and export rules apply, but I could find out .

By the time excise tax was paid and all the customs paperwork and hassel was dealt with, it probably wouldnt save us in the U.S. any money to import it here from Canada.  We SKS lovers in the US are competing with AK owners, who consume much more than us and so drive up the price (I am not bashing AK owners, I have one too).  I think in Canada you are getting Norinco ammo as well (pulled directly off military production lines, what I have seen even has military head stamps), which cannot be imported into the U.S. (due to the steel core I believe), but which is significantly less expensive than the Russian commercial here.  I thank you for the ammo info, but it has made me even more sad about our state of affairs here in the US.

Heck you compete with the AK47 owners We compete with the CZ 58/858 owners for the ammo. Hold on, I am competing with myself as I own both...I am in a dilemma...laughs...called Frontiertaxidermy today to order a 2X1200 round case of 7.62X39 and a case of 7.62X54...Bought out a store here in Ontario of Norinco Silver Box non-Corrosive two weeks ago...There is some Norinco up here...She asked "how many boxes", I said "all you got"...
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them...

Rurik

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »
Picked up a '50 Tula in Manitoba for $200, came with surplus sling and cleaning kit. Grabbed a mittful of stripper clips and some cheapo ammo while it was on sale. Going back for the real ammo in a week's time.
Pretty damn impressed with my purchase.
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning." - Erwin Rommel.

thumperpaul

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »
Exactly who is allowed to own a semiauto military rifle in Canada? I am suprised they are not frowned upon to the same extent as any handgun is.  At least that is about the way it is in much of the English speaking world. OK, so they have French language too. Well I bet there is opposition to it up there, if there is here. But grab em while you can. That is a practically give away price.  At that price in the US, a seller could empty a rackfull in one day, easily. 

Well, anyone with a PAL, Possession and Aquisition licence can buy them. Got a CZ858 in the mail from my dealer in January. Here's a picture of my last purchase from a dealer in Saskatchewan which arrived at my door in Ontario, via Canada Post, Wednesday (don't need to go dealer to dealer here). The SKS is a 1952 Tula with matching serial numbers, the bolt was polished last night and came out like chrome. The SVT-40 is a 1941 from the Kovrov arsenal which only made the SVT for about 11 months to a year, makes it somewhat rare, all correct parts, and the M1891/30 is an old workhorse that I just had to have, probably with a very interesting history. The SKS was a "handpick". They sell them up here in two or three catagories. My dealer had two, standard and handpick. My '52 handpick cost me $249.00 shipping included. There are 10,000  Russian SKS's being shipped into Canada late last year and this. The feeding frenzy is on. I am onto another dealer who is getting in their shipment soon, to buy one or two more, but you have to be quick, the waiting list grows. I think that after Clinton, your laws are getting stiffer than ours, but we both have to be on our guard for Liberal governments stepping on our rights.

vettefever333

• SKS Newbie
    • Bless Our Troups
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »
don't forget to grab a SVT, from what I hear they are about $325.

Paid $430.00 for mine at Frontier Taxidermy...not including mailing costs.

vettefever333

• SKS Newbie
    • Bless Our Troups
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »
Yup,exactly. But by the colors of the bolt carriers is the quick way to tell who brought them in. The bright bolt carriers(IZH)are the ones everyone scrambles for,whether refurbed or not. The black bolt carriers(Bell)seem to sell at a slower rate. Which I think is only a question of cosmetics. But some of the Bell's do have the messed up magazine covers.
The bolts from both importers (IHZ and Bell) are black if refurbed. It is not the importer that dictates the colour, it is the refurb process in Russia...Black...refurb...original polished potentially unrefurb except in my case, my refurb has the bolt meticulously restored to it's former polished state and looks darned good that way...

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 10:54:50 PM »
Yup,exactly. But by the colors of the bolt carriers is the quick way to tell who brought them in. The bright bolt carriers(IZH)are the ones everyone scrambles for,whether refurbed or not. The black bolt carriers(Bell)seem to sell at a slower rate. Which I think is only a question of cosmetics. But some of the Bell's do have the messed up magazine covers.
The bolts from both importers (IHZ and Bell) are black if refurbed. It is not the importer that dictates the colour, it is the refurb process in Russia...Black...refurb...original polished potentially unrefurb except in my case, my refurb has the bolt meticulously restored to it's former polished state and looks darned good that way...

Not totally true. The earlier IZH imports were refurb marked but with bright bolts and carriers. These were the rifles that were still in blue. The black bolts from the later part of the IZH import,like all of the Bells were painted rifles.
Coming to you live from an igloo on an ice floe in the Great White North